EVERY Billboard #1 rhythm & blues hit discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomstockman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Now we know where Maurice Starr got the idea for New Edition's "Candy Girl" some 13-14 years after this . . . if forced to choose between this and that, I'd pick "ABC" any time.

In New York, the title of this track created sort of a quandary in Top 40 AM radio land. WMCA 57, then in its last months of its music format before going all-talk, actually messed with the title, renaming it "MCA."

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yup. His goal was to recreate a Jackson 5 for the 80s. And, Gen-X'ers have fond memories of New Edition. That group was full of talent, and the music was good.

3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

ABC , to these ears, straddles the bubblegum line in a way I Want You Back didn't. Mainly the bopping beat and elementary ABC, 123 chants but that's not a put-down. I loved the J5 from the start and the early 70s saw them at their peak. To be sure, most of my very favorite songs come from their mid period but there's no denying the year 1970 and Soul in particular, was dominated by the 5 young men from Gary, Indiana. 4 straight #1s from the start! Responsible for half of the R&B #1 hits on the Hot 100 of 1970 - 4 out of 8. Oh and of those 8, 7 were Motown singles. They're back baby!

4. Grant

I do not agree with that at all. I'd say the best years of the original lineup were from 1969 to 1973.

5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Benton's Cotillion albums are great, got them all. I'm a fan of the Mercury days too, a song hear and there, Brook did an album with Quincy Jones that was nice too.

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'd say every single released in a calendar year going to #1 is an amazing feat that they never repeated though I didn't mean to imply quality. As I said, my favorite tunes come later. Well, with the exception of I Want You Back.

7. Grant

The mono mix of "I Want You Back" is the bomb!

8. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I love 'Call Me' and 'I Want You Back'

The former is one of Aretha's most beautiful ballads, almost up there with 'Angel', which is a feat in itself.

hypockets likes this.
  9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Is anyone farmiliar with Aretha's version of 'Oh Me Oh My', it's so splendid to me.

Damiano54 likes this.
  10. Grant

11. W.B.

Isn't a Joe Tex song with that word in the title about 6 - 7 years from what we're looking at now?

hypockets and Grant like this.
  12. W.B.

Anyway, I remember when in summer camp, in one or two of the summers the ABC album was in the collection. A Superior Record Pressing copy. They also had Michael Jackson's Ben album (the one with just him on the cover and not the rodent), with not only the title track (and his first pop #1) but also covers of The Stylistics' "People Make The World Go Round," The Temptations' "My Girl," and Stevie Wonder's "Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Do-Da-Day"(sp?) - likewise pressed by Superior. One other track that sticks out to me from there was "What Goes Around Comes Around."

13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)
    Lady Bump
    Bump, Bump, Bump
    Bump N'Grind
    Bump Me Baby
    Bumpin'
    :biglaugh:

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  14. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Is this thread free for all? Can we post the next song when we feel it's time?

@Grant

You seem in charge so I'm just making sure :D

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

If you're not lookin' for an **** whoopin', I'd advise against it! :whistle:

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  16. W.B.

The pop thread, new #1's are added every two days. I only "officially" entered one #1 once, and on authorization from the thread starter whose Internet was off at the time. Let nature take its course, I'd say . . .

17. Grant

Remember: it takes two hands to handle a whopper!

18. Grant

I run this thread like alphanguy runs the other thread.

I also entered #1 on that thread.

On this thread, I try to enter them according to the replies to a song. Otherwise, I try to go every two days. If I skip a few like I did before, I will tend to rush through them a bit faster, and anyone can play catch-up as they need. I also want to reasonable keep pace with the other thread because there will be songs that crossover. I will cover those songs, too.

I'm thinking this thread isn't as popular as the other one for several reasons:

• The R&B in the title seems exclusive to some people
    • Some members just don't like R&B
    • The thread just hasn't moved into the time frame that a lot of people are interested in yet
    • Some people just aren't familiar with the music so they can't comment on it.
    • They have me on ignore.:)
    I know there are people enthusiastic to get this thing into the late 70s and the 80s, but the point is to go through song by song in sequence.

So, with that, here's the next #1 single of 1970:
    Turn Back The Hands Of Time - Tyrone Davis

Tyrone Davis was a popular soul singer in the 70s. I'm not a big fan of his, but I kind of like this song.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  19. W.B.

And I am as aware as you and alphanguy, that it's not just the sequence that counts, but also the process.

Grant likes this.
  20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

At this point, I don't know why some folks want to speed things up. Remember, when it's eventually done, that's it. No more discussion. Enjoy the process people.
    Now, as for Turn Back The Hands Of Time, I really like this one. The string arrangement nicely compliments the R&B element, breezing the song along and the horns seal the deal. By the by, the version you presented is not quite the one I heard in 1970. Subtle differences tell me it's a different take or a later re-recording.

Damiano54 and sunspot42 like this.
  21. W.B.

And as I've said befo' (as how Tyrone Davis would've likely said it), listen to the verses and chorus of this song, then listen to the verses of Marvin Gaye's "Too Busy Thinkin' About My Baby" from the previous year. I could swear arranger "Tom Tom" Washington and producer Willie Henderson - not to mention the writers of this number - heard the Gaye record numerous times before laying everything out on and for this one. To be sure, I enjoy this one too, and no doubt the "mono rocks" mantra would apply here as well.

zebop likes this.
  22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Tyrone Davis had a big hit with "Turn Back The Hands Of Time" and seemingly stated in the same style until the mid '70s. The pop success was fleeting though, luckily he and his producers/arrangers were content with him being a mid level R&B star.

Grant likes this.
  23. Grant

That's weird. When I posted it this afternoon, it had the original mix. It seems like someone went in and changed it. I always check.

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

There are two uploads on youtube featuring the single pictured on your post. The second one as you scroll down has the original version.

25. Grant

And, I didn't even see the one you posted, or else I would have gone with that.