Endless Defective Brand New Vinyl

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Talisman954, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think I explained my return criteria in a previous post. I don't return for the odd tick or pop or even several runs of 3 or 4 ticks unless they are ear piercing pops. I have hardly ever returned an Lp for 'off centre' and I live with some quiet passages with more than slightly intrusive surface noise (as it's likely on all pressings). Even then the intolerable/serious faults are running around 20% fairly consistently over the years. If I purchase only MFSL, Analogue Productions and Speakers Corner that would run a lot lower but on normal vinyl (mostly from the major labels) one off faults persistently remain high. Certain independents such as Madfish I have found have well above average quality. I strongly suspect there are two levels of QC at most pressing plants and some labels pay extra to reject bad pressing runs and have proper test pressings done. I am also influenced by the price for how picky I am. Will let things go on a £12 pressing that I won't tolerate on a £25-£30 disc.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I haven't experienced that at all. Unless you can prove it, this is merely speculation.

ssmith3046 and vudicus like this.
  3. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I think we all could use some caution in responding to others' posts about their experiences, both positive and negative. It's possible that someone reporting a pattern of what seem like remarkably negative or positive experiences might be understanding things differently than we are, but it is also possible that we would react in exactly the same way in the same circumstances. It is very difficult to know unless people get into a lot of detail about what exactly they are describing, what they are expecting, what they might and might not tolerate, what is meant by a "defect" and what is meant by an "imperfection," etc. Maybe we can try to avoid making any assumptions about what people might be experiencing until they have cleared up any such potential ambiguities.

e.s. and Danby Delight like this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

You're a defect!

Danby Delight likes this.
  5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Didn't you return all the Eno's? :unhunh:

6. Warped sense of humour. You shall be returned.

EasterEverywhere, Norco74 and Kevin j like this.
  7. I don't think 'melting' is taking place here.

Tommyboy likes this.
  8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Since you're specifically asking, I found some decent stuff at Josey Records when I was there last year. They had a huge discount section.

9. Django

Django Forum Resident

I bought the new Ariel pink album on Saturday...slightly warped...plays fine though.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I think this thread would benefit from people putting a stop to using their anecdotal experience as testament and sarcastically and passive-aggressively throwing mud on those who are encountering a different set of circumstances by stating that they're silly, too difficult, etc.

Would be nice to see instead of reading "I bought lots of vinyl and don't have the same problems as you so clearly, you're it up, duh..."

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

Regarding warped, or slightly warped records, I use the VPI Periphery ring and it makes the LP flat while you listen to it. Works every time. The cartridge is like a stone using the ring - no up and down whatsoever.

Tommyboy likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I returned all 4 because they were smashed by a courier. Got refund and bought them from Amazon and had to get replacements for two of those (one had two labels stuck over each other and other had noisy surfaces on one side). So that's 6 returns for 4 records.

Doctorwu and richbdd01 like this.
  13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

That's six times the amount of returns than the guy upthread who has 3,000 records or whatever and no returns....

Im not questioning it, I would have done the same. Im just questioning people coming on here and saying they never return records or have faults. The law of averages tells me that isn't the case.

14. I get your point and I know I am one whom it is directed towards, but when the title of a thread is Endless Defective Brand New Vinyl, should the comments just agree with the threads title?

Of course all our experiences are valid and it comes down to the luck or bad luck of the draw and how we deal with what we receive. How demanding we are or what works and sounds best on our particular turntables.

e.s. likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

I'll be blunt and more to the point, then.

It's not *what* is being posted but *how* it's written.

I'd never tell somebody who's describing a frustrating problem to me "Pfft! Haha! You don't know what you're talking about and are wrong about everything!"

But I might instead tell him something along the lines of "Hmmm, I can understand why that'd be frustrating. I'd have the same reaction too, if I were in your shoes! Luckily, that hasn't been my experience."

See the difference? Take notes, people! :righton:

havenz, vudicus, Tommyboy and 3 others like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, we are talking about the condition of vinyl, not the mastering which I assume you are referring to. In that regard, I agree! But some of their stuff is quite nice.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Hadn't occurred to me but I would have to agree the thread title kind of leads to the negativity when it starts on such a negative! Overall, I'm happy with what I get most of the time and I'm just grateful we get to purchase vinyl again. The challenges for me are about what they have always been, except it seems at least we have nore audiophile options than we did pre 2000.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Everyone's experiences are going to be anecdotal, unless you're employed in a record plant testing records all day long.

And everyone's tolerances are going to be different also. I realized this back when I was reading another thread how much warpage is acceptable before returning a new LP.

e.s. likes this.
  19. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Yes I was responding to the description of Friday Music as an "audiophile" label.

20. Strat-Mangler

None of this was debated in my post.

I'm merely stating that the way one approaches another person on a topic where experiences may differ would be better if we would forego any gratuitously obnoxious and abrasive remarks which would insinuate the other is ignorant or inexperienced, if only because there's a disagreement.

Not asking for the moon, here.

vudicus, Tommyboy and NorthNY Mark like this.
  21. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Endless (Thread About) Defective Brand New Vinyl.o_O

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've been anxiously awaiting the start of the third season of Endless Defective on HBO but I don't see it on the schedule anywhere?

Mazzy likes this.
  23. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

I do the same as you and buy a lot of Japanese vinyl, unless something is out on AP/MOFI. Success rate is high and on the odd occasion I've had a problem the sellers always make it right.

On some releases there are questionable mastering choices but I sell them on and look for US/European pressings. Works well for me.

Jrr likes this.
  24. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

2017, you have been one cruel bastard...

25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, and I thought 2016 was bad. Woof!

EasterEverywhere, lonelysea and Jrr like this.