Eminem to re-release "Slim Shady" record on Cassette ... new trend?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stephen J, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

I imagine only collectors will buy this and not even play it. I could see the appeal if it was a limited edition.

2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I'm 30 and until I was about 13 I mostly had cassettes, I'm guessing because they were cheaper and I didn't have much income. After that I moved onto CDs and never looked back. I don't miss them at all.

StereoMan56 likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

One hell of a mixtape. :righton:

lightbulb likes this.
  4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Cassettes were more expensive than vinyl in my experience.

AJK74 likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's just for fans, and they seem to be released in such limited numbers that they are almost like promo items. I doubt anyone's making any money off these. Just a way to draw attention to the release or the artist.

As an example, Keith Richards' new album had a limited run on cassette from Newbury Comics. It's priced at $12 and many Stones fans were happy to have one. But there were only 1000 copies made (that's $12,000, or not much more than Keith's bill for a two night stay at the royal suite at a Four Seasons Hotel when he plays your town) and it's still available.

6. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

I have several tape decks and just released a new album on cassette. It's just another format to listen to. Plus these come with the downloads if you don't already know, so you don't even need the deck, you buy it, listen to the downloads, and have the cassette as a cool keepsake. Keep in mind the price point on them is WAY below vinyl.

7. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

well I didn't grow up in the vinyl era, cds were already around when I was born, in fact, and my parents had converted already.... so I've never bought one before. I was comparing cassettes and cds.

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

From an audiophile point of view though you should never use a 4H. 2B is recommended by all the audiophile sites. Some people scoff at this but in a blind test those tapes that had been wound by a 2B were preferred by the majority of the sample group.

Stephen J, Hannah and hamicle like this.
  9. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't miss cassette tapes either, CDs and MP3s are just better and more convenient for portable music. But if i had a tape deck anymore I probably would buy the Eminem cassette, just for nostalgic reasons.

10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The only thing I miss about cassettes is the ability to quickly and easily tape stuff off of the radio, and the nostalgic memories I have around making and listening to mix tapes. But I can live without either of those things in 2016. I'm perfectly happy with CDs, vinyl, and supplementing it with Spotify.

lightbulb likes this.
  11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

(2015)
    Record Store Day’s Best Seller Was A Cassette »

Get this: Billboard reports that the best-selling Record Store Day release was a cassette tape of Metallica’s No Life Til Leather, which sold almost 3,000 copies. (Coming in at No. 2 was The White Stripes’ vinyl reissue of Get Behind Me Satan.) The big sale numbers can be attributed to the fact that Metallica is a huge band, and the concept behind the release is cool — it’s a replica of the demo tape that would eventually land them their first record deal — but some other possible factors are that tapes are a really easy impulse buy, and they are cheaper to ship in bulk to stores than vinyl.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

BIC biro pens are perfect for this. Exactly the right size & shape.

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm very happy with the lp mastering of this album, I think it was cut by Kevin Gray but I may need to check. The cassette is cool collectible for some folks, nothing wrong with that I guess.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Only use green pens though.

15. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I collect cassettes, love cassette decks, love experimenting with recording new mixtapes on the format. I'm a huge advocate for music on cassette, but not in 2016. It's a format purely of its time, and putting new releases on tape and asking money for it? That's just soaked in novelty.

16. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Maybe record companies figure its the format people can obtain a player for, but would have a difficult time (not worth the effort) ripping the music?

17. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Old 80's classic 'boombox's' have become big business on ebay in the last few years.Where classic or rare examples can go for over 1k.They are becoming modern antiques with people trying to find the best examples of long lost units that they had (or hankered after) in their formative years.Maybe the release of classic dance based cassettes coincides with this resurgence?

18. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Ironically, with most computers lacking CD-rom drives nowadays, cassette has actually become the easiest to digitize. :p

19. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

I do know Urban Outfitters has quite a selection of modern albums available on cassette but i'm unsure of the numbers sold.

I can give more info on this release though. The reason it was released is Eminem himself has been working on his own cassette collection and it was supposed to represent the 17th Anniversary of the album, the only real changes made were they made the cassette purple rather than the clear and they added a 3D cover along with some logo changes for Universal on the back. 100 of the tapes were autographed by him on his website and then they sold unsigned copies for a few days. I think when it had closed they had sold a few thousand copies. All unsold copies were put on another site for sale I think for $16 and I don't know if there is still any left but I know Universal tweeted that they were on their way to selling out.

So it's done for fun and 2000 copies at $16 with some changes so it's not identical to the original cassette release in 1999 and for fans it's a nice keepsake.

20. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I could buy the mp3 and get a better sound.

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What a joke. Even worse that vinyl from digital files:cheers:

22. stefanb

stefanb Forum Resident

I wold wager a bet that a cassette sounds very similar to the average persons Mp3 collection downloaded from dubious sources or streamed at 128kb/s anyway - think of it like a crappy real-life version of a crappy digital stream?

eric777 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.