SH Spotlight EQ SUGGESTIONS FROM SH to help the sound of Canada Beatles "HELP" - "RUBBER SOUL" CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Would it help if I said "please"? :D

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Yes-- as long as you said it with a thousand bucks in your hand.

:D

-Kevin

(All kidding aside, this **is** a magnificent gesture on Steve's part, and just one of the many reasons that it's such a pleasure to call this place "home"... thanks, Boss!!) :righton:

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

4. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Thanks for the advice Steve.

I've only tried a a song or two so far, but "Think for yourself" really sounds better with your EQ recommendations. I was really surprised at the difference!

5. Any idea what these slopes roughly translate into actual octaves as? Just curious in a rhetorical way!

6. Thanks Steve! Now all I need is $600 to pick up those discs. ;)

7. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I noticed the weak bass in those tracks. This should help! :thumbsup:

9. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

Through the miracle of illicit downloading I've managed to get both discs already. I think they sound pretty good already (certainly better than regular cd mix) but I'm about try your mastering advice.

Thanks Steve!

Bobby Sutliff

10. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

I think we'll see the mono and stereo mix on CD next time they do the UK catalog. But it won't matter because the mastering won't be any good anyway. :(

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Thanks for the advice Steve. I put Rubber Soul in my car CD player and thought "My god, the stereo is completely separated on this". The separation is so noticeable that it takes away from the enjoyment of the music.

I'll take your advice and "fix" it when I get home this afternoon. Again, thanks for the professional advice.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That was the point, actually. Nothing in the middle to get louder when played back in mono.

13. Steve Hoffman

Get louder?

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The stereo on this one doesn't "bother" me as much as "Revolver" does. Of course, listening to it in a car may make a difference. I only listen to the mono oldies station when driving.

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Anybody else find that some tracks on Rubber Soul don't need the vocal adjustment? I'm thinking "Nowhere Man" specifically... I basically upped the vocal channels 1 db, but on a couple I think it's too much. I'll give a proper listen before I make a final version, but I wanted to get some opinions on that one.

I'm going to have to stick with a mono needledrop for the iPod. The seperation on the stereo mix gives me a headache. :D

16. Steve Hoffman

It's really dreadfully wide on my reference system. I mean, not even an echo return in the center. My ears feel like imploding. And I loved the stereo version so much when I had my little Zenith fold-down stereo. :)

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Would you be tempted to move one of the channels to the center, a la the Bob Marley SACD? Or even bring each channel closer together?

18. Steve Hoffman

Nah, I'd just play the mono LP or even the correct Capitol CD from the new box I guess.

19. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

As I recall, Steve suggested the UK mono version... which I plan to do because the stereo separation is so distracting it's almost impossible to listen to.

20. Steve Hoffman

If they had not started using headphones for overdubbing it would have sounded better even with that extreme separation. The leakage would have been much more pleasing (like the sound of the first album).

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

:agree: I try to do vocal overdubs in front of the monitors if the track needs a little ambience. You can get some phase issues though, but somtimes it's worth struggling to get it right.

22. Steve Hoffman

Agreed. No one wants to listen to music that sounds like it was recorded in a vacuum.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But they *were* still using monitors. Check out the Think For Yourself overdub session. There is also a photo or two in Lewisohn where they are doing vocal overdubs without any cans.

The difference was starting with Help they no longer cut any vocals live.

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Who corrected my spelling? :confused:

25. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

i corekted yer spellng.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.