Ernest Borgnine (1917-2012)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Fox67, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

2. Larry

Larry Member

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

RIP Ernest. You will be missed on this Earth, but your great acting will live on.

4. old school

old school Senior Member

What a actor he made his roles so real! Love him in the Wild Bunch RIP.

5. larryk

larryk Senior Member

An independent film "Another Harvest Moon" was shot here in Central PA in 2008. Also starred Doris Roberts.

Locals said he liked to be called "Ernie" and was super nice to everyone he met.

I thought his performance in "The Poseidon Adventure" was great!

R-I-P, Ernie. Well done.

6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

RIP, Dutch.

[​IMG]

7. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

RIP Ernest Borgnine. What an awesome guy! I had the privilege to meet him twice at the Chiller Theatre convention in Parsippany, NJ. Super nice and very sharp, a gentleman. When I met him the second time, I was standing in line (a long line I might add) behind a soldier serving in Iraq that had brought his son with him. Mr. Borgnine had been in World War II and thanked the soldier for his service to our country. Then he did the character that he did the voice for on Spongebob Squarepants and gave him an autographed photo. The little boy was absolutely thrilled. I was very impressed by that. RIP, Sir.

8. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

R.I.P. He had a fine career.

9. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

A true legend. This man had a resume a mile long. Never stopped working since 1951.

10. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

From classic films like Marty to kitsch like The Poseidon Adventure, he was always memorable.
    RIP.

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

A Connecticut boy. Born in Hamden, lived in North Haven and graduated high school in New Haven.

He has a quick cameo in a Get Smart episode "The Little Black Book Pt. 2" (with Don Rickles starring) that is very funny.

RIP

12. looopy

looopy Member

R.I.P. MR B

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

RIP Ernest.

And RIP to this animated fellow:

[​IMG]

14. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Oh no!! He was an active actor up until recently.
    What was the cause of death?

15. Super Fuzz!

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ernest Borgnine played many roles in his long career. To my 3 kids he will always be the retired superhero on Spongebob Squarepants. So, farewell, Mermaid Man!

17. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

19. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

R.I.P.
    Loved him in The Wild Bunch, among other things.

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

EEB

Attached Files:

21. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Great actor, great man.

R.I.P.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

No! I loved this man so much! I was sincerely hoping he'd live forever!

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Few actors could have credibly played someone as decently conniving Quinton McHale and as malevolent as 'Shack' in Emperor of the North (underseen and underappreciated 1973 Robert Aldrich film), aside from all his other roles. Here's to a long rest in new Caledonia....

24. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

A fine gentleman and a fine actor. RIP, Ernie.

Thanks for the pics, ScopeJ.

25. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Ol' Ernie was one of the more unlikely success stories in Hollywood history. Unlike a Raymond Burr, who was considered fairly handsome (if occasionally overweight), and could play hero or heavy with equal conviction, Borgnine was (to be kind) more rugged. He lacked Burr's menacing qualities but compensated with that nasty glint in his eye, which one sees in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY and BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. And while he wasn't a good guy in THE WILD BUNCH--none of them were 'good,' heh--like the others, he looked like he belonged, the classic sympathetic villain we empathize with. As for his 'good guy roles like MARTY, well...I think he was more fun to watch on McHALE'S NAVY, if only because he seemed to be enjoying himself (and trying not to break up from Tim Conway's antics). More often, though, Borgnine simply played a featured (but not top-billed) tough guy who's there to BE a tough guy authority figure, as he was in THE DIRTY DOZEN.

Finally (and I'm not sure what this means), Ernie made it to 95 despite being overweight most of his life. He looked like a guy who didn't mind a few drinks and a lot of rich food, right? What his vices were I've no idea, but since he made it this far, one can only assume that he had a lot of fun, bless him. And he kept working all along the way.

ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.