Ever bought a used higher-end cart? What was your experience like?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

There's a certain level of (additional) trust that goes into transactions for used carts as there's no easy way to determine the amount of usage they have had. Sure, one can use a microscope but not everybody has access to one and the images taken between, say, 100 and 1000 hours might not look all that different.

Wondering if anybody who has ever bought a used higher-end cart (not the $25 type) feels like sharing their experience.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In fact, I bought one from a forum member about ten years ago, and it's still sounding nice. I also bought a replacement stylus just in case.

3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

First, all my cartridges are sub-$1000, most sub-$500 --- everyone's idea of "higher end" will be different of course, in my mid-fi universe > $500 is higher end, but again everyone's will be different. Just qualifying...

Then, although I have thought about it many times, eyed up a few, nearly pulled the trigger on a couple.... I could never do it for reasons you alluded to. I always felt like "well how do I know how much it was used" and "how do I know how it was handled, if there could be a suspension problem due to incorrect playing" etc, etc, etc. on things I don't have the tools or expertise to detect. I DO own a high power microscope, but I've looked closely at some of my worn, mid-life and new carts and sometimes it is tough to really tell what is what.

Carts are just one of those things that visual inspection, even under a microscope, for most of us we don't have the knowledge or tools to really know if the claim of use holds water.

So for me, I have never bought a used one, only new. NOT saying my way is right or wrong, just saying. I guess if I were to buy from someone I knew well or could trust I probably would though... I never say never....

4. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Depends on what you call high end? I bought a couple of Pickering XSV-3000 with original D3000 styli, claimed barely used, complete with original Pickering display cases with all the goodies, from a seller on ebay who sells all price level cartridges from less than $100 to over $500. He has 500 listings of mostly cartridges going right now and perfect feedback. I examined the stylus on each under a high power scope at work and they looked immaculate. The cantilevers were spotless and the tips looked perfect.

They sound fantastic but other than buying from a source with spotless credentials or someone you know I am not sure how you can be sure you are getting one with a low hour stylus

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Twice, what are in today's money well over £1,000 MCs, once from a private seller, once from a shop, there was a very specific backstory to the private sale and obviously with the shop there was an added layer of inspection and guarantee, both were as described with genuinely low hours, I even ended up getting the first one inspected by the manufacturer who confirmed what I already knew that it was in excellent condition with lots of life left, I still use both. I also have a couple of Supex carts which came with decks both in excellent condition.

My advice is to only buy from a trusted source and with a no quibble guarantee, be sure that you are capable of judging if the cart sounds right and if at all possible able to check it with a microscope, make sure that the price is right and ideally low enough that the used cart can be re-tipped for a lot less than a new one or in the case of a company like Ortofon is worth more in exchange. I've also bought a ton of MMs, including decent Shures, V15s, Pickerings, B&Os and three figure Linns, Goldrings and Ortofons, but as long as you budget for a new stylus, get the cart thrown in with a deck or pay minimal money you can't really go wrong on MMs, well except B&Os as their styli are unobtainable.

6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I bought 3 used carts and never had a problem - Dynavector 20X, Transfiguration Axia S and Kiseki Blue NS from a forum member.

Never had a problem w/any and they were as described.

I saved a bundle and with the last 2 my analog front end sounds sublime.

Grant likes this.
  7. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I bought a Benz LP (list price $4500 as I recall) with allegedly less than 25 hours. Since the asking price was only about 1/3 retail, I was skeptical but I talked to the seller on the phone and he seemed sincere. It turns out the cartridge was just as he described. It had not even been fully broken in so his 25 hour estimate was pretty close to the mark. That cartridge is still my daily driver and it has been retipped twice by SoundSmith. As far as I'm concerned, it is my cartridge for life so long as SS keeps retipping it every 3 years.

Of course, not every experience works out as well. But my one time buying a used cartridge was a total success. I have also sold a number of cartridges and I always take care to describe the condition and estimate the number of hours conservatively. To date no complaints from any of my buyers. I think the best precaution is to talk to the seller on the phone and get a feel for how experienced he is with equipment. Does the seller sound like an audiophile who takes care of his equipment or someone looking to make a quick buck?

8. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I bought a used Linn Troika mounted on a Naim Aro tone.arm
    Loved it.
    Linn then offered a rebuild service.
    Goldring were the rebuilders.
    A completely different beast.
    Tight bass superb almost beguiling
    Sound.
    It showed me that the Troika I bought was worn
    One day i will buy another Aro and Troika and mount it on my TD150
    You sometimes do get what you are paying for.

9. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

My experience has been similar to most others here. My impression has been that the people who buy and play with these things are honest people who care for what they own and for the reputation they convey.

Mike from NYC and patrickd like this.
  10. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

I don't buy anything used. :) I used to buy used cars when I was young, but since 1976 all I've bought are new vehicles. I'd never consider a used phono cartridge due to the fact they wear out, are delicate and most likely one wouldn't have a chance to inspect/listen to it (at least that's my guess, for most used transactions) prior to purchase. If that's not the case here, so be it.

11. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

I bought a used Lyra Clavis de Capo from a dealer in the northeast, can’t remember the name. He seemed honest to me, and this was when there were more analog dealers who would sell demo cartridges at a significant discount. Cost me $8-900, if I remember correctly. Excellent cartridge, good deal. In this case, I think a dealer selling a demo may be better than buying from an unknown individual.

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I never trusted a used cartridge. All were/are new. Reason is possible bent cantilever, factory stereo balance was not just right. May need a new needle due to 750- 1000 hours use. I just pay the new price.

13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I might take a chance on a high end cart if it was really cheap. Cheap enough so having it rebuilt would still make it a deal. That's probably the only way. I have sold used carts, but I know that what I've sold is exactly how I'd want someone to sell to me. Unfortunately, not everyone works that way.

blakep likes this.
  14. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Exactly what I've done the past 3-4 years. The only way to fly IMO and great value. You have to be very patient and pay particular attention to photos to buy something that appears to be well taken care of even though it's trashed; that is a bit paradoxical I realize. But there are some very cartridges being sold with broken cantilevers-I don't go near anything that is extremely dirty or has excessive corrosion, and there are lots of those out there.

I've done two in the past 4 years: an Ortofon MC 20 Super and an Accuphase AC2. The Accuphase is outrageously good for the $600 U.S. I have in it. I may not ever buy another cartridge; if I do it is going to be very tough to beat.

15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I've purchased four used cartridges right here in the classifieds, the most recent a Sumiko Blue Point Special - EVO II HOMC last week. All of the cartridges have been as described with no issues what so ever. The Sumiko replaces an AT33pg MC that I put 300 hours on. In my other system resides a Denon DL 301 mkII MC on one table, and an Ortofon 2m Mono MM on another. All of these cartridges cost me around $200, all sell for considerably more new. So with four out of four good experiences my take is you can trust Forum sellers and save lots of money doing so. For me, experimenting in the $200 out of pocket range in order to get the value of a $300 - $500 cartridge has been well worth the potential risks.

16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Many years ago I bought a used Linn Karma moving coil cartridge from my local Linn dealer and it served me well. In saying that I wouldn't buy a used MC from just anybody, it would have to be a dealer.

JG

17. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

I bought my first Koetsu Blue Lace used. I chose a reputable seller that was Stateside with a long history of positive feedback. I thought it was a great way to get an ultra high end cart for 60% off MSRP. I wasn't sure at the time that it was a cart I would want to live with. I ended up loving it and when it was time for a rebuild I sold it and bought a new one. Sold it for 75% if MSRP only costing me a couple thousand to use it for a couple years. Audiophiles are silly creatures that buy and sell equipment at a change in winds so it is easy to get great used deals.

When buying a high end cart this would be my criterion:
    -Buy from a Seller in your country, preferably local
    -Talk to the buyer about the history, including past receipts or invoices
    -Expect them to low ball the usage
    -Original Packaging is a must
    -Seller has a strong reputation for selling Cartridges or other high end analog
    -Ask for Hi-Res Photos
    -Ask for Digital Microscope pics of stylus
    -Talk to the Seller about how they intend on Package, ship and insure the Cart. Cartridge should be shipped in original packaging, double boxed. Insured for the amount you paid with Signature Service.

Here is an example of one I sold:
    Charisma MC-1 Cartridge | Cartridges | Audiogon

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  18. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I buy all me gear used, except cartridges.

19. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Never. I don't mind purchasing used electronics for digital/home theater but every piece in my analog chain was brand new when I first got it (including cables, carts, spare arms, upgrade tweaks, etc - everything).

20. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I'd buy a used Soundsmith and factor in the rebuild price on the purchase cost. I've bought a few others in the past. I'd also consider Grado wood bodied cartridges because there are ways to easily tell if the seller is in the ball park of usage or flat out lying. I usually see the latter......

Aside from that, I go with the theory of used cartridges are like used toothbrushes.

21. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I've bought and sold high end cartridges routinely, both here and on A'gon. I realize it does require a level of trust since many folks are unable to offer any meaningful assurance on hours used or real condition. While logic suggests real caution, I've been satisfied every time I bought used, most recently an Ikeda mc that would always have been out of my range new. The owner was a private seller and I suppose I do imagine (or project) that anyone who owns and uses high-end analog gear is generally careful with it. I try to gauge the type of seller by conversation/discussion before committing. For my own sales, I can usually list precise usage hours (I keep a counter by the table) and discuss with the buyer exactly how I perceive the sonics and the likely life of the cartridge, as well as its suitability for their table/arm. I also follow up to make sure they are comfortable with the installation process and are hearing sounds that they like. The feedback system matters -- it's like buying vinyl, you have to learn who grades accurately and limit your purchases accordingly. Clearly, this forum is a good spot, long may it continue.

22. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

If I did, I would only buy it used/demo from a dealer so hopefully some kind of warranty might still be in place. And if not, hopefully the dealer would still be able to service it thru the mfg.
    High end to me would be buying like a Lyra or similar at a 50% discount minimum, but think about a used Kleo at say $1800-2K, still a lot of money that I would consider just trying to haggle for the best new price possible.
    Used cartridges scare me, other used audio gear not so much......The little gear I have bought was demo with less than 20 hours and still had full mfg warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.