EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Ya wanna talk cartoon characters singing? Or religious themed songs (Oh Happy Day)? How about we combine the two and take a trip back to 1965 and those stalwart Flintstone characters Pebbles & Bamm Bamm:

Cuteness overload!

Mylene and Grant like this.
  2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Cartoon characters and gospel music? Reminds me of the ultimately shelved Yosemite Sam Sings The Gospel which was recorded for Stax in 1974. Too bad the world will never hear that gem...

3. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

The band on the Flirtations' song does indeed sound like moonlighting Petula Clark session guys. "But It's Alright," on the other hand, sounds like J.J. Jackson found some scrappy beat combo in a club somewhere, with those hard power chords. Only the vibraphone solo reveals J.J.'s jazz roots.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

You may have a rechannelled version, then. The only way to go is the original mono single version found on the original Calla Records label which was distributed by Atlantic in 1966, and a couple of CDs.

5. Grant

Mustn't forget the terrific musicianship behind those records! Not just The Archies, but all of them! In New York, where the Archies and Buddah records were cut, there were at least two groups of people that came out of the Brill Building. In L.A., they were usually the Wrecking Crew.

I wish I could have been in the position to suggest Luther Vandross cover their song "Love Light". He could have given a fantastic soulful interpretation in the way that he did.

I always thought Betty was a better girlfriend for Archie. She was always just what he needed. Veronica was too much of a snobby rich bitch. Besides, her father didn't much like him. But, you know, Ron was that forbidden fruit. I like Betty more, but, I always had a thing for brunettes, anyway.

Oh me too! Even as a kid, I wondered why Reggie would settle for Archie being the leader singer. And, Veronica didn't really play anything, but Archie wanted her there, so he gave her a tambourine.

6. Grant

Your reading and interpretation was not what I intended.

Over the last year, I have been finding more and more people using the term "act" on this forum. Aggghhh!

7. Grant

For years, I looked for a Josie & The Pussycats LP to materialize. It never did. The closest we got was the Rhino Handmade CD that is quite expensive on the used market today.

I do have the Globetrotters album on the Kirshner label, but it didn't really follow the cartoon. The actual Harlem Globetrotters aren't even on the album, though their picture is on the back cover.

8. Grant

Why not? Stax recorded an awful lot of diverse stuff that has yet to see the light of day. Maybe Concord will find a way to release it. Motown also recorded a dizzying array of music in the 70s.

I just recently discovered that the Four Seasons' 1975 comeback album "Who Loves You" with the hit "December, 1963 (Oh, What I Night)" was recorded at Hitsville, and was originally supposed to be a Motown release. Check out the publishing: Jobete Music.

To me, they sound like some of the same musicians that played on Tom Jones' records, too. Also, the b-side of that record "Boogaloo Baby" was supposed to have been the hit side. It got a bit of airplay until some DJ turned the record over.

Note that the soul records recorded in London also tended to have a brash sound. The Flirtations, J.J. Jackson, The Foundations, Tom Jones, and the Hot Chocolate records produced by Mickie Most. IT's like the method was to push the meters into the red.

zebop likes this.
  9. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Forum Resident

I believe the same was true of Franki Valli's solo comeback hit, "My Eyes Adored You". I seem to recall he and his team paid through the nose to get the rights to that one back when they left Motown - a gamble that paid handsomely.

pablo fanques and Grant like this.
  10. pickwick33

Calla would have been distributed by Roulette around the time "But It's Alright" was a hit.

11. Grant

No, That particular record was distributed by Atlantic. Calla was either a mobster or had mobster ties. That could be how his label wound up with Roulette. Roulette was a mob-controlled label. In fact, Tommy James said he didn't even feel comfortable enough to talk about it until the last member of the family had died.

Mylene likes this.
  12. W.B.

W.B. Forum Resident

I have a Calla 45 from before "But It's Alright," its first distributor was Cameo-Parkway. The label fonts on East Coast pressings of the Jackson single (and that of a later single from the label, "Love Power" by The Sandpebbles) originated from a New Jersey printer which later did label copy type for Springboard International labels and, from 1967-72, Joe and Sylvia Robinson's All Platinum stable of labels. If Atlantic did distribute this single, it must've been very third-party. Nate McCalla (Calla's founder) was a frequent associate of Roulette honcho Morris Levy's, ergo very much mobbed-up. Not until about c.1969-70 did Roulette distribute Calla. His music publishing company was called JAMF - the same initials as a certain Canadian mastering house. Only what it stood for differed wildly . . .
    'Jive-A$$ MotherFμckεr'

Grant likes this.
  13. John54

John54 Forum Resident

Interesting that some songs were big in some areas and did squat in others. Nothing But a Heartache got plenty of airplay up here. And deserved it, a pretty decent song.

14. Petula Clark had some pretty good session musicians including Jimmy Page, Vic Flick, and Ronnie Verrell; just saying.

15. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

????
    [​IMG]

Or did you mean you never could find a copy?

AppleBonker, Grant and Mylene like this.
  16. pickwick33

Yes, but were they famous for rhythm and blues? That's what the discussion is about...

Grant likes this.
  17. pickwick33

I have J.J. Jackson's Calla album. There is no mention of Atlantic on the album cover.

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Let's play six degrees of separation, Gospel edition.

Dorothy Morrison>Oh Happy Day>Edwin Hawkins Singers>Lay Down (Candles in The Rain)>Buddah Records>Spirit In The Sky. Or something like this.

19. Grant

Yeah. I didn't know this existed until a decade agto.

20. Grant

The 45 may have been different.

21. W.B.

W.B. Forum Resident

Wonder if you're confusing Calla with Carla (which was indeed distributed by Atlantic at the time another Jackson - Deon - hit big with "Love Makes The World Go Round"). I think at the time of "But It's Alright," Calla was indie.

22. pickwick33

Not mentioned here either. Although it is surprising to find out that it was originally a flip side.

[​IMG]

23. W.B.

W.B. Forum Resident

This is probably the record @Grant was thinking of, in terms of being Atlantic (or, in this case, Atco)-distributed:
    [​IMG]
    The difference: One letter. And another Jackson.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Mylene likes this.
  24. Grant

No, i'm not. What I am trying to remember is what I read in one of those books about the music industry.

25. Grant

No, but, now that you've posted the Deon Jackson label, the one we had was a dark maroon color, not bright red.

Mylene likes this.