Fabric softener on my drying towel...problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thesisinbold, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have some dye and fragrance-free fabric softener that washed my record drying towel with.

Is that a problem as far as leaving residue behind? there is no visible film or residue left on the records after drying, but you know how it is, I just want to make sure.

thanks

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Never use fabric softener on towels. It takes away their ability to absorb water.

thesisinbold likes this.
  3. ScottInDallas

ScottInDallas Forum Resident

Yes, it will still leave residue behind. Personally, I'd avoid using dryer sheets when washing a drying towel.

thesisinbold likes this.
  4. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a not a sheet but a liquid that goes in with the detergents

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Fabric softener (liquid) does leave a residue. It's why I never use it on towels. I also don't use dryer sheets either for the same reason.

You can get rid of the residue pretty easily. Running the towel through another wash will probably due the trick but you can help the removal along with vinegar and or backing powder.

thesisinbold likes this.
  6. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

Fabric softener on towels is not what you want. This is how you fluff towels in the dryer:

[​IMG]

thesisinbold likes this.
  7. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

On several occasions recently I've used microfibers, that had been washed and dried in loads with dryer sheets, to dry records. No residue, no lack of water absorbency, no issues, no problems. I'm slowly drifting away from obsessive and neurotic methods with my LPs and I don't hear any difference in the way they sound. When I buy used records now, assuming they don't look horrible, I rinse them in the sink in tap water and wipe them dry with microfibers. That's it. No differences in sound, appearance, residue on styli, I'm less convinced than ever that LP playback requires all of the weirdness and OCD-esque rituals engaged in by listeners.

qwerty, showtaper, arisinwind and 2 others like this.
  8. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

9. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

You are a brave man. Close your windows and pull the drapes or curtains. The angry mob will be here soon...... :D

(BTW: I happen to agree with you.)

H8SLKC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.