Erykah Badu, anyone??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I have Baduism and the live cd, but I've lost track of her in the last few years. Is there anything else I need? (and don't say the Blues Brothers II soundtrack)

2. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

World Wide Underground isn't too bad, if you like her style, which doesn't seem to change much, if at all from album to album. I kinda dig her though. She can have my babies, if she wants...

3. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I too am a fan of her music. I have seen her acting in several 'bit' parts of movies.

4. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I adore her music.
    Her last album is billed as an "EP" even though it's full length because it's more a straight groove party record. It's real good though.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

When you say groove, does that mean it's louder and kind of rocks?

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You NEED Mama's Gun. That is the best CD she's made if you ask me. It is not stop funky grooves all the way through, and Questlove (?Love or Ahmir Thompson) plays drums on most of it. A bunch of it is real instrumentation instead of the sequenced backing tracks she used before that and on Worldwide Underground.

Frank R.

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

We're talking about Worldwide Underground?

8. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

love her stuff. Spin Doctor is right, she doesn't change much, but if it's not broke, ya know? World Wide Underground is great as is Mama's Gun ... I was listening to the long live version of Tyrone when I found this thread, how weird?

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Her first couple of albums were great, and then her output just kind of trailed off. It has to have been at least 4 years since she last put an album out. I look forward to whenever she decides to do her thing again.:)

I was watching the episode of Chappelle's Show where she was the musicial guest. She's got a great band. They performed "Back In The Day" as a medley with Juicy's R&B groove classic "Sugar Free". Someone ought to put that out on a record!:thumbsup:

10. music-is-life

music-is-life New Member

TOTALLY AGREE.. u NEED mama's gun!!!! Obviously love baduizm as well, both incredible! She's amazing

Live performance of Penitentiary Philosophy ....Check it out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VivQj4TEolc

Yost likes this.
  11. Hey gorts - where are you? Isn't discussion of contemporary cutting edge black, female hip-hop artists prohibited on this forum??? :shh:

Quick, let's get back to Queen, the Monkees, Jethro Tull, Crosby, Stills & Nash, etc., before this "insanity" gets out of hand...

MikaelaArsenault and JohnnyQuest like this.
  12. NIKE SQ 460

NIKE SQ 460 Just Do It...Daily!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

13. peerke

peerke Senior Member

And don't forget a million interesting Beatles threads about every aspect of every song or cough ever committed to tape.

Back on track: I love Baduizm and the live album. I've heard the next couple of albums, but there's wasn't much new, I thought. I will check out Mama's Gun once more.

14. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Have you seen Chappelle's Block Party? Is this the same? Oh my God, what a great event. Everyone in it was truly inspiring.

15. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

Love it, this is way too progressive for this site.

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

No I still need to pick up a copy of this movie. I've heard good things about it all around. It was directed by Michel Gondry who's famous for his innovative direction on music videos for Bjork, The White Stripes, the Foo Fighters and co-writing and directing "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind".

17. houston

houston Forum Resident

if she has any eggs left after having mine, be my guest...I probably stand a better chance with her since she lives close by :D

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I've just recently discovered Ms Badu. Baduizm and Mama's Gun in heavy rotation.

And, on my, what a beautiful woman :love:

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

The two New Amerykah albums are pretty essential, IMHO.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

+1 I really like the Amerykah albums.

21. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Yep, I dig everything she does. When she's peaking (which happens on every album at some point), the music is just devastatingly good.

She has very good taste in producers, musicians, and what not. Sometimes we hear songs resurfacing in new forms ("Window Seat" reminds me of something off Baduizm), but that's not really a problem when the music is so tight.

Yeah and that video for the collab w Flaming Lips on "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is pretty interesting too. There's a thread on that elsewhere on the Hoffman forum site.

22. LunarTunes

LunarTunes Forum Resident

She seems to be someone who takes her time to put together really strong albums. I'll second (or third or fourth?) the recommendation for the "New Amerykah" albums. But my favourite from her is the "Worldwide Underground" (long) EP which preceded them...

Peace.

23. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Another vote for both New Amerykah LPs. "Window Seat" is sublime: an essential Badu track.

24. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Favorite tracks on Mama's Gun: Orange Moon, Time's A Wastin' and Green Eyes. On Baduizm, love Rimshot.

I've heard a song that I swear has been attributed to Erykah Badu. The chorus says "Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?" Anyone know the actual name of the track? Or if it's actually Erykah Badu?

25. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

I would just go get it all. Mama Gun is fantastic, and the Amerykah albums modernize her sound without compromising the quality. Personally, I'd pass on the live one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.