"Entourage" movie gets the green light...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

This is out on Wednesday, I'm
    Gonna take my girl (she's never seen the show) and make it a date night.

Walmart & Target are currently selling the individual seasons for 9.99 with a coupon worth up to 8 bucks for admission to see the film.

Now I just need to buy season 8 to have the complete series!

But that season was the worst so I'm in no hurry.

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Can anyone explain to me why this movie was ever made?

I saw the tv series a few times while channel surfing and didn't like it that much. I never realized it had a fan base large enough to justify a film adaptation.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think it did have a huge fan base, but it didn't cost a lot to make (relatively) so I think WB figured it'd potentially make them some money... :shrug:

4. heatherly

If it cost $30 million to make doesn't it have to make $60 to break even?

It bombed at the boxoffice but as a fan of the show I'm not surprised.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Maybe it gives syndication and some streaming/home videos sales a 2nd wind. Maybe the single season sets on blu-ray will drop at the same time as the movie blu-ray.

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Was going to see this tonight but with the Finals, had to cancel. Next week though.

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I liked it as a kind of "male escapism" type of La-La land fantasy. The characters are well defined and funny, and it's a who's who of Hollywood. To answer your question that's why it was made into a movie. Mark Wahlberg and many other heavy-hitters were deeply involved in producing the show, and when it ran its course it was a lot easier to get the green light for a feature film due to those insider connections.

The film was a let down for me. I liked the show in 30-minute segments that could explore an arc over more than five hours. It didn't work as a feature film. Piven, who plays Ari, was hugely entertaining, but everyone else seemed out of their element, and the script overall was not as funny as the individual seasons.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. heatherly

All seasons are currently on sale at my local Target stores for 9.99 each and they come with a coupon worth $8 towards a ticket to see the film.

I was able to buy the last 3 seasons I was missing and got to see the film for free thanks to the coupons.

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

In DVD or blu-ray?

10. heatherly

Just DVD.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Cost $27M and has only made $32M so far. I'd say that's a bomb. I generally liked the show quite a bit, but they waited a long, long time to get the movie made. If they could have done it within 6 months of the show going off the air, it would've done much better.

heatherly likes this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It probably made 8 figures through the Cadillac endorsement and other product placement.

heatherly likes this.
  13. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

As a viewer of the show I thought the film was fine, like three episodes put together, but no greater in quality or scope than that.

I don't know what a non-viewer would get out of this.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I never watched this series before but I just started it. I'm totally loving it Two seasons in. Ari is magnificent, almost too close to home (from the agents I knew), but he does it SO well. Hilarious. My personal favorite: Johnny Drama. The more episodes I watch, the more I love him. He's a scream.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Entourage movie cost $27M and made $45M, so I would say no, it did not break even. Bear in mind that the studios typically spend at least $10M (on the low side) to promote a movie like this, plus they only get to keep 50% of the money that comes in from theaters. So if the actual expenses were $37M, they'd need $74M just to break even. And nobody makes a movie just to break even.

I would bet if they had come out with the movie within 1 year of the last episode on HBO, it would've done a lot better. But several cast members held out for more money (understandably), plus some actors like Jeremy Piven were tied up with other projects, and that delayed negotiations for more than a year or so.

heatherly likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Won't they get all money back after movie DVD sales? There might also be a bump in sales for TV sets and new interest for syndication, depending on which companies own what.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

DVD sales have shrunk horribly these days. What's left of the DVD business is now the download/streaming business, and I don't think they make as much from those markets. I think Entourage is iffy for syndication because of the language and subject matter; the fact that the movie bombed will not help.

They will make some money from DVD / streaming / downloads, but I would bet it's not nearly what they would need to break even.

heatherly likes this.
  18. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

I've never seen a film adaptation of a tv show that played more like an extended version of the series than this one...and that's not necessarily a bad thing. They seemed to make little effort to appeal to the non-series fan, and other than the Piers Morgan scene, explain any of the characters or continuing plots.

And despite it's less than stellar reviews and box office, they have not ruled out a sequel...

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Well, it wasn't an expensive movie to make, and given how poorly the first one did, WB can probably force them to do the 2nd one even cheaper, so it's a low-risk proposition, methinks...

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So I finally saw this last night, where it's meant to be seen, on HBO! I was a big fan of the series so it was fun to re-visit their world. That said, it wasn't good Entourage, I can watch old episodes and enjoy them. I doubt that I would watch this flick again. It felt somewhat forced and a little tired. S'funny, as a fan, it's sorta cool to know where the boys ended up story-wise, it's too bad they didn't do a better job telling that story. I don't think there's any chance of a Pt. II, not even as a TV movie. But hey, we are talking about Hollywood so I guess it shouldn't be ruled out!;)

Ghostworld, bopdd and heatherly like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I finally saw it. It scratched the itch in the same way that Star Wars the Force Awakens did. Maybe not the best movie, but I still felt happy watching the cast back in action. Haley Joel Osment was pretty good in a completely different vein. I'd be most happy with a Johnny Drama spinoff...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.