Everyone have their RCA LIVING STEREO SACDs yet? Better grab 'em! Leontyne Price...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes. The results are the same for these reissues as for other HQ analog to digital music tranfers,...from MoFi and Analog Production.

The SACD 2ch layer has more definition and resolution compared to the CD 2ch layer. It depends on your system and stereo equipment how great the differences feels.
    There is one thing I have learned from SACD: It truly delivers if your system delivers. You get that superfine resolution if your system is truly transparent with very low noise floor.
    In that way, SACD is very "honest".

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I ordred 4 more SACD's yesterday from Amazon/uk.:)

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, I totally agree that these are all essential. I bought them all as soon as each group was released.

4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Thanks. I think the other issue with my system(s) is that my 2ch DAC/CD transport combo in my audio system is much better than my universal Pioneer SACD player in my mid-fi home theatre system.

5. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

my favorite! and it sounds good on classic records 45 rpm version too. but even the redbook on these is fine stuff, imo.

thanks for the good advice Steve! I will stock up on the titles I don't have.

6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I've ordered once from DD, and it took longer than I liked for the items being in stock. I'd rather pay a few bucks more thru amazon for in stock items and a shipped notice. :thumbsup:

7. drumz73075

drumz73075 Forum Resident

I just ordered more from the Living Stereo SACD series, I already have a few, they are wonderful. Can anybody comment on the quality of the standard redbook non SACD Living Stereos? These are dirt cheap too. Just wondering if it would be worth my while to look into these also.

8. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Almost as good, like the CD layer of an SACD. They were made on the same rebuilt tube decks by the same methods, and sound analogue. A lot of them were also RCA Gold Seal issues in the mid-80s, well done, but on non-vintage decks. In a few cases, I prefer the more laid back Gold Seal releases. Basically, these were great recordings to begin with, so they transferred well. Also, don't overlook the Mercury Living presence releases. I don't think they were made into SACDs, but they were handled the same way as the Living Stereo, using vintage-restored playback equipment. Another point though -- the SACDs may be an endangered species, but I would think that the redbook versions will forge on until the CD format finally plays into the sunset.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I bought the first 10 or so titles when they first came out, and it was fun to set up three speakers to listen to the 3-channel mixes, but have not bought any recently. I found the 3 speaker set up very interesting. It was just a little bit of a pain moving speakers around to get the sound right. I'll pick up a few more.

10. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Yes, as I mentioned I do have a complete collection of the non-SACD Living Stereo CDs sans opera titles. Not all of them are guaranteed to be easy to find and/or cheap. Some were limited. Some appear to have been made in Europe and could be thin on the ground here. The CD series is inconsistent and always less accurate than the DSD or CD layers of the SACDs - a modern console in the signal path with its nine miles of wire and electronics and not always the best elements used, among other factors. They are preferable to earlier CDs, which are less consistent, and again there are no SACD remasters of many titles in the earlier CD series.

The SACDs are simply a superior mastering in every case (where there was an SACD version, that is). Although I appreciate Chip disagrees that the results are always preferable and also that some will prefer the original vinyl (no reissue sounds like the original vinyl due to the lathes etc), it's my feeling that one is better off with the SACD version where possible. That applies even if one doesn't have SACD playback as the CD layer of the SACD is also quite good.

11. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

I started collecting the Living Stereo SACDs about six months ago when I got an Oppo universal player. I've been thrilled by every one and have about 15 right now with 7 on order from Deepdiscount.com. Another great one that has not been mentioned is the Symphonie Fantastique disc by Munch. Oh, and a couple of really tasty collection sets are the Spain disc and the Vienna disc. I love them both. Maybe if we all pick up a bunch of these at the same time it will cause the label to reconsider and release another batch. We can always hope, don't you think?

12. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I have a dozen of these titles mostly purchased from yourmusic.com. Just ordered another 13 from Deep Discount. All are on back order, but last month I ordered a bunch of DVDs that were on back order (MGM Midnight Movies 2-fers that are also apparently going out of print) and they all shipped within a week of the order, so I'm hoping for the same this time.

The Mercury Living Presence SACDs are also quite nice sounding.

13. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

I just ordered the Leontyne Price "blue" SACD. I'm not a big fan of opera but what I heard from her, on the Spain disc, I really liked. Thanks Steve for your recommendation.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Would be nice, but Sony/BMG Masterworks killed the Great Performances and Living Stereo series two years ago. List price for these discs was reduced earlier this year to $9.98 from $11.98. At this point, it's all sell-through and then no more. Let's hope for high-rez downloads, 24/96 or higher etc.

15. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

Great Video! Thanks Steve! They sure don't make them like in the old days :) I love RCA Living Stereo SACDs :)

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

If you liked that little 1956 movie, you might (key word is might) be interested in how they did it in 1942:

Those of you lucky enough to make a field trip to Record Technology, Inc. in Camarillo, CA with me have seen first hand how records are cut and pressed. For those of you who have not or can not make the trip, these 1942 and 1956 docu-commercials for RCA-Victor are pretty much right on. A few things have changed of course over the years but if you watch these little movies you will see how it was done then and if you make it out to RTI with me how much of it is STILL DONE the same exact way now!

In the film ("Command Performance") from 1942 you will see the recording of a "78", how the wax was prepared, the cutting of the live music, the preparation of the metal parts, the mixing of the shellac and the final pressing of the record.

Notice the small room in which the orchestra was crammed and the drapes on the wall to cut any reverb bouncing off the walls? In the 30's-40's it was considered best if the music recorded had no ambiance whatsoever. They felt that the consumer's home would add the ambiance, hence the dry acoustically dead recording room. Later, when the H-Fi boom started (around 1953) the record companies started recording big orchestras in real halls with nice acoustics. Movie music for the most part was still recorded in the 1940's way; dead rooms leaving the big theater to supply the echo.

Watch COMMAND PERFORMANCE on your computer...

http://www.archive.org/details/CommandP1942

I've watched COMMAND PERFORMANCE many times. It shows stuff (and the old RCA-Victor buildings) that is just gone forever. How they make the wax blanks is worth the trip alone.

17. bgiliberti

If we are talking about the pre SACD Living Stereo and Mercury Living presence, my reading of the booklets is that they used the same StuderA tape machine with Cello electronics. Thus, the regular CDs I have sound amazing also. The difference seems to be that the SACD releases uses DSD conversion, which Sony claims is better than PCM, but which others disagree. The SACD layers sound better IMO because they are 24 bit, but I'm not so sure about the redbook layers. I'd say that if you don't have an SACD player, get whatever version you can find, esp the OOP stuff. You'll be plenty happy!

18. John22

John22 Forum Resident

19. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

I have 37 of these with another 8 in my wish list. I've been slowly buying these over the last couple of years. I am certainly no classical music expert but I've been pretty happy with this series thus far. Excellent value too. Damn shame Sony/BMG killed it.

Once I purchase the remaining 8 titles in my wish list I'm done with this series, I think ;). I could always change my mind but Opera still escapes me. I'm afraid it's just not for me. I don't like purchasing something just to have it but the collector side of me says to heck with it.

20. bgiliberti

The La Traviata SACD with the late, great former Met diva Anna Moffo may change your mind. Even with the vintage hiss, it's the most startlingly realistic opera recording in my entire collection. It was for years the best selling opera in the RCA series, and if you don't fall in love with Violetta and Anna Moffo after hearing this, your heart must truly be made of stone!!! http://www.amazon.com/Traviata-RMST...r_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1259165171&sr=1-28

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

22. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

Agreed,

if you enjoy RCA Living Stereo SACDs you should definitely check the MLP SACD series... here are my 3 recommended titles :thumbsup:

Bach: Six Suites for Solo Cello - Janos Starker
    http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/1542

Dvorak: Cello Concerto, Bruch, Tchaikovsky - Starker/Dorati
    http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/2974

Stravinsky: The Firebird (complete ballet) - Dorati
    http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/1687

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Is anyone still selling the Living Stereo pop CD's that came out in Europe? I bought a few at a record show (Mancini, Gogi Grant, Abby Lane) and could do with more.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have all three (except my cello concerto disc is the original non-SACD cd). All excellent.

25. I don't think so myself. I may admittedly be in the minority here -
    but I have a lot of these records as original vinyl to compare both digital versions to;
    and in several cases I actually prefer the mono mixes (only available on the vinyl).