EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The version recorded for the show lasted for maybe a minute. The full version was done by another band. When one of their CD comps was researched, they searched for a tape of the complete song by the Partridge Family and discovered one doesn't exist. But, the comp contains a full version by some other band.

BTW, Shirley Jones' hairstyle was very common in the 60s and early 70s. That's all. I was around back then. A lot of women, including my older sister, my first and second grade teachers all had that same basic hair-doo. I have a picture of my older sister with that hairstyle that was taken all the way back in 1966 when she was in college.

2. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

My collection from this features #1 - 3, 5, 8 - 11, 13 - 15, 17, 19 - 21, 23, 26, 28, 30, 32, 39, 44, 49, 50 and 74. As for #44, my pressing appears as follows:
    [​IMG]
    Yep . . . a CP.

CliffL likes this.
  3. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

You have a great memory for TV shows...I watched pretty much all those myself, we also loved All in the Family at my house. I would add Rowan and Martin's Laugh In and the Smothers Brothers -although by the early 70s the Smothers Brothers had been cancelled.

4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

To further the Cowsills/Love Generation connection, while The Cowsills performed the theme to Love American Style in it's first season, by the second season, they were replaced by a group of singers that included brothers John and Tom Bahler who had formed The Love Generation in the 60s.

czeskleba likes this.
  5. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I agree, I think the Love Generation was doing their homage to The Rain, the Park and Other Things. Definitely shows how the Partridge concept was rooted not just in the make up of the Cowsills, but in their sound as well.

6. AppleBonker

The show version is introduced by Johnny Cash (!!). Not sure how the Man in Black ended up introducing the Partridges, but he did.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Only in '60s. Or the hangover of the '60s, at least.

8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

From 1968, Montage From How Sweet It Is:

9. AppleBonker

Here's an odd clip. Ignore the general weirdness and focus on the central performance, which I was not able to find in any other form on YouTube. How old is Susan Dey exactly in this clip? Do you think she felt maybe a tad awkward? EDIT: she was 18 here; this is October, 1971.

Nice version of the Beatles classic nonetheless:

greelywinger likes this.
  10. Grant

Oh yeah! We loved those variety shows too. I remember everyone sitting down in front of the TV for The Flip Wilson show. Later, it became a ritual for me to watch Carol Burnett every Saturday night. That's the other show that would have me rolling on the floor in pain.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  11. Grant

Interesting label. The text and logo is vertical.

12. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

That's a cool Jimmy Webb tune. I'm another fan of the Bahler brothers, also have the Love Generation LP...here's my own favorite track, "Not Be Found":

LOVE GENERATION -NOT BE FOUND

13. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I Write the Songs was written by Bruce Johnston (of the Beach Boys) but it is not clear to me when he wrote it or who recorded it first.

Bruce Johnston replaced Brian Wilson in the touring version of the Beach Boys when Wilson had his breakdown in late 1964, and he was with the band until 1972. He then left for a solo career and returned to the Beach Boys in the late '70s. As far as I can tell he wrote I Write the Songs while in his solo period.

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. W.B.

Columbia did that with all Brunswick LP's with that label design from 1970 until the label design change in later '72. (They rearranged the arrow to what it should have been, by about Spring 1971.)

15. W.B.

Ms. Burnett's show was MAD TV long before MAD TV. That's because some of that magazine's "Usual Gang of Idiots" (namely, Stan Hart, Larry Siegel and Arnie Kogen) were, at differing times in the show's history, on the writing staff. Her film parodies (and not just "Went With The Wind!") still leave me in stitches.

pablo fanques and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I assume the premise is that they are appearing on The Johnny Cash Show, which was also running on ABC at the time The Partridge Family premiered. A bit of network cross promotion.

17. Grant

Was that really the way it should have been, or was it just the typesetter's opinion of how it should have been? As far as i'm concerned, the way it was from 1966 up to that point is how it should have been.

18. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

This is in reply to Hell on Reels’ post, which for some reason isn’t showing up even though I hit the “reply” button.:confused:

Yes James Burton did indeed perform on the show with Ricky Nelson. Here is a 1958 clip from Ozzie and Harriet.

pablo fanques and greelywinger like this.
  19. W.B.

The LP and 45 label designs for Brunswick from the mid-1960's up to 1972 were intended for the arrow to point left and the Brunswick logo and rim print at a 90-degree angle on the left (and on stereo LP's, 'STEREOPHONIC' at right). Evidently Columbia went with how the logo was positioned and thought it should have been on top.
    [​IMG]
    And you think that's bad? RCA record club pressings from Indianapolis had the Brunswick arrow pointing right!
    [​IMG]

zebop likes this.
  20. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was earlier in 75... 4-6 months before Manilow's version, I believe.

21. alphanguy

Next we have "Tears Of A Clown" By Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, #1 from December 12 - December 25, 1970.

SomeCallMeTim, Mylene, John22 and 7 others like this.
  22. alphanguy

And here we have it performed live on the Andy Williams show, October 31, 1970.

Bevok, Manapua and Damiano54 like this.
  23. W.B.

I have always preferred the updated rhythm section recording which, to my ears, improved over the original as on their ...Make It Happen LP. Bob Babbitt's bass work especially helps liven this.

It is also here that we see Columbia's pressing plants firmly back in the loop among those used by Motown. Here is the CP (Pitman) variant, of which I have a few copies:
    [​IMG]
    On their copies, the lacquers were (re)cut at Columbia's own Chicago studios, no doubt from next-generation dubs passed down from RCA's "Mid-America Recording Center" setup.

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I always thought this song was much older than 1970, so it's interesting to see a 1967 copyright. I assume Motown sat on this one or it got re-released or something. We probably covered this in the R&B thread and I've already forgotten. Such is old age...

One of Smokey's best hits. The Motown Remixed project from the last decade was a mixed bag, but the OutKast-esque remix of "Tears Of A Clown" was one of the highlights:

25. Grant

I was never a big fan of this song.

For me, the only way to go is the mono single version.