Expanded Procol Harum reissues (2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sharedon, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

If you're willing to listen to alternate takes, of course the entire album is available in stereo except for A Christmas Camel and Good Captain Clack.

Fred68 likes this.
  2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

So this is what I have for personnel around the time of the first album.

WSOP - Eydell and Royer single version and alternate stereo version (take 3 and take 2 respectively)
    WSOP - Harrison and Royer subsequent takes unreleased presumed lost/erased
    Lime Street Blues, Homburg, Good Captain Clack, Mabel - Harrison and Royer
    Early versions of some of the other tracks from first album - Harrison and Royer, unreleased/lost/erased
    Procol Harum S/T, Wee Small Hours of Sixpence (recorded concurrently) - Wilson and Trower

3. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I'm not sure which take # it is but the Pandora's Box CD had a subsequent stereo take (recorded the next day) with Harrison on drums.

I'm not aware of any other versions (stereo or mono) with Eyden (not Eydell).

http://www.procolharum.com/eyden2.htm

There are a few BBC tracks from June '67 with Harrison (AWSOP, Morning Dew).

4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I presumed the stereo take was Eydell because the Westside notes say the stereo version is take 2 ( the take is announced on the track) and that the released version was presumably take 3. But if it was recorded the day after then this is take 2 of a completely different recording session.

5. Logan S

Logan S Forum Resident

Just like to bump this up as the date gets close, and say that I'm super-psyched for this. I've wanted to get into PH for some time, but the old editions of their albums are prohibitively expensive! The only CD I've got of theirs is the MFSL Salty Dog, which I acquired through a stroke of extreme luck. Hopefully now, I"ll be able to grab a decent-sounding copy of the debut. It doesn't seem like these guys have been using much compression or NR on their recent releases, which is a great sign.

Classicolin likes this.
  6. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I have these on order also. Unfortunately, I have a strong feeling that I will be disappointed that the first album will be running slightly fast compared to the versions I am used to. the same tapes that Salvo used are the source.

There is confirmation that they understand the issues involved with the Salvo release of Shine on Brightly. However, it would seem that there is not universal agreement that the first version runs fast on Salvo for the S/T first album. To me it is hard to miss but I now gather this is not a universal opinion.

These are being ordered more for the sake of being a completist as most of the BBC tracks have circulated widely in the past.

7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

How can there be controversy over whether the Salvo runs fast on the first album? can't you just look at the running times of each track compared to the earlier Westside release?

8. I hope these surprise us.

qtrules likes this.
  9. originalsnuffy

I really hope they get the first album right. anyway both are on order. I have a problem with procol albums. Need to join procol and kind of blue anonymous

haastilecreation likes this.
  10. originalsnuffy

Anybody else get a notice from Amazon saying the first album is delayed until Early or mid July ?

11. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I bought this box of the "first four" Procol Harum albums a few years back. I absolutely love it, but have nothing to compare it to. I did have a copy of the Edmonton Symphony Live lp when I was a kid. Wish I still had it! This cheap (but awesome) box-set still had the ability to turn me into a fan. I think Procol Harum is perhaps one of the most literate, interesting and sophisticated bands of all time. They're certainly underrated in my opinion.

[​IMG]

My two questions: Should I try to get better mastered versions of the first four?

Also, I want all of Procol Harum's 70's output but I've been waiting because a lot of them have been out of print. Should I get these new remasters/versions?

I truly love this band and will pick up any good vinyl copies as well. :)

PGB likes this.
  12. originalsnuffy

I would invest in Edmonton , broken barricades, grand hotel, and exotic birds before buying the same four remastered.

13. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Yes, I did too. As a result, they shipped Ten Years After's "Stonedhenge", which was part of the same order (along with "Shine on Brightly") separately. I also have A Salty Dog and Home on order and those two are supposed to be released at the end of July. So I wouldn't really care if they waited and shipped all 4 together.

14. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Very true!

The main reason to re-buy the first 4 albums (other than if you have a too-fast Salvo Shine on Brightly) is to get the bonus tracks. Technically A Whiter Shade of Pale and Homburg are bonus tracks since they weren't on the original UK version of the first album. Does your CD of the album have them?

I think they recently released the later albums (not the first four) on colored vinyl. I think someone previously posted photos of his set in this thread.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  15. Dok

Dok Senior Member

PGB likes this.
  16. Cool thanks. Missed that.

17. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

The packaging on each of the sets is very nice. Each has a booklet and replicate poster for the album and in addition, "Shine on Brightly" includes (3) concert poster post cards. I plan on intense listening over the long weekend ahead.

18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Looking forward to reviews of the sound/mastering of these titles. Hoping hard not to be disappointed.

19. giantleech

Glad to hear this.

20. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

I am also looking forward to your reviews of the sound/mastering.
    Hope you will share your view.

21. giantleech

No! We want sound reviews now! :mad:

Patience isn't exactly one of my closely followed virtues. :D

22. originalsnuffy

My shine on brightly shipped but will not arrive until mid July. UK to us via slow boat

23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Somebody posted on the Procol Harum Facebook page that he received his copy of Shine on Brightly and says it's very good, correct speed and everything.

24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

But can we take someone on the PH facebook page's word that it sounds very good at face value? Is he as concerned (or obsessed some might say) with compression/noise reduction/dynamic range as we are?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.