Eva Cassidy "Songbird" and Mary Black "No Frontiers" on SACD & LP finally!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Eva Cassidy "Songbird" and Mary Black "No Frontiers" SACD & LP, finally!

I'm about to start work on these two great albums for S&P Records:

Eva Cassidy "Songbird".

SACD and 180-gram Virgin Vinyl RTI pressed LP (with separate bonus 45 rpm disc of "Over The Rainbow" and "Fields of Gold").

AND

Mary Black "No Frontiers".

SACD and 180-gram Virgin Vinyl RTI pressed LP.

These two Blix Street Records favorites have been audiophile requests for a long while now. I'm excited to be working on them!

:)

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Gosh Steve...Ain't Eva the greatest?!

Where can I sign up to upgrade my copy?..

Really guys...you have got to try this one if you've never heard Eva. You will not be disappointed. And with the Hoffman touch...sweet!

:)

3. Steve Hoffman

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

Really looking forward to the Mary Black, Steve. One of my favorite vocal albums by a relatively unknown singer. Can't wait to get this on SACD.

Ray

5. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

I sure don't care for the BBC article writer's idea that people bought her records only because she died, and had she lived she wouldn't have been much of a success. Plenty of music people die, and sometimes people notice, sometimes they don't--it's not an automatic sales boost.

I've never heard her stuff, but look forward to it.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Eva does a beautiful version of John Lennon's Imagine. If you think that you are tired of this song because of the over-exposure, give her version a good listen!

Donald

7. cwon

cwon Active Member

Will the SACD be a hybrid? Redbook CD compatible?

8. Steve Hoffman

Don't know yet...I'd like to do a 24 Karat Gold CD version for all the Eva fans who just want the Redbook version.

9. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Very cool Steve. Keep us informed of the progress.

10. cwon

cwon Active Member

Sounds like the decision is not yours alone to make. Well, fight the good fight for us.

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Once upon a time, they said the same thing about Nick Drake. It's not that dying young can't make you famous, but if you don't have much going on to begin with no amount of posthumous publicity and reevaluation are going to matter. Jeff Buckley was doing just fine commercially when he died; death adds mystique, nothing more. Eva Cassidy was just a fine, fine singer; the shame of it is she never got any recognition while with us. I look forward to this one. The one bonus of her posthumous success is that people like me--who might never have given her space in the store bins much thought--are compelled to investigate her music. Word of mouth has made her popular; the cream rises to the top.

ED:cool:

12. Mary Black's No Frontiers is a wonderful album and an influence on the current crop of Irish musicians. The Corrs covered the song No Frontiers on their MTV Unplugged CD in 2000.

When I worked in music retail in the early 1990s the whole world/celtic music genre was exploding. So when people had their fill of Loreena McKennit, Connie Dover or Capercaillie, we'd turn their attention to such arists as Mary Black. No Frontiers was a steady seller. I also like Mary's sister Frances Black. She has a couple of nice solo albums and was also in the Irish band Arcady. Mary and her younger sister Frances have also sang on album and appeared from time to time over the years with their brother's in the The Black Family.

Attached Files:

13. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I like Songbird, and the current disc sounds good but it needs a bit of tube magic. It's a little hot, a bit too forward I think. The SACD should be great.

14. detayls

detayls Forum Resident

Two of my all time favorites!

My wife calls them my "wailing women" but I forgive her anyway.

These are both jewels! The songwriting of Noel Brazil, on three of the No Frontiers tracks, is quite beyond compare. Mary's interpretations are awesome.

Fields of Gold on Songbird has that "air" thing that lifts it to a whole new plane.

I'm very excited.

Thanks for letting us in on the secret, Steve.

David

:goodie:

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great news... great music...

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Fantastic news...looking forward to both LPs.
    BC

17. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Thanks, Steve for doing Songbird, my wife and I both love this CD, and on the SACD format, it will be as good as it gets!

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I just recently had the chance to listen to both of Eva Cassidy's most recent compilations -- the new one, Imagine, and the older one, Songbird. What a talent. Absolutely uncategorizable. Definitely looking forward to Songbird on vinyl!

The first song of hers I heard was her Christmas song, "It's Not the Presents Under the Tree," which I also love.

19. tony2v

tony2v Forum Resident

I'm getting both the SACD and LP versions. So how long do we have to wait?
    Checkout Eva's website run by her cousin Laura Claire Bligh.
    http://www.evacassidy.org/eva/

20. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I don't have any Eva so I'll be looking forward to the SACD.

21. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

Her "Live at Blues Ally" is a great album!!!!!

22. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I am really looking forward to these, Steve! Sooo cool!

23. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I second you on that Jim! :righton:

24. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Steve,

Great News! I look forward to the SACD.

Just one request - if it is possible of course - can we have the bonus cuts of "Over the Rainbow" and "Fields of Gold" on the SACD as well please??

That would be just cool!!!:cool:

25. nin

nin Forum Resident

Great news!!!
    Looking forward for the vinyl's of course :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.