EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. W.B.

W.B. Forum Resident

Didn't Wenner hate 3DN but swoon over Ms. Jett? Might that have something to do with it? (I seem to recall Rolling Stone having a thing over the prior band she was in . . . The Runaways . . . )

That's not all. I've not heard much if any 3DN records on Q104.3 in New York . . . but they do play Ms. Jett every so often . . .

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Far prefer Jean Knight and her song. Again, just feels more authentic.

This song had a huge revival 15 years or so ago when Burger King used it in an ad campaign.

3. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Another one I remember from the country end of the spectrum was this one from 1969 by Lawrence Reynolds:

4. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I like the flip side "Bitch" much more. One of Keith Richards' best riffs ever!

sunspot42 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  5. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I read the book, it was excellent and a harrowing read with respect to Negron's addiction. He has a very good sense of humor also, and talked in detail about the conflicts between himself and Hutton and Wells. Speaking of Hutton, does anybody else remember him singing "Roses and Rainbows" in cartoon form on the Flintstones? Unfortunately not on YouTube, darn it.

[​IMG]

6. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

In my particular case, as we go forward in time, the number of songs I have no memories of hearing start to go down -- particularly so by the beginning of 1973, but they do exist for me (albeit in smaller numbers) all the way through 1976. I am still only 4 years old in spring 1971. I have resisted listing those later songs I don't remember at all because I don't want to jump ahead -- I think it is more appropriate to mention them at the appropriate time. However, by my doing so, you won't know which songs they are until we get there.

You are right about oldies radio, for many of those later '70s songs that I do remember, my memory of them is strictly from the '70s (at least as far as radio airplay). And I could say the same thing about oldies radio in the early '80s not playing many early '70s hits either - it seemed to me they played mostly '60s songs.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  7. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Again, speaking just for myself, it's not just the words themselves, it's the larger context of what those words could mean (e.g., at 4 years old in 1971, and at least into the 1980s, I had no idea that "brown sugar" could mean other things than the brown sugar that you buy in the baking aisle at the grocery store).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Jagger hasn't sang the line about whipping the women live for at least 20 years. Usually he leaves a blank space.

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Ayup. I've also come to like "Bitch" more than "Brown Sugar" - in fact more than several A-sides from this era.

10. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This song by John Kongos was my favorite current rock tune in the late spring of 1971, it got a lot of play on my local top 40 station KFXM...but I could never find it in stores and so didn't own it until getting on CD around 2005. "He's Gonna Step On You Again"

Grant and Victor/Victrola like this.
  11. Dougd

Dougd Well-Known Member

Love that record label design.

CliffL, Grant and Jrr like this.
  12. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next we have "It's Too Late/I Feel The Earth Move" by Carole King, #1 from June 19 - July 23, 1971.

SomeCallMeTim, Damiano54 and Grant like this.
  13. alphanguy

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This might be the first more or less contemporary #1 hit I remember hearing as a child - I was just shy of three when it topped the charts. I've always thought this was a perfect rainy day song. There's something about the muted sound of it, jazz and even blues tinged and poignantly sad. After a decade as one of the finest songwriters on the planet, "It's Too Late" finally made King the superstar she probably should have been all along. Dusty Springfield famously said she, "couldn't top the acetates" that King had recorded and sent to her over the years to demonstrate her latest compositions. Both sides of this record make it clear King was as formidable as a performer as she was as a composer.

Is this one of the last big two-sided hit singles? Apparently the label felt A-side "I Feel The Earth Move" had hit potential, but when DJ's started spinning the B-side "It's Too Late" instead sales and plays really took off. Both tracks became staples of pop and oldies radio over the years, and I've always loved them. DJ's would also stray beyond the singles to start playing other cuts from the Tapestry album, which became a fixture on the album-oriented radio of the day. "So Far Away" and "Smackwater Jack" made for another double A-side single, while album cuts like "Home Again", "Beautiful", and King's version of "You've Got A Friend" all got significant radio exposure. As a result Tapestry sold by the warehouse, becoming one of the biggest albums of all time and heralding the arrival of the decade's thousand pound pop gorilla, the singer songwriter movement.

As if in some cosmic sign of how that rise to prominence was meant to be, while King was recording Tapestry at A&M Studios, Joni Mitchell was across the hall cutting her own landmark recording, Blue. The times they were a changin', and for the first time in pop history it was women who were on the vanguard of the new sound. The impact of these two records would continue to reverberate for decades, both critically and commercially.

15. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Forum Resident

Ah, what a classic. I was only 6 going on 7 when it came out, and I'm pretty sure 1971 is when I first started forming the concept of a song being everywhere. "It's Too Late" and "My Sweet Lord" seemed to always be on the radio.

It must've gotten into my "wiring" because to this day hearing either song instantly hijacks my brain and makes everything groovy for five minutes.

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It definitely always takes me back to my hometown, our little shack of a house, and the aesthetic of the very early '70s. Break out the macrame, iron your hair (thank you, Peggy Lipton), pull on some bell-bottoms and slap "It's Too Late" on the Magnavox record player (where I no doubt heard it often - my uncle had the single). It doesn't make everything groovy for me, though - the song always gave me a melancholy feeling. It's really unique for a song that was such an enormous hit - definitely more literate than some of its more formulaic predecessors over the past 16 months or so. Not gloomy or epic, a la "The Long And Winding Road" or "Bridge Over Troubled Water", very personal yet also somehow universal. Really, a testament to King's abilities as a songwriter - it's as much an earworm as any of her '60s hits, but seems to hit much closer to home emotionally.

17. alphanguy

Due to the immense success of "It's Too Late", this is the song that it kept out of the #1 spot:

18. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I love Carole King's "It's Too Late" too. It reminds me of being very young, riding around with my grandmother and mother, 3 or 4. "It's Too Late" is proof of a timeless record yet one that is utterly part of its time. Like the others have described, this takes me back to 1971-72 every time I hear it.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  19. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I always preferred "I Feel The Earth Move" to "It's Too Late."

And I really like "It's Too Late," but if I was putting money in a jukebox, it was the other side. Love the intro to it.

JcS

SomeCallMeTim, sunspot42 and Manapua like this.
  20. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Then there is a God, after all.

SomeCallMeTim and AppleBonker like this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yeah, I Feel The Earth Move for me, too. They're both great tunes though. My first memory of Tapestry is buying it from Sears for 2.99. Ah, youth.

SomeCallMeTim and sunspot42 like this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think that's a shame. It's one of Karen's better performances. Certainly more #1-worthy than some cuts that made it to the top.

Harsh! OK, it is a bit syrupy, even for The Carpenters.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  23. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Forum Resident

This was the second of five times Karen and Richard got stopped at #2, which has to be at least close to a record. (They only hit #1 three times as a result).

Man, that pumping piano just gets my pulse going.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The Carpenters definitely elicit strong feelings for and against. I'm a fan and remember well this one stalling at #2. In fact, for the next couple of years, they were the CCR of soft pop, always a bridesmaid. That would change and really, there's no shame in multiple top five hits. Frustrating? Yes.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  25. alphanguy

This is actually my favorite from Tapestry... it doesn't get much play on radio anymore, but it used to.