EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I think the point of contention here is that album sales were gaining strength in the 70s so people weren't buying the singles as much if they already had or intended to buy the albums they came from. Savvy record companies would put out singles that differed from the LP versions to entice sales but that little trick generally ticked me off.

2. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Well, the Hot 100 is intended to list a song's overall popularity, so it takes into account all the ways in which pop music is consumed. Each of those ways are then weighted in terms of how prevalent they are in culture.

Back then sales and airplay were the main ways, so if sales were declining that had to be taken into account in order to keep the Hot 100 relevant.

Sales and airplay have long had their own separate charts.

Grant likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

that all black and white label you remember was a promo label.

I had two child block labels: ABC-Dunhill for The Four Tops' "Ain't No Woman Like The One I Got", and an ABC label for Steely Dan's "Reeling In The Years".

Jumping ahead again!:tsk::wave::D

But, sales of 45s were still very strong. What really ticked me off is when the alternate mixes got out of hand in the 90s.

4. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

Well, my point was that the emergence of albums as the more popular way to purchase music certainly impacted the volume of total singles sold, but I'm not really seeing how it affected relative singles sales, which is what the charts tabulate. The charts measure (as far as sales go) whether "You're So Vain" sells more copies this week than "Sail On Sailor", but whether the margin is 50,000 to 10,000 or 5,000 to 1,000 doesn't make any difference in their relative chart positions.

5. Black Thumb

The sales-only chart tabulates relative sales. The Hot 100 attempts to blend sales, airplay (and these days streaming) into something representing overall popularity, using a formula that they periodically adjust.

As I understand it, in June '73 Billboard determined that the decline in singles sales and the prevailing trends in radio called for one of those formula adjustments.

My earlier point was that the pre-June singles that so many here recall hearing all over the radio may well have placed higher if the post-June formula with it's heavier emphasis on airplay were being used.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

While he did borrow from "Soul Makossa" for that tune, we won't necessarily be discussing it here down the road a decade - it never made it to #1. Which is unfortunate, since it's always been my favorite off that particular album...

7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The ABC blocks label 45's I have:
    - "Reeling In The Years" (ABC-11352)
    - A future #1 single we'll be looking at down the road (won't go farther than this)
    - "Say You Love Me Too" by Charles Mann (ABC-11347)
    - The other Steely Dan single which was shown earlier
    And on Dunhill:
    - Said Four Tops 45 (D-4339)
    - "Who Gets Your Love" by Dusty Springfield (D-4341)
    - "Moonshine (Friend Of Mine)" by John Kay (D-4351)
    - "Shambala" by Three Dog Night (D-4352)
    'Cept for the Tops, the other Dunhills all had CBS Pitman type on the labels.

Both "blocks" labels were phased in towards the end of January 1973, but apparently were dropped by May.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Not to worry.

9. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next we have "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia", by Vicki Lawrence, #1 from April 1 - April 14, 1973.

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Oy. Didn't Cher turn her nose up at this?

Mylene likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The Wikipedia entry on this one is great, and it has a kinda crazy story:

Bobby Russell wrote it but didn't like it.
    Then-wife Vicki Lawrence cut a demo of it
    The label didn't know who to pitch it to - it's not quite pop but not quite country
    They thought about offering it to Liza Minnelli (it's kinda Broadway), but eventually offered it to Cher
    Sonny nixed it - he thought it might offend her southern fans
    Lawrence decided to cut it herself, with none other than the Wrecking Crew

Carol Burnett presented Lawrence with an RIAA gold record for this one on the final episode of the 6th season of her show.

Lawrence's instincts were right. This loopy little song, goofy as it was, was just compelling enough to keep listeners hanging on to the end and the big reveal. And Lawrence, being a comedic actress with impeccable timing, knew just how to sell it even if she wasn't a Cher / Minnelli caliber singer. Indeed, I think it would have been an over the top trainwreck if either of them had gotten their hands on it (Helen Reddy on the other hand could have had a hit with this one as well).

I love these crazy story-songs from the early '70s. Some of them ("Taxi") seem to be more critically acceptable than others (this one, "Dark Lady"). And yeah, there's a certain kitsch aspect to most of them, but that's part of the charm. Anyhow, are they any more trashy and bizarre than the daily headlines from Florida? Or from Washington D.C., for that matter?

Finally, whenever I hear this song, I can't help but think of this great scene from Designing Women. RIP Dixie:

12. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

I guess here's where I part company with most folks here, as this one starts my favorite era of Top 40 music and chart toppers in particular. This has always been one of my favorite records, a delightful story song with that wonderful AM 70s pop preoccupation, death, most especially murder.
    It was a genuinely liberating cultural moment for 70s pop fans when Tarantino chose to set Reservoir Dogs during a Super Sounds Of The 70s weekend, which the characters discuss and respond to throughout the film. A particularly delicious conversation centers around this song and it's twist ending.
    The final lines are among my favorites, although I must admit, the protagonist probably should have prevented her brother's death. Bravo, "Mama"! For extra points, check out Vicki's lurid prostitution/death followup, Hollywood Seven.
    I'll take this stuff over that Piano Man crap any day.

13. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Sonny could've made better decisions regarding the music Cher sang, I believe he also rejected 'Angie Baby', which became a #1 million seller for Helen Reddy in '74.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  14. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'm partial on this song, but it's very of the period. At this time 'story' songs were all the rage and this fit right in. I'm not familiar with what may have later transpired with the career of Vicki Lawrence but this is her biggest and signature hit.

I love the verses to the song, and much like Cher's 'Dark Lady' and Helen Reddy's 'Angie Baby', the song was in the tradition of female artists singing rather grim and haunting songs with spooky lyrics I guess. I could imagine being a child at this time and being frightened by some of what was being played on the radio :laugh:

I'll admit I hadn't heard this song til just last week, and that's only because I knew it would be coming up soon in this thread :oops:

I sorta liked what I was hearing though :D

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

So she killed her brother's wife, her lover and her brother got the chair?

16. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

And because the police and judge had something against him?

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Pretty much. That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia!

Grant likes this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Her brother?

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's a lot of things that don't make sense. The lights going down would make you think the guy got the chair but the lyrics say they hanged him. If Vikki hid the cheating wife's body why did she leave the cheating lover for her brother to find therefore sending him to the gallows?

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

For some reason i always believed Brother went home, got his gun and went looking for Seth Amos because Andy would still have been at the bar. Brother probably believed the tiny footprints were that of his cheating wife so (because there were two sets of footprints) would have known his missing wife wasn't there unless 'the path was deep and wide from footsteps leading to the cabin'

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. Someone posted this song, Dark Lady and Angie Baby were charming. I think of them as a trio of terror but that's just me.

John54, sunspot42 and SITKOL'76 like this.
  22. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Lol, before we get into full deciphering mode I would like to give a shout-out to a great song that was stuck at #2 behind 'The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia'. Gladys Knight & The Pips 'Neither One Of Us'.

A subtle and soulful vocal by Gladys Knight, and the first of many consecutive hits for Gladys Knight & The Pips during these years.

Coincidentally after being blocked by a song with 'Georgia' in it's title, the group would go on to score their own #1 hit with a song that also has 'Georgia' in it's title later this same year.

23. Black Thumb

The part that gets me is the bartender saying "don't lose your head" but then adding "oh, btw, I've been with your wife too".

Yeah, that's a good way to get him to calm down.

Endicott, Grant and Mylene like this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If Andy's the bartender then he must leave the bar unattended because he gets scared and goes home in the second verse.

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Good grief don't make it worse!

Grant likes this.