Fallen into a rabbit hole - help me out

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BlackStrat_Fan, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Are sensitivity figures subjective ? Because to my ears nothing under 95 is sensitive enough. And I run 80wpc + a 250w sub !!

So is there a consensus, as in 86-90 low sensitivity, etc ?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hmmm.... You've tried the Paradigms with the Marantz, and it "sounded great, and loud." So you know that combination works well together. Just as a thought, have you considered moving the Paradigms to the system you contemplate downstairs and replacing them (with another pair of the same, or different) in your "main" system?

[Edit]

Oops--should have read on to the end of the thread instead of shooting from the hip. Congrats, and enjoy!

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

He is a salesman, that much is clear.

That he works in Magnolia audio, it is also clear that he is highly unlikely to have much audio education.

4. SandAndGlass

I usually think of sensitivity starting at 90-dB, which I consider to be about the sensitivity of an average tower speaker, plus or minus a couple of dB.

I think of highly efficient speakers as they near 100-dB sensitivity.

I tend to accept bookshelf speakers with sensitivity of around 86-87 dB.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Sensitivity is not subjective, it is a clearly defined measurement:

Loudspeaker Sensitivity & Impedance Explained

From your posts outside this thread I get the impression that you like your music rather loud
    and bass heavy......

(not criticizing, just making an observation)

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Maybe what Waxfreak is experiencing is the ear's sensitivity to frequencies at different levels (fletcher munson loudness curves).

7. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man! Thread Starter

I'm pretty clueless about the technical stuff, which is why I started this thread. So after combing the internet and reading the same threads over and over I basically came to the same conclusion as your quote, and made that my parameter. I'm happy to report that the speakers I did go with eventually sound just fine, and during my initial test was asked to turn it down. Mission accomplished!

8. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man! Thread Starter

Here they are being test fitted to some stands I built for them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Archguy, johnnypaddock, Bhob and 4 others like this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I just got a Marantz 2225, but remember this is true 25 watts, unlike todays receivers that are like 200 watts, and aren't that much louder (Or better) for that matter. I probably would have preferred a little more power, but it's not that necessary cause I got efficient speakers (90 dB).

Enjoy.....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

P.S. You could always run a 2nd set of speakers off of the Marantz, or a Sub!

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Try Audio Note. Will go very loud with 20 watts but aren't cheap. For used look out for the old Snell models upon which Audio Note are based.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Can you tell me what true 25 watts is against any other 25 watts? The only difference in these ratings is if its quoted into 4 or 8 ohms. 200 watts may not sound much louder ( at least both 25 and 200 may go loud enough to burst your ears drums) but will have more grip and control over your speakers. A correctly specified powerful amp will feel more powerful. There may be cheap amps still around that are falsely specified or sound bad due to poor components and power supplies.

13. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I just picked up a pair of RB-81 Reference II's off of Amazon and I really like them. I'm powering them with an Eico HF-81 integrated tube amp with 14 WPC. The combination is very musical and dynamic. I'd love to upgrade to a pair of new Cornwalls someday. Just need the cash and the space.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Has anyone listened to the new Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-600M (96dB)? Similar to the OP, I'm looking for efficient bookshelvers for a 25 watt amp (DIY FirstWatt F5). This is for a second system where both space (need a small footprint) and budget (sub-$700) are tight. I've also been taking a hard look at the Tekton Mini-Lore Monitors (94.5 dB) and Omega Super 3i (95 dB).

bhazen likes this.
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If it is in a small space, you don't need very efficient speakers. Besides, most uberefficient designs I have heard sound like crap to my ears. I'd just go and listen to some speakers and buy a set that you like the sound of and which fit your space. power will not likely be an issue.
    -Bill

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice! I’ll widen the search.

17. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I also always wanted a Marantz and ran across a 2220b for a decent price and jumped on it. Then I discovered two things, 1. 20w is 20w and after living with a lot more than that for decades, it was never gonna work, and 2. Vintage is nice fro nostalgia, but I’ll stick with my modern gear, the sonic benefits are a nostalgic myth, and the convenience of modern gear trumps the coolness of vintage.

All tat said, yes Klipsch is your friend!

bluesaddict likes this.
  18. SandAndGlass

This is 22-Watts, new manufacture.

[​IMG]

I say, why not both!

These are vintage and you can't believe what 22-Watts can do with the right vintage speakers!

[​IMG]

:)

ossidian and BayouTiger like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Marantz 2200 series was a great series! I own a 2235b but I have recently have come into terrible problems! all outputs are now been shooting 120 volt AC current! no idea why?

20. SandAndGlass

That doesn't sound good?

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no, after multiple shocks I stopped using it finally my son found the AC problem......no idea where to bring it for repair?! such a fabulous receiver!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Please keep in mind that it is not sensitivity or efficiency that you might pay attention to. Try to look at the impedance curve of the speaker. Likely you want to try for a fairly flat curve without any very low troughs.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

The impedance curve is even more important when using tube amplification, as opposed to SS.

This is a custom AP12-500 crossover from ALK Engineering, it is designed as an upgrade for use in legacy Klipsch speakers. I use it on the A7's, which are crossed over at 500-Hz. A strong advantage to this crossover, other than quality, is that is maintains a constant 8-Ohm impedance back to the amp at all frequencies.

It is a very key element to achieving the sound quality that I am able to with these speakers.

[​IMG]

ossidian and beowulf like this.
  24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sure; it does ¨drive¨ them, but how loud ? And what are your listening room dimensions ?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Immediately when you hear "high efficiency" everyone starts shouting "Klipsch." But what if you don't like the way Klipsch sound?

bhazen, BayouTiger and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.