Famous musicians involved with soundtracks for now forgotten / obscure movies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mknappe, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

That's true, but "One from the Heart" was a big flop, wasn't it? It might qualify here.

phillyal1 likes this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

of course one that's not popular in OZ - the jazz singer - Neil Diamond stars and does soundtrack
    paint your wagon - lee marvin and clint eastwood sing.
    the great Rick Nelson & Walter Brennon & Dino in 'Rio Bravo'
    Mike & Bruce from the Beach Boys cameo in 'sidewalk surfin', the movie about Jan & Dean, not on DVD.
    Trisha Yearwood frequent appearances in 'JAG' (series), no tunes thou.
    George Strait 'Pure Country'..... (not obscure, I know)
    Hank Jr - A Time To Sing
    Waylon Jennings - Nashville Rebel (b grade movie)

RickB

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

A rather big, famous flop (in the style of Heaven's Gate a few years earlier) that was widely commented and has been reevaluated as a misunderstood gem these last few years. Not a forgotten, obscure film at all whatever its box-office standing, especially given it was released after The Godfather 2 and Apocalypse Now.

4. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I've seen Blue Collar (1978) called "relatively obscure", so that might count. Its main title tune Hard Workin' Man was performed by Captain Beefheart, who's not exactly a soundtrack staple.

phillyal1 likes this.
  5. wolfram

I might be wrong then, but I've never again heard it being mentioned after its initial "failure" or seen it appear on TV regulary. Maybe it's just me, though.

6. Neil Young did the score for the Johnny Depp western "Dead Man". In his review, Roger Ebert described it as sounding "like a man repeatedly dropping his electric guitar on the floor".

Hammerpeg, mmars982 and ARK like this.
  7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I wouldn't know about TV replays (and would doubt that makes a valid idea of a movie's standing) but One from the Heart's had a recent blu-ray release (as have other "underrated" Coppola films like The Outsiders). And it's been talked about continuously by people who talk about Coppola, and not just The Godfather.

8. Isn't Flash Gordon, Savior Of The Universe sort of an obscure movie except among Queen fans?

9. wolfram

Ok, a Blu-ray release indicates some continuous interest. So it looks like I was wrong.

10. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Was scored by Ry Cooder and Jack Nitzsche.

11. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I have both movies on Blu-ray, and both soundtracks on vinyl.:righton:

[​IMG] For the soundtrack to his motion-picture directing debut, John Mellencamp brought together such artists as Dwight Yoakam, John Prine, Nanci Griffith. For a record of country, folk, and rock, it's as expansive and rich as his better albums -- Scarecrow, The Lonesome Jubilee, and Big Daddy.

Jarleboy and GodShifter like this.
  12. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I was going to exclaim some surprise at Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man being claimed a forgotten obscurity when I saw a previous poster mention John Hawks' celebrated classic Rio Bravo. And now, all I can think to say is LOL. Sure sign I need to leave this thread alone.

13. Brian_Mogul

Brian_Mogul Cavendish Ave Enthusiast

What about Aloha Bobby & Rose ... Lots of Elton John circa 74

Linus and hi_watt like this.
  14. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Bobby Womack. Sure he did Across 110th street but did anyone else know he also did the soundtrack to "Joe" ? A strange Peter Boyle film that came out around 1970. I didn't know till a couple of weeks ago I ran across a copy for 2.99 NM. Ive gotten so much lately haven't spun it yet but it's turn is coming soon.

15. If "Dead Man" isn't forgotten, it probably should be.

16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Thank you! I've been waiting quite a few years to see that - or even know that the film was actually made!

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Also, he did the soundtrack to Mike's Murder

18. seltaeb#9

seltaeb#9 New Member

for the film "tell me you love me ,junie moon",pete seeger sings "old devil time" while strumming a guitar and walking thru a redwood forest

Folknik likes this.
  19. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I'm not sure that American audiences & European audiences have the same experiences with some of these films.

20. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Chuck Mangione received a Grammy,A&M gave it the "deluxe" double LP package for Chldren of Sanchez,and it is avaialble on DVD,but I'll be damned if I ever saw this playing,even at art houses in Philly,a big movie town.Zero,count 'em Zero critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes,it carries a 64% postive audience score but,once again, no reviews.While the soundtrack made its way into cutout bins,I suspect the LP fared bit better than the film.

21. xios

xios Senior Member

Danny O'Keefe sings the title song for a made for tv movie called "Adam At 6am".

22. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

A good film from 1983 that starred the always wonderful Debra Winger that yielded this gem of a Joe Jackson song

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    cdash99 and Former Scientist like this.
  23. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Does Duke Ellington's score for Anatomy of a Murder count?
    He's in the movie too.

24. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

Heck! Mr. Reed even "acted" in said film! Also, check out Bobby Sherman in the clip

geo50000 likes this.
  25. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I think it's more people not looking at the OP as carefully as they should. They get the first few words and say "Ooh! I know one!".

Happens all the time here - whatever the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.