Famous Drumsets!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blastproof, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

One of the kits that Benny, Pistol, and Uriel made history on:

[​IMG]

And one of Hal Blaine's early kits, used on numerous 60s recordings:

[​IMG]

sound chaser likes this.
  2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Naaah :shake:, got to be his Ludwig set with those small toms, which he carried over to Paice Ashton Lord. (top DP MKIV, bottom PAL)

Attached Files:

3. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Stewart Copland- The Police (and if the picture doesn't suit you too bad)

Attached Files:

5. roodrood

roodrood Forum Resident

I love all of Keith Moon's kits he used in the seventies, especially the white kit he used on the 1975-76 tours. Bill Ward from Black Sabbath had a nice kit in the late seventies. Carl Palmer's kits from the early to late seventies were also nice looking kits. Especially the stainless steel setup he used from 1973-78. Neal Smith from the Alice Cooper band had one of the first large drum kits, but I don't think he actually used all of his drums. Ian Paice had nice kits also, as well as Stewart Copeland and Ginger Baker. I have hundreds of unreleased photos and images of these as well as many other drummers if anybody in interested. Send me an email at [email protected] and I will send a few samples of each drummer is anybody wants any pictures. I have many unreleased photos of Keith Moon, Bill Ward, Carl Palmer and other drummers I took photos of, so if anybody has any good images of these guys, let me know.

6. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Here the links to a couple of auctions recently held on Ebay UK for drums belonging to The La's, the most famous of the two being the iconic 26" inch bass drum which graced numerous picture sleeves and promo materials:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Las-Marching-...ents_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item230a4b8b11

The second is for the Ludwig drumset which Lee Mavers' brother Neil used during the infamous Lillywhite recording sessions, which yielded their classic S/T album:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=150494544564

Attached Files:

7. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

He had it made in stainless steel
    It weighed 2 tons....
    Needed a special reinforced raiser and truck.....:angel:

8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

9. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

agreed - gimme a street drummer anyday

10. Dalton Powell's drum kit.. no further explanation necessary.

[​IMG]

11. DMortensen

DMortensen Forum Resident

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, if an apology is appropriate, but I found this while looking up info about Gene Palma (that's how it's spelled everywhere else), after watching this video about Times Square in the late 70's

Around 4:53 there's this drummer that I remember seeing a few times in Times Square in the late 70's or in the 80's. His schtick was the same time each time I saw him: he would do all this fantastic drumming, calling out what he was playing or how he was playing it or who originally played it like that. This would go on for a few minutes, then he would go into a really fast sequence of rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat etc. etc. and bend his head down over the drum and go on indefinitely like that, just blasting away. It seemed like he forgot the intricacies of playing and got caught up in the speed and sound of the drum. It was odd because every time I saw him was like that, and his looks were so strikingly odd. I hadn't thought about him in years until seeing this video tonight. Apparently what I described of his drumming was not his only thing, though, since other people didn't mention it.

Cool that you saw him and know about his technique. I'm not a drummer at all, so my comments about his schtick should be taken with a grain of salt. I defer to you and anyone else about his real abilities.

In the comments for the video, people named him and gave a link to a blog article that talks a little about him as a result of his Taxi Driver appearance, and the comments to that article over a few years provided some links to articles and mentions of him. A Google search got more, and brought me to this thread where there's pictures and more information! Here are some links:

Blog article: https://twentyfourframes.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/gene-palma-street-musician-from-taxi-driver/

Someone in the comments thinks Gene died in 2005. A commenter on this Youtube excerpt from Taxi Driver with Gene says it, too, and provides a little more detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOsg-Cf30BQ

Commenter bagonhithejoker:
    "Gene died back in 2005. He was living in Chelsea in a group home on 8th avenue around 17th street or so. I would see him almost every day for about 8 years from 95 on. I got a chance to sit down and talk with him in 2002 in a coffee shop on 9th ave. Sweet old guy."

Book excerpt linked in twentyfourframes blog. Starting on p. 85 about other drummers and going to Gene p.86:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=geiY78Jel4MC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq="gene palma" drummer life story&source=bl&ots=kf9Bwa-KEB&sig=kv32JXeJPx82ts0qxzo_4HEdims&hl=en&sa=X&ei=aWdEVLCUAub2iQLSzYH4BA&ved=0CFUQ6AEwDA#v=onepage&q="gene palma" drummer life story&f=false

Article from the Lakeland Ledger, Feb. 10, 1981 about him: http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...tMvAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KfsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6965,3562874

Geez, there's mention and picture of him in Glenn Berger's excellent blog memoirs about his days becoming an engineer at A&R Studios (the former CBS Records Studio A) in NYC: http://www.glennberger.net/2013/05/04/the-schlepper/

Glenn's series is a killer read for people interested in that time and place.

That's all I could find about Gene.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  12. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

first time I saw Neil Pert's set up I thought it was a joke

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Jethro Tull's Clive Bunker (from 1967 to 1971) once told of a drum battle of sorts he had won, over some biggies, on his tiny one-tom kit from their early days - perhaps the one seen inside the "This Was" album cover. And he is quite a drummer indeed!

But I don't necessarily equate over-the-top kits with lack of talent. I am not familiar with a lot of those guys, but if they exploit the maximum out of that "vocabulary", with well tuned drums, etc., I suppose it's made to serve the music.

14. I suppose a lot of kids did things like that back in those days. But when I was about 13, in '70 or '71, I thought Ringo's kit (Ludwig Hollywood?) in the photos from the "Let It Be" book was just so gorgeous, that I soon proceeded to fix and set up cardboard boxes (wooden shell effect!) and pots around a seat, and to suspend various pots' covers from the ceiling, in order to replicate Ringo's tools the best I could, and try to drum along the records with a pair of inverted ladles... ...Down of course to the dish towels over the "skins" - I had no idea what those were for, but that was an easy way around the house to "play Ringo"!

Too bad Grandma and Grandpa lived just downstairs from our dwelling and I soon had to dismantle that "kit"...

15. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

This was my first thought. That massive array of percussion instruments that surrounded CP was not just a functional percussion display, it was also a work of art.

16. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

That picture makes my back hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.