Experiencing a £100k sound system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vern, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Well, he claimed the room is not optimum. I wonder how did he come up with such expert opinion then?

I would guess those people who spent 1.2 million pounds to renovate the venue would at least care a bit about room acoustic, don't you think?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Me, I’d rather spend 80,000 on designing and building a perfect listening room and 20,000 on the gear. The room is the most critical, and most overlooked part of the “system.”

3. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Here is a picture of John Peel Centre. See those white things on the wall? Yeah, I guess someone thought about room treatment....

[​IMG]

wgriel, PATB, Efus and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Enough threads here to learn what the OP actually cares about rather than a bunch of needless off topic posts. Funny to think that people who were not there, feel the need to make it sound better. I am sure some thought went into the presentation. Sorry, but I still think many of the comments are completely tone deaf, and so off topic and self serving. The first poop post started less than six minutes after the OP! If YOU think that is a good thing...

pdxway and Efus like this.
  5. Hymie the Robot

Don't let facts get in the way of agendas!

Efus and pdxway like this.
  6. Hymie the Robot

What do you think of the album?

7. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

I for Christ's saks
    For Christ's sake man,give it a rest!

8. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Well, "useful or interesting" is dependent to the bias and predisposition to the person hearing what I've said. I'm saying to have fun in enjoying a high end system rather than debating the minutia of what you wish to criticize about said system. As such, I am of the opinion that your approach and response to the listening experience described in the OP is misguided. Take this system as an instance of high end audio - nothing more, nothing less. It was not about the gear, it was about the listening. With any luck, some that heard it might become audiophiles themselves.

No. Your conclusion is incorrect. Discuss how you wanna discuss. I'll sort through the conversation for what I wanna take outta it from the people I find interesting. I'd welcome and encourage you to do the same. If you don't find my contributions "meaningful" then that's fine with me. Really, no snark. It's a big world. I don't have to pay attention to you anymore than you have to pay attention to me. I'm OK with that. But we are here with a common interest in good gear/good music so there is more that brings us together than divides us. C'mon, that's gotta be worth something.

I cannot discern an overriding point you are trying to make other than you're gonna say what you wanna say. If I want advice from you, I'll ask for it.

Good grief, how do you know the expense for that system was overkill if you didn't hear it?

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Mac gear. Big surprise!

Gotta love the OP's reaction!

10. Hymie the Robot

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  11. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Zen,
    While I'm not unsympathetic to your point, the fact is that "a perfect listening room" for 80,000 cannot be had in the great majority of places that people call home. I work in the construction industry and home remodeling and there are simply too many limitations, mostly related to square footage, ceiling height, existing dimensions, and so on. 80k is a pittance when it comes to pursuing those kinds of spaces when having to retrofit (and/or add on to, which is the case 99% of the time) onto existing domiciles.

I do agree that room acoustics will pay greater dividends than spending money on gear beyond some level of expenditure but the money required for "acoustical perfection" is not something to be taken lightly.

pdxway likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yes, the exchange of ideas is a great thing. You're getting yourself worked over something unbelievably trivial.

It is mightily ironic that you'd like to have the ability to continue posting your opinion while you state I should not have the ability to share mine.

Let that sink in...

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  13. Hymie the Robot

Funny. If my simple opinion confuses you, that is on you.

14. Strat-Mangler

That settles it, then. No way the sound will change depending on where I'd be in the room.

And having the speakers so the tweeter is about 5' higher than the audiences ears is probably a secret ingredient in getting optimal sound.

And let's not even get into toe-in and off-axis listening.

15. Strat-Mangler

No confusion on my part. The part of my message where I spelled out the rich irony clearly went over your head.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Rich irony. Funny stuff. Got anything that is on topic?

What do you think of the album at hand!

pdxway likes this.
  17. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

First of all, based on OP's pictures, he is sitting at very near the sweet spot of middle of speakers, not too close and not too far away.

Second, where do you think the tweeters would be if a live band is actually performing on stage?

Please, enlighten us with your magic touch. What can the venue do better in term of acoustic? Where should the speakers locate? How far away should the OP sits?

RockAddict and Hymie the Robot like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

You're right. Funny that you still don't get it.

The thread is about the system and the experience of listening to an expensive system; not about an album. I welcome you to take your own advice and post something on that topic.

19. Strat-Mangler

It's not about listening to a live band but about hearing a system reproduction of what is material which was carefully recorded, mixed, and mastered. If you don't think there's a big difference between what a rock band sounds live versus what their studio albums will sound like through a great stereo, I don't know what to tell you...

20. Hymie the Robot

Didn't realize who was the original poop poster that set the tone of this thread...disguised as educational!

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Indubitably, sir.

22. Strat-Mangler

Reread the irony I wrote about you. It gets funnier each time you post more of that nonsense. Don't like it? Put me on ignore or just scroll past my post. Not difficult for most but there are clearly exceptions.

23. Hymie the Robot

If you can read past the thread title, you might learn that the album, Daydream Nation is now thirty years old. If that isn't part of the topic at hand, and the fact that Thurston Moore was there at the listening event, then well, I don't know what to tell you. Talk about thread derailment!

24. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Again, act like you know all before checking out the facts more carefully. :tsk:

Check the vertical responses of speakers here:
    Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 Diamond loudspeaker Measurements

Check figure 4.

The response is just fine for the degree of vertical off axis, which should no more than 30 degrees based on OP's pictures. Within the 30 degrees window, there is nothing to worry about.

25. Hymie the Robot

To be fair, the tiny little speakers that the person you quoted rocks, sound better at ear level. ;)

pdxway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.