EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

To be sure, Lay Down Sally and the LP it came from was released in the fall of '77.

Grant likes this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

We forget that, while reggae was never as big in America as it got in the UK, it still had considerable influence on the US charts and on American music, including carrying Eric Clapton of all people to the top of the charts.

"I Can See Clearly Now" obviously had come out of reggae to become a massive smash in America, for example, and The Staple Singers had a big hit with the reggae-tinged "I'll Take You There". Reggae crept into and influenced a lot of music around this time in the states - I think some of that increased emphasis on the beat might well have helped paved the way for the embrace of disco happening around this time, and you hear a bit of reggae influence in the beat on some early disco tracks like "Rock Your Baby" and KC's other early hits, along with numerous early disco soundalikes such as Andrea True's "More, More, More".

This faint reggae pulse continued thru the '70s right into the '80s, with acts like The Police and Blondie using reggae to score massive chart hits.

3. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

It only got to #3. Therefore, it's not as good as You're Having My Baby. Stevie, you're good, but you're not Anka good!

(look at me, I said that and kept a straight face!)

4. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Feel Like Making Love

Just wanted to mention this song before it got too far into the past. For some reason, this is the Flack track I always forget when I'm thinking about her classic wax. Don't know why, it's really a nifty little number, and she does her usual great job singing it. I think I might just prefer Killing Me Softly, but that's no knock on this song.

You're Having My Baby

No, you folks in this thread aren't having my baby (as far as I know, anyway), that's just the title of the cheeseburger we're talking about next.

So tell me again how The Night Chicago Died is terrible and is one of the all time worst #1 songs, when it was followed by this... accomplishment? Words fail me. Just a fabulous catastrophe all the way around.

We have another instance of weird chart synergy, with a song about death being followed by one about birth.

I never realized before that Anka basically thanks the lady for not terminating her pregnancy. Only in the seventies? I guess I can see why that might be a tad controversial, but I can't get past the Ramada-Inn-Wayfarer-Lounge level of cheesiness of the whole affair. (and while we're at it, I also get the feeling that they are unmarried, so yet another little bit o' controversy frosting for this rancid devil's food cake).

I can't remember what's coming next, but it just has to be a step up. Right? Right?

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Cheese was huge in the mid 70s and probably no more so than in 1974.

6. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I took a quick peek at the upcoming entries till the end of the year, and I like pretty much all except for one (and it's probably not the one people are thinking of).

7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Like a fish . . .

Grant likes this.
  8. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

All the most popular 70s hits are good to me, because they remind me of being a kid. I really love them all. You're Having My Baby, cheesy? You bet. But, I'm a kid again listening to a transistor radio on the beach if I hear it.

Nostalgia > my musical taste

(I hate Candy Man by Sammy Davis Jr., though)

9. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The 1950-53 period seemed pretty cheesy at times . . .

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Oh, no doubt about it but cheese was pretty much the order of the day then. R&R tried to clean out as much as was possible in the 60s but the 70s brought it back with a vengeance!

11. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

1973-76 appears to have plenty of cheese.
    Not that there wasn't good stuff those years (ala Chicago, Steely Dan, BTO, etc.), but there sure was a lot of cheese, particularly 73-74.

12. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Yes, and I was four years old in the fall of '77. Not sure where '76 came from. Whoops.

Manapua likes this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Carole King had her last #1 album this year and nearly topped the charts with the swinging Jazzman featuring the ubiquitous sax playing of musician du jour Tom Scott.

14. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Jazzman actually did top two out of the three major charts

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

For the purposes of this thread, all my chart stats pertain to Billboard.

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Another example of how jazz/rock was a massive force on the charts by the mid-'70s.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

When many people stop one addiction, they just move on to another one.

18. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...One rather now associates this song with Lisa Simpson and Bleeding Gums Murphy!:cool::laugh::wiggle::evil:
    I guess that more positive than a negative review of it comparing it unfavorably with Sedaka's " Laughter In The Rain " in an old singles review column by Greg Shaw...G. S. said " Carole King is -still??- pretending to be black...Meanwhile, her old boyfriend, Neil...".
    Did anyone else here ever read that joint biography of Carole, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon, " Girls Like Us", ten-ish years ago? Of those three women, Carole had the most Middle America/mainstream appeal...but had two consecutive husband's/main men who were, essentially, cult leaders...And one of them wormed his way onto her records as lyricist. Apparently, with karma a go go cosmic ramblings that sent her record career smashing down:eek:...

apua, post: 18953350, member: 62637"]Carole King had her last #1 album this year and nearly topped the charts with the swinging Jazzman featuring the ubiquitous sax playing of musician du jour Tom Scott.

[/QUOTE]

19. Grant

Remember that when we get to the early 80s.

20. Grant

It was fading away by 1973. It didn't disappear, as Chicago was about the only band left doing it after that point, but the next thing was smooth or cool jazz. Think: The Crusaders, Ronnie Laws, Herbie Hancock, and many others. Thing is, they were lumped in with the quiet storm category. In fact, The Crusaders had one of their biggest hits "Put It Where You Want It", which was also covered by The Average White Band. Herbie Hancock had the classic "Chameleon" from his "Headhunters" album. We are also entering the next funk era. Ohio Players combined jazz, soul, and funk into a unique blend that made their albums irresistible. They competed with Earth, Wind & Fire and Average White Band.

We will be discussing all of these artists, their music, and more now.

BTW, this was a smokin'top 10 hit in the fall of '74:

Skin Tight - Ohio Players

SomeCallMeTim and Manapua like this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That was cheese of another flavor but I guess cheese is cheese.

Grant likes this.
  22. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

..."Skintight " has s rather interesting implied/ unspoken rhyme..." britches " with " b*tch*s " - instead, the OPs sing " misses/britches/ditches " - It was"t the gangsta rap era yet, yo!!!!!!!!!!!:edthumbs:

ant, post: 18953605, member: 91"]It was fading away by 1973. It didn't disappear, as Chicago was about the only band left doing it after that point, but the next thing was smooth or cool jazz. Think: The Crusaders, Ronnie Laws, Herbie Hancock, and many others. Thing is, they were lumped in with the quiet storm category. In fact, The Crusaders had one of their biggest hits "Put It Where You Want It", which was also covered by The Average White Band. Herbie Hancock had the classic "Chameleon" from his "Headhunters" album. We are also entering the next funk era. Ohio Players combined jazz, soul, and funk into a unique blend that made their albums irresistible. They competed with Earth, Wind & Fire and Average White Band.

We will be discussing all of these artists, their music, and more now.

BTW, this was a smokin'top 10 hit in the fall of '74:

Skin Tight - Ohio Players

[/QUOTE]

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm all about the Honey LP but I know we have a whole 'nother year to get through before we tackle that jam.

Grant likes this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lots of kids at school had 461 Ocean Boulevard and it was considered a classic album. Someone lent it to me and after the first two songs it's pretty heavy sledding. Natty Dread by The Wailers was a big underground album here so most people knew what reggae was.

25. Grant

Uh...not quite what they were talking about. They were talking about bird watching, not sexual assault.