Everything Sucks! - Netflix series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is an absolutely wonderful series. It has some superficial similarities with Stranger Things in that it trades in nostalgia to some extent - the 90s, rather than the 80s, and the narrative centers around (slightly older) kids in high school, with a nice soundtrack.

But there is no supernatural stuff here, just a brilliantly written 'conventional' high school relationship drama. And it really is brilliantly done. Jahi Di'Allo Winston was a revelation and Peyton Kennedy was every bit as good. Terrific performances all around.

It also looks like it's set up for another season, to which I say - bring it on!

Dan C and Gibson67 like this.
  2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I just finished the season. It hits all the right nostalgic spots for me, because I was a sophomore in high school the year the show is set.

DHamilton likes this.
  3. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

I just felt like it was something we've seen before. 5/10

4. Watched the first three. It’s touching but so far it’s not very good. Horrible writing and the young actors may be just settling in. Just my own opinion

Can’t help comparing to Freaks and Geeks which is way beyond this.

Bad writing and direction. Timing is off.

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It looks really meh. I’m going to pass.

6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Netflix what ever you throw at us well make it into show..
    even a tv show on tv guide collectors..

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm with you on this one!

enjoying it, but it's pretty thin.

8. Well I got through it and did enjoy it a bit more. It has some very innocent and touching moments of coming 0f age but in the end I felt it didn’t quite work.

Something was off. Timing acting direction dialogue; not totally sure what.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

a little too "on the nose" i think. but a lot is so spot on. i just wish the dialogue didn't feel so jam-packed with every ounce of nostalgia possible. it gets a little much.

Mazzy likes this.
  10. Deesky

Well, in that regard it's similar to Stranger Things, so if you didn't like ST because of the heightened nostalgia factor, then I guess this similarly wouldn't work for you. For me, it's part of the charm of the show.

No, the show is hardly perfect, but I really enjoyed the overall feel-good vibe and in particular the two outstanding leads. I was emotionally invested in Peyton Kennedy's character and journey, which was the highlight of the series for me (rather than the Porky's style caricatures that were Luke's sidekick friends).

11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you're totally right. i might be overly sensitive to the nonstop (what i feel like are) references to everything and anything, but i'm sticking around and will finish!

Deesky likes this.
  12. I really loved Stranger things but felt this is nowhere near it. The lacing was strange. Things happened either too slow or some situations too fast.

The shows title made me expect something off beat like Freaks Geeks. Wrong title for this show

13. Deesky

Yes, perhaps a little misleading, but I can see how it applies to the would-be romantic relationship that Luke wants to pursue with Kate and the actual reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.