Eminem to re-release "Slim Shady" record on Cassette ... new trend?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stephen J, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Take note, Tony Bennett -- maybe there's some money to be had re-issuing your early recordings on 78 rpm. Now there's a format! Nice and heavy, an album probably weighing 3 or 4 lbs including the binder. The Original Fragile! Lo-Fi! Perfect for mp3s!

fitzrik and rocknsoul74 like this.
  2. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

At least with records you have big artwork. Sound is not perfect, but they have a certain charm and depending on your audio equipment, the potential for excellent sound. I don't see the point to bring back cassettes. They have even smaller artwork than CD's and tapes degrade over time.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Home taping will kill music.

Again.

marc with a c, Hannah and StereoMan56 like this.
  4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Here's the weekly thread that's been going on for years started by someone asking if we knew that cassettes are making a comeback.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Pretty much. And I keep seeing the same people in these threads.

Glad to see someone already chimed in with the observation that LPs have big artwork.

Gaslight and Synthfreek like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Don't forget that cassettes are analog. I know that was what was important to me back in 1985.

StereoMan56 likes this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Upon visits to my local record store, I have witnessed customers asking for and buying cassette tapes so I know there is still interest in them. As far as sound quality goes, I still have some cassettes that I feel are at least on par with CD's and they are analog to boot.

lightbulb likes this.
  8. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I remember when National Record Mart was going out of business in early 2002. I was picking up a ton of tapes to convert to minidisc or I would just create a long MP3 on my computer for SIDE A/SIDE B, as they may been like 5 for $10, you weren't finding these releases for under $10-15 at Best Buy on CD. Picked up a lot of late 90s/2000s releases like you say, but there definitely was a lot missing. A lot of the popular stuff was not available on cassette and noone was going through those racks back then. I distinctly remember buying Snoop Dogg - Tha Last Meal on tape, that was what... 2000? Would be interesting to see how the big label Cassette pressings dropped off over that timeframe.

Few years later, all of those cassettes met their day in a trash bin, as no need for them with MP3. Wish I still had them, but probably would've never played them.

bamaaudio likes this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the music industry has it the way they always wanted it. Now they can sell you something and not really have to manufacturing anything. Although I like MP3 files, for me it's like purchasing air.

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Most of mine went in the trash a very long time ago. Wish I had kept them just so I could sell them.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Sell them? Did you need money for a pack of gum or something? :)

Gaslight likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

StereoMan56 likes this.
  13. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I've never bought a MP3, ripped my entire CD collection over the past 10 years. Now with Amazon, when I buy the vinyl LP, 9/10 I get the MP3 download for free. MP3 holds no value to me as well, it's purchasing air, good analogy.

14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

15. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

driverdrummer likes this.
  16. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Someone who recently bought a used Lexus.

17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Shooter Jennings is going all out! (Shooter is the son of Waylon, for those who don't know)
    He is releasing his new album on Cd, Vinyl, Cassette, 8 track, Digital, and wait for it....... Cylinder!
    Check it out.
    Black Country Rock - BCR Media »

18. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

One of the most pathetic "trends" I guess you'd call it. A novelty, clearly. So ridiculous.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Are you talking about cassettes or Eminem?

(Just kidding). :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Erik B. likes this.
  20. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

And 78's have much better sound compared to cassettes.

21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

friggin' cigar box and piece of twine is probably going to serve them better than one of those $59 Crosley "turntables"

22. braun

braun Active Member

they're cheap to make, and guess what? they sound pretty decent. some people don't care about "big artwork"

Notice Recordings » -- a variety of high quality sound art

lightbulb likes this.
  23. braun

braun Active Member

it's been going on for over a decade. see: American underground noise music (Wolf Eyes et al)

24. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Just a peripheral observation -
    The fact that a cassette mixtape plays an integral role in one of the biggest movies of 2014 says something to me and current pop culture. The film's current box office take is at $773,300,000.00.

If you're like me, who hasn't seen this movie, you may be asking "So, what is this "hipster" flick?"
    Guardians of the Galaxy

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    JohnnyQuest likes this.
  25. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

You'll need one of these of course
    [​IMG]

old4mat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.