EVERY Billboard #1 rhythm & blues hit discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomstockman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Now were talkin'! The Boogie's Back Again! A follow up to Jungle Boogie and just as good. On to the dance floor and get down! No way you cam sit still when this comes on.

2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I think I remember this one, either that or I'm confusing it with another faceless funk jam. Summer Madness seems to be quite popular, at least from all the comments I've read on other threads. I was surprised when I looked it up to discover a spacey, quiet storm instrumental.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Summer Madness - Kool & The Gang

leshafunk and Dan Steely like this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Don't remember this one. Another cut that's all about the groove. Kinda generic. This stuff can tip over into self-parody really easily.

Grant likes this.
  5. Grant

Next #1:

Love Won't Let Me Wait - Major Harris Week ending June 7, 1975, 1wk

Ah yes! This one was a huge hit! The bedroom jam of the summer from this one-hit wonder. Well, for our purposes, he was a one-hit wonder. This is the edited single version that cut out a bit of the ad-lib near the end and faded before the really steamy moans of pleasure came in. Even with the edit, it was one of those songs that was embarrassing to hear around your mom if it came on the radio.

This song, like "The Hustle" being discussed on the other Billboard thread, takes me back to that hot summer of 1975. I heard it on KBBC-FM a lot.

John22 likes this.
  6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And was another Philly soul classic. I may've asked this when we examined Blue Magic's "Sideshow," but has anyone found out what the initials of the WMOT production company signified? There was definitely no radio station in the Philly area with those call letters . . .

Oh, and on the pop charts (where it peaked at #5), Mr. Harris sho' wuz a one-hit wonder. But, as you say, what a hit it was . . .

john lennonist likes this.
  7. Grant

WMOT Records - Wikipedia

8. W.B.

Makes sense . . .

9. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have the album version (5:29) as last song on the 8-cd-set "Atlantic R&B 1947-1974". When I heard the set for the first time I thought: a strange song to finish this R&B set.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This one cropped up on that multi-CD Atlantic set that came out in the '80s. Very evocative of the early '70s, although it sounds more '73-'74 to my ears than '75. I've got no memory of it from the time, but decent cut. Love the way it transitions into the title phrase.

11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

@John22 just slipped in, noting he'd also gotten this from that Atlantic R&B set. They must have sold a billion of those things.

12. Grant

And I thought it was entirely appropriate.

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I thought it was an odd choice too, 20 years ago or whatever, but listening to it now I find it curiously harks back to older R&B styles while remaining distinctly early-'70s. So maybe it wasn't such an odd choice after all.

14. W.B.

Wouldn't some people have thought of "LWLMW" as "dated, yet timeless"? In its instrumentation, it did have the feel of a 1972-73 recording . . . but no doubt the "moans" heard towards the end had to have been inspired by Barry White and his work. I thought the early fadeout on the single was more effective, the "long" version to my mind seemed to pad out to the proverbial "union length." And the SP label variant seen on that YT clip is the one I have in my collection.

15. Grant

TIme for a new #1 since no one much seems to care about "Love Won't Let Me Wait", which is, BTW, in the same general lounge style as "Me & Mrs. Jones". And, speaking of "Me & Mrs Jones", The Dramatics did a very popular R&B cover of it on ABC Records around this time.

Anyway, for the next #1:

Rockin' Chair - Gwen McCrae Week ending July 14, 1975 1 wk

Another hit from the T.K. Records stable. This was George McCrae's wife who had his blockbuster hit one chart year ago.

This video has better sound to me than I have on CD. I gotta say that this song was never a favorite of mine. I find it kinda boring.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. At least Blahzay Blahzay knew they had a hit when they heard this song:

17. W.B.

Although the arrangement is different, "Rockin' Chair" seems cut from the same cloth (ha-ha) as "Rock Your Baby." Especially on the chorus.

Grant likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Agreed. Boring. Also for some reason sounds a couple of years older than "Rock Your Baby". Something about the way the piano is recorded I think...very '60s.

19. W.B.

More like Betty Wright "Clean Up Woman" vintage, I suppose . . .

Grant likes this.
  20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Don't know about anyone else on the forum, but "Love Won't Let Me Wait" and (Billy Paul's version of) "Me & Mrs. Jones" are two of my favorite songs of the '70's :love:

Grant likes this.
  21. W.B.

Actually, more people (besides myself) cared about "Love Won't Let Me Wait," from my analysis, than one of the #1's on the country charts as on my 1975 country #1's thread. Must've used up all they had to say for that number on the pop #1's thread.

john lennonist likes this.
  22. Grant

Moving along...Next #1, as I have fallen a couple of months behind the other thread:

Give The People What They Want - O'Jays July 26, 1975, 1wk

I like the song. The only time I heard it in 1975 is on Soul Train, though. In fact, I would have used the Soul Train clip as the clip, but the sound was wonky. This is the album length.

This song is a nice funky, and lively jam, a nice dance floor workout.

leshafunk and Dan Steely like this.
  23. First heard it here:

I had to find the original. What great funky track. One of funkiest from Philadelphia International. Nice drum intro and then the bass comes in. One of my favourite tracks by the O'Jays.

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No memory of this O'Jays track. I like it. Shoulda been a bigger hit on the pop charts here than #45...

25. W.B.

It does seem one of their forgotten tracks in relation to their "biggies" . . .

Grant and sunspot42 like this.