Eric Clapton Give Me Strength 74/75 Sessions (6 CDs Boxset)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pro beatles, Sep 23, 2013.

1. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

I apologise if I have missed this but I cannot find a detailed analysis in the thread or elsewhere. I'm struggling to establish exactly where the overlaps are on this set compared with what has been already released. I have original vinyl of the three core albums; the 461 deluxe CD set; and Crossroads 1 and 2.

I don't have any F King with Clapton, but what else on here is already available on what I own. I'm beginning to think that it's really not worth getting at current prices for what would primarily be the King sessions (and I don't have a Blu-Ray player!).

BTW I agree with the revaluations of One in Every Crowd here - I bought it on release and have always thought it was a great album. I'm not sure whether people realise that Little Rachel was written by Jimmy Byfield and released by Rockin' Jimmy Byfield and the Brothers of the Night on by the Light of the Moon in 1980. (I gather that Byfield himself made an earlier recording released in 1978 on a Tulsa compilation, but I haven't heard that.
    Thanks
    Clive

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

For "461," the following tracks are new and previously unreleased:
    Getting Acquainted
    Getting Acquainted 2 (Too Late)
    Please Be With Me (acoustic)
    Give Me Strength (dobro)

For "Every Crowd," the following are new and previously unreleased:
    Burial
    Fools Like Me

Based on what you provided as your present Clapton collection, you also likely do not have Whatcha Gonna Do and I Found Love, but they have been available in the past.

The new and unreleased live material is as follows:
    Smile
    Crossroads
    I Shot The Sheriff
    Layla
    Little Wing

The Freddie King material is available on the Freddie King Texas Flyer box set. And to be clear, on this Clapton set, it is not Blu-ray content, rather traditional CD content.

3. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

Many thanks for this - I think I'll resist temptation! Sorry about the ambiguity in relation to the Blu-ray disc - I realised that was just some different mixes and not the King material.
    Clive

4. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi Bill, I just recently purchased this set and the edges on my Blu-ray are rough as well. However it played fine in my 103 thankfully. At least it worked in the 105D for you.
    What is your opinion of the boxset redbook version of 461? By the way, I love the 5.1 surround of 461 and the quad mix of There's One In Every Crowd. A fun listen. Thanks

fredblue and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Ordered this, the box is a mystery, so little info out there about it, can't wait to spin it and finally hear it myself

6. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

If any of you are following this older thread, the Blu Ray discs are explained to have the 5.1 and 4.0 mix; but is there a stereo output option on the blu rays? I just can't seem to find this answer yet.

Thanks -Zafu

EDIT: DARN !!! Should found this in the thread...

I had totally forgotten this post too. Well, see it on Amazon USA for $45 today so scooped it up. Supposedly the sound quality on the CD's is awesome; just a shame no hi res stereo on the blu ray as I don't have surround yet; but suppose I very well may at some point hopefully.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It's also right on the back of the book where the contents of each disc are listed.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Listening to the 5.1 mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard off of the Give Me Strength Blu-ray. It sounds excellent and the three additional tracks are great. The 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner sounds so much better than the original 5.1 mix from the SACD. Still love this album after 45 years! Remember seeing EC at the Boston Garden in July of '74 supporting this album. Awesome show :)!

10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Probably in the top 10 all time bad cover art and is the antitheses of the splendid music contained therein.

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

In all these years I had never really thought too much about the cover. I like the photo's in this release, some nice relaxed shots of EC. One of those might've worked better. I'm okay with the original cover but I get what you mean.

In fact was just searching for the photos and saw this. This shot is new to me. I'm not sure who the lady is, clearly from same session though.

[​IMG]

Shvartze Shabbos and RiRiIII like this.
  12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Have to change title to "Three Is A Crowd If You Don't Mind"

13. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Is this box set the best mastering of these albums?

14. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I finally bought this a few weeks ago and the quad hit me like a ton of bricks. I had kind of been ignoring quad since getting a surround system a few years back. I had no appreciation for what quad offered because, back in the day, I never heard it or had a system that could play it. And when I got the surround system, I suppose I just figured it was inferior to 5.1, and never gave it a thought.

Now I’m hooked.

fredblue and unclefred like this.
  15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Wait. Are people here describing the same issues that are plaguing the Pink Floyd discs?

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

that must have been a great show Bill.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

No IMO. I like the MQA CD for 461 Ocean and the Polydor CD for There's One.

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

What’s going on behind the book? :evil:

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Some are good, many are less so.

20. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

What’s going on behind the book? :evil:

Hand Jive. :cool:

garythain and noname74 like this.
  21. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Yup, noticed that. One of the best so far is Deep Purple’s Stormbringer. But I’ve got a few others where I thought, “Ok... next.”

The overall benefit to all this, though, is that I’m back to listening to whole albums on the stereo system rather than jumping around in my collection on iTunes. I had forgotten what it was like to immerse myself in an album start-to-finish like I used to as a kid.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It was for sure :righton:!

JeffMo likes this.
  23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not necessarily the best, but they're well mastered, good sounding CD's. If you like this material, it's a great set.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  24. Instant Karma

I have the Polydor for There's One and like it very much. I go between the Polydor and MFSL for 461 Ocean. Do you have another mastering you like besides the MQA?

25. Instant Karma

Sorry Ted, I meant the West German RSO or MFSL for 461, not the Polydor.