Ever run into a famous musician - and say something to them, and have it not go well?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hot Ptah, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Around 1990-91 I was working as a limo driver and was at the British Airways terminal at Kennedy airport in NYC waiting for a client to clear customs after a Concorde flight from London. The exit doors for customs open and among the horde of smartly tailored business types coming through is a small statured man in baggy corduroy pants and a large floppy hat. As this person approached me I realized it was George Harrison! As he walked past me I struggled for the words but alas, I was so gobsmacked nothing came out. At least I can say I was 3 feet from a "beatle". :bigeek:

snkcube likes this.
  2. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Not very famous at all, but when I worked at a record store in the bay area. Andre Nickatina came to do an in store performance, he is is kind of a local legend in the hip hop community. I went to meet him and told him, I was a huge fan and how I associated his music with some of my best memories of high school. He looked me in the eyes angry, and then just looked away and stared at the ground for the next few minutes, while his promoter explained he was upset because he was under the presumption he was only signing autographs. He agreed to do 4 songs, rapping over a cd copy and then signed autographs for 20 min and left as quick as he could. I just thought he was an *******, although I did think it was hilarious when he told another fan to "get the **** out of here" because she asked him to sign her CD-R of one of his CDs. But this is not a reflection on gangster rappers, Ap.9, Tech n9ne, Krizz Kaliko and Kutt Calhoun were some of the nicest and most gracious performers I've had the pleasure of meeting.

3. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I was part of a company that produced a very early Johnny Cougar concert. He had a development deal with MCA through Tony Defries and Mainman Productions. This was in 1976 and he was a little bastard then. A most spoiled and unpleasant 24 year old who had never played clubs or toured or even played a sock hop apparently. His only claim to fame was a few self-penned songs and a letter he'd written to Tony Defries (who recently lost David Bowie as a client). In the letter, little Johnny related to Mr. Defries, "If you can make a no talent ****** like David Bowie a star, you can make me one too." True story - straight from the horses mouth.

His "concert" was godawful. Imagine a shirtless Mellencamp, hair sprayed to perfection (disco style) dripping with gold chains, sauntering onto the the stage with an acoustic guitar and announcing, "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I'm John Cougar." We wanted to crawl under our chairs. The show began with about 1,200 people in the audience. Less than an hour later there were about 60 folks left. It was a free show and he blamed the disasterous audience response on that.

4. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Wow, that Johnny Mellonball's a real tool!

Hamhead likes this.
  5. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

That's pretty funny considering his band is mediocre at best.

6. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Two of the three interactions I've had w/ Billy Corgan went poorly...mostly because I couldn't think of anything to say so rattled off a couple fanisms. He's was pretty neutral, just shrugged and said thanks. The final time I met him (2003/4 ish) I didn't say anything. Waited for the mob to leave after 15 minutes then waited as he approached the tour bus. He (almost) silently signed my CD cover (as well as my brothers) said thanks then got back on the bus. Apparently we were the only autographs he signed that day, and I believe it was because we kept our distance and didn't act like douches. Jimmy Chamberlain also signed after the show. Came straight through the crowd, signed only my bro and I's CD covers then got on the bus.

7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

My story's quite different to everyone else's.

I was familiar with American composer George Crumb since high school. After college, I went to a performance of some of his works, and he attended. After the performance, we had a chance to meet the composer. I then asked a completely stupid question: "Is your music influenced by cities?" He had a totally shocked, bemused expression and could only manage to say "No." I slunk away.

If you're familiar with Crumb's life and music, you'll quickly realize that he's the opposite. His music has an ambient quality inspired by Nature, sometimes evoking animal sounds or music heard faraway. However, growing up in the suburbs and then living in DC, it reminded me of ambient city sounds, or music heard through an apartment wall.

8. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

My hero worship for rock stars died in the days when I used to do PA for touring punk bands. A few were pleasant, but many were not.

9. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Agreed. It's disappointing when you find out most hero/musicians have giant egos and are essentially dicks. I've met a number and have been met w/ indifference at best.

I met The Black Angels, who were awesome all around. Every one of them was charming and gracious, however, I'd guess a lot of it is because they're relatively unknown so appreciate the recognition.

10. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Here's a fun story...

When one sees ROBIN TROWER in a club these days he is kind enough to meet fans and sign whatever you put in front of him after the show. He will sit in the passenger seat of the tour vehicle and people line-up and meet'n'greet him, one at a time. No pictures - it slows down the line. A couple years ago I took my thirteen year old guitar geek son to see Robin. We sat right behind the soundboard and the tour manager who was running it (and settling the show AND driving that night to the next city apparently) took a shine to my son. As the show ended he handed me a copy of the set list and gave my son one of Robin's guitar picks. We decided to wait to meet Robin and have him sign the setlist.

As you can imagine the meet'n'greet crowd was well oiled after four hours in the club. It mostly consisted of drunken, 50+ men, reliving their misspent youth, bellaring, "ROBIN TROWER mutherf-cker!" " Trower kicks f-cking ass" "Robin motherf-cking Trower is THE MAN!" and other such vociferous terms of endearment. This would continue, in many cases even when they got their turn at the window. After enduring some 30 such enthusiastic fans, all in the same excited vein it came time for my son and me to meet The Man. We raised the boy right. He went to the window and said, "Good evening, Mr. Trower, your show was terrific this evening. May I shake your hand?" holding out his own. Robin Trower was so taken aback he was speechless for a moment. He then thanked my son who then introduced me. He signed the setlist, still with a nonplussed look on his face. We went to the car and Trower went back to dealing with bellaring 50 something drunks.

John Fell, O Don Piano, Bill and 7 others like this.
  11. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

I met the guys in Blue Cheer with my dad and a friend/bandmate before a show in Denton in 2006. Couldn't be nicer guys. We even helped them tear down, and my dad gave Paul a ride back to the hotel. I was 17 at the time.

I saw them again the following year at the Granada. Dickie was looking in my general direction mid-song and I smiled and waved, thinking he'd recognize me. He looked kind of alarmed and quickly turned his head in the other direction. I felt so dumb for distracting him on stage, but after the show he remembered me from last time and was super nice. I still cringe thinking about my faux-pas, but I'm very grateful for how kind and welcoming he and the guys had been both times I saw them. Was very saddened to hear of his death a couple of years later.

Andy Boyd and prof. stoned like this.
  12. Lookit

Lookit Forum Resident

When I was younger I met Probyn Gregory, who plays in Brian Wilson's touring band. Super-nice, took my Pet Sounds box set backstage to have it signed. Spent 10 minutes or so talking with me, which I really appreciated.

Went to another show about two years later (in a different country) and assumed we could just resume the conversation! He was polite but it was quickly apparent that he (quite reasonably) had no idea who I was, or what I was talking about. Cringing just thinking about it...

13. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

I've had precious little interaction with famous musicians, and in general, I think that's a good thing. It'd be super disappointing to meet someone whose concerts I've waited in line to buy tickets for and/or ponied up for LPs and CDs only to find that they're nasty to fans.

One of the few I've had interaction with is the afore-mentioned Fripp. Needless to say, it didn't go well. I had the audacity to ask him to sign a copy of Lark's Tongues in Aspic. Nasty man.

janschfan likes this.
  14. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

This reminds me of that scene in Beyond the Lighted Stage when Geddy and Alex are sitting in a sandwich shop. And the waitress is going absolutely crazy because Geddy is sitting in her sandwich shop. She's asking him for autographs, talking about how much she loves Rush, etc. Meanwhile, Alex is sitting right next to him and she clearly doesn't recognize him. He's laughing the whole time. It's possible this scenario was staged but I don't think so. Alex and Geddy are such good sports.

M321115, Rockos and DiabloG like this.
  15. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

They were throwing them when she left the room, her lackey got the brunt.

16. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Did you know then that he doesn't sign autographs and doesn't like people approaching him?

17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I'm with the bass player on this one...

Hamhead and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I can see why Blunt would be a bit po'd - first, why would he want to hear that, and second, he sounds nothing like Mark Knopfler (unless playing with a relatively - for rock - clean sound with a bit of twang makes you twins).

Also I'm sure he may played a Strat at times but during the salad days with Plant, Blunt was also often seen playing a TELEcaster.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I was at SXSW a while back, went to see Apples in Stereo, it was my birthday, St Patricks Day, having a great time, feeling good. Robyn Hitchcock played one of the early slots at that showcase. In between bands, I think it was Sloan, I go to the bar, and by himself at the bar was Peter Buck! He played with Robyn of course, but I didnt expect to see him just having a drink at the bar like the plebes! So I went up to him like "slurrrrr hey man! I love REM, I saw you guys back in 1989, thanks for the great music! Can I grab a picture with you?!" Totalrookie move at SXSW I guess, but I wasnt really taking a hint. I dont think he said he wouldnt take a pic, but he seemed annoyed I bothered him (but then why stand at the bar??)

[​IMG]

Im glad he wasnt a jerk about it, he put up with me, a drunken fan, I just felt kind of bad about it.

The night before I ran into the Apples in Stereo leader Robert Schneider, and when I gushed about Neutral Milk's in the Aeroplane and how awesome I thought his production on it was, he was like a big kid, he was so enthusiastic and happy and talked for a while, and leter on when he left, he nudged me and waved like we were old friends, I guess it gave me courage for Peter Buck...

[​IMG]

Rockos and Hamhead like this.
  20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I used to be in a band with a guy whose dad was one of the kidnappers!

D.B. likes this.
  21. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

Well most folks really do not like being told what they should do.

22. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

A lot of music starts appreciate if you know enough about them to be able to talk to them about something besides music (charitable efforts, etc.)

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

...or even other people's music. A number of people have mentioned seeing musicians in record stores. Why are they there? Same reason you are! Because they love music! So if Musician X is browsing the Jazz section and you share his or her love of Jazz, talk to them about Jazz. If they're in a record store looking for obscure Blues records, they are very likely to be open to talking about Blues.

Like anyone else, they might enjoy talking their own work, but when you get right down to it, it's their work. They became a musician because they love music, and most of the musicians I've met will be happy to talk about the music they love, the music that inspired them, that made them want to make music. It would take a rare megalomaniac to only want to talk about themselves.

mfp likes this.
  24. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Oh good - I thought for a moment she might have thrown chili at you. :laugh:

25. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

It's a well known fact that Fripp does not do pictures, inpromtu interviews, or photos. This has been stated by him and other fans. For one to ignore that information and proceed deserves what they get. Since Fripp has regained control of his catalog he has been one of the most generous artists when it comes to availability of bootleg concerts, box sets, and other ephemera. I see no reason to be negative . He owes you nothing.

No Bull, Hamhead and prof. stoned like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.