Eric Stewart "Do not bend" 2003: Any views?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sanfi4u, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member Thread Starter

Eric Stewart has released a new CD couple of months ago called "Do not bend". Let's assume you are a 10cc lover (in the sense of the band, no tongue in cheek here ;) ) and you managed to hear the album. What would be your comment (music and sonic wise)?

Sanfi4u

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

very late model 10CC.

much like 'meanwhile" and "mirror mirror"

if you like the band you will like the cd.

and, while you're at it, pick up graham gouldman's "and another thing".

renny

3. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

'Do not bend' .. will the folks at Crest be pressing those too? :D

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

10cc fanatic here...

My opinion...Eric Stewart "Do Not Bend", bad, very bad!

Graham Gouldman "And Another thing", great, very great!

Chris C

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

chris,

i too, am a big 10CC fan.

what about "do not bend" makes you dislike it?

renny

6. Chris C

It's ironic but another 10cc fanatic friend of mine that works at a locally owned record store and I completely agree that Eric's new album just doesn't live up to the looooooong wait that he gave us for it! It's all too "Dreadlock Holiday" sounding (which is a GREAT 10cc song mind you, but HOW MUCH reggae can this rock 'n roller give us on one album???) It just doesn't have ANY magic to me, even including the bonus disc!

Graham's album, on the other hand, is pure pop fun! Of course, Andrew Gold (still one of my favorite underated artists) produced this album and I feel that they really captured the sound that I have missed on later day 10cc albums with "...and another thing", almost every song is good on this album!

Chris C

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

So is it more like the 80's WAX stuff?

8. Chris C

Yes and no...I was never that nig on the WAX albums either, maybe they were too techno pop sounding to me, today those old WAX albums remind me of old Pointer Sisters hits. Something good, but really dated sounding stuff! I think that Graham's album sounds like an Andrew Gold album with Graham singing lead.

It's hard to explain unless you are familiar with all things 10cc. If so, then you know that you're probably like me and have been disappointed with most post-"Deceptive Bends" albums, excluding the "Bloody Tourists" album, which was really good, other than that, nearly every other album was hit or miss for me and most others that were there since the beginning of 10cc!

Wax (even though featuring Andrew Gold & Graham Gouldman), didn't represent 10cc to me at all, only the voice was similar. So I hate to say that Graham's album sounds like Wax, because it really doesn't!

Chris C

9. Sanfi4u

Re: Re: Eric Stewart "Do not bend" 2003: Any views?

Renny,
    In opposite to many 100cc fans I like "meanwhile" and "mirrow mirrow". But I listened to the samples of two first tracks from "Do not bend" and they impressed me less than these two 10cc albums. Moreover, as far as MP3 let's to judge, they sound too overproduced and compressed to me. Now comments from Chris C make me even more confused :confused:

Sergei

10. Chris C

Hello Sergei,

If you enjoy 10cc's "Meanwhile" and "Mirror Mirror" then I have to say that "YOU" will most likely enjoy "Do Not Bend"

Sorry for any confusion!

Chris C.

11. Sanfi4u

Chris,

I've got myself Gouldman's last album about a year ago. I like the music very much, although the sound could be better. But still I believe that Anymalimpics (1979) is his best effort out of 3 solo albums. This is one of my favorite records. I still like it after 20+ years of listening experience.

As for Mr. Gold I had to say I was literally shocked with the quality of music and sound when I got myself his Spence Manor Suite (2000) CD. Great pop songs with a strong beatlesque flavor (some of them remind me Beatles for sale). I love this album and strongly recommend it. If you are Andrew's fan you surely got yourself a copy already.

Sergei.

12. Sanfi4u

Thanks, Chris. What about the sound? Is it, at least, decent?

Sergei.

13. Chris C

Sorry for the delay...housefire at my parents home. My Partridge Family albums could be in jeopardy...all joking aside!

Nothing wrong with the sound on "Do Not Bend", it's good enough, just the performance could be lots more interesting though.

As for Andrew Gold's "Spence Manor Suite", if you like THAT album, you will damn near wet yourself over everything else he has released, especially "All This And Heaven Too", "What's Wrong With This Picture", "Intermission" and especially his fake group CD called The Fraternal Order Of The All "Greetings From Planet Love"

These are all available at Andrew Gold's website. Buy them all, they are all great!

Final note: I have the "Animalympics" album and that is a very good old album that I wish would be reissued on CD, but it was on A & M records and they only exist to release boring new STING and Sheryl Crow albums these days!

Chris C

14. Sanfi4u

Chris, Thanks for the answer. I've downloaded MP3 samples first 6 tracks from Do not bent. Now I have a kind of opinion. Well, it pretty much looks like Meanwhile Pt.2. Definitely not second Original Soundtrack or something. Anyway I kinda like it. I think I'm gonna buy it.

As for Andrew Gold I have his first LP "Andrew Gold". It's really good. I heard the rest of his stuff is less impressive than this one. May be I need to give his latter records a try. I'd better go for LPs when it's possible.

Thanks for your help.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

definitely give andrew gold a try, you won't be disappointed.

he is much much more than "thank you for being a friend".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.