Everyone have their RCA LIVING STEREO SACDs yet? Better grab 'em! Leontyne Price...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 22, 2009.

1. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

It's RE1, not I. It's a reissue designation.

Rob Zarzecki likes this.
  2. BobNN

BobNN New Member

Classical 40% off sale is going on at B&N. >30 RCA Living Stereo SACDs are priced at $5.99. To summarize what others have said. Search for "SACD" and sort with price low to high. You will see Living Stereo near the bottom. Bartok is priced at $7.19 new, but it appears to be a redbook CD, despite what the title says.

Kkfan, superstar19, mmars982 and 3 others like this.
  3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. Just picked up six SACDs, with free shipping, for less than $40. I gambled on the Bartok, as it clearly claims to be the "Living Stereo Hybrid SACD" version... We'll see what shows up, I guess. This purchase will give me a total of 33 titles in the series. I'd kill for "La Traviata" but that one is long out of print and available only for $50 or more...

Donniej and Simon A like this.
  4. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Thanks. I was just saying to myself we're getting near the end of September and should be about time for the sale. I get B&N e-mail a few times a week, and I don't know if I missed it or they just haven't advertised it.

Had some gift cards to use up so I'm in for:

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas [Hybrid SACD]
    Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra, etc. [Hybrid SACD]
    Spain
    Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique
    Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade; Igor Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale
    Chopin: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2
    Mendelssohn: Italian & Reformation Symphonies
    Mahler: Symphony No. 4

Simon A likes this.
  5. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

It is the red book, several people were 'burned' last year including me.

6. Vinylfindco

If you get the sacs Bartok, let us know. Last year I got a red book that looks like the sacd

7. BobNN

BobNN New Member

The reason why I think Bartok is likely a CD (in spite of its title) is because it is labeled as "CD" next to "$7.19" in the thumbnail listing. This continues to the product description page and order page. Other recordings are labeled as "SACD" in contrast.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I'm attempting to enter an Australian cell number however I'm receiving the following error:

"Phone Number is not in a valid format this page requires, please update."

What format should it be?

9. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Tried a different browser and it worked fine!

Simon A likes this.
  10. superstar19

My Bartok disc is being shipped separately from the rest of my order. Not a good sign!

11. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I've seen both, the 2013 red book cd has the extra '0' on the end of the bar code, the sacd does not

Simon A likes this.
  12. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

If it's any consolation, the Bartok sacd is in two-channel stereo.

BobNN and Simon A like this.
  13. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Not 3?

14. Vinylfindco

Last year I ordered the Bartok from B&N. I was surprised because it was one of the hard to get titles. It was listed and pictured as an SACD. It was not. It has the same packaging design of the SACD series, but without the sacd symbol on the package. Very confusing. The disc is a CD but used the new Soundmirror two channel DSD mastering. Had a hell of a time returning it since I opened it to verify. Try explaining its a CD and not an SACD to customer service. No one of the five people I talked to knew what an SACD even was. They looked at me like I was from another planet!

15. BobNN

BobNN New Member

I looked it up, and on the Bartok SACD, Concerto for Orchestra is indeed in two channels, while the other two pieces (Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta and Hungarian Sketches) are in three tracks. It counts as a small consolation, as I did not know the former. haha

16. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Yes, I spent quite some time setting up my new player and receiver wondering why I couldn't get any center channel for the Concerto! Then I looked at the liner notes.

Fortunately the performance comes across in two channel stereo.

17. superstar19

Bartok disc arrived and indeed it is the redbook CD version but it also arrived unsealed with no shrink wrap.

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Some of the very early 50's RCA stereo recordings were recorded on two track machines. As the decade advanced, three track machines came on board.

19. BobNN

BobNN New Member

That's probably the copy that Vinylfindco returned last year...

20. superstar19

I was thinking the same thing! I'm not surprised that the redbook CD was sent, but I'm quite annoyed that they sent me an unwrapped copy that was likely already a previous return. I probably would have kept the CD since I don't do that much multi-channel listening, but now I'm thinking of returning on principle! :D

21. Vinylfindco

it was defective to boot! Play it through to be sure!

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

A step down, if you ask me (and you didn't.)

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Well, I guess I missed this boat, seeing the thread was posted in 2009!

Must say the first time I heard Classical on CD, was mind blowing to what I previously heard on LP.

24. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Lllll
    No, you haven't missed the boat. There are still lots of these hybrid-SACDs to be had for very reasonable prices -- $4.79 to $11.99.

The Barnes & Noble classical sale is going now on right now, so for about $5.99 each (even less in a few cases), you can pick up any of 32 different titles in the series, all of them brand new and many offering 3-channel (left, center, right) playback.

Just go to the B&N site, search for "SACD," and then sort by price, lowest to highest.

Galley, Simon A and superstar19 like this.
  25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

And don't wait. My memory of this sale is it goes away without warning near the end of the month. (My payday is the last day of the month - I waited a few years ago & missed out.)