Fantastic New Budget DAC: The Marantz HD DAC1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

Thanks for bringing it over today econalan!

Fantastic audition...enough for me to understand how musical this piece is. The Dac falls on the warmer, creamier and fuller side of the spectrum. I felt the treble extension was great, just a different presentation of the "air" one seeks in audio. Could almost swear it is a tubed, transformer coupled output stage based on the tone. It hits all the musicality buttons correctly.

I can't believe this much musicality be had in the digital world for this level of price commitment!
    I might need to pick one up for the system downstairs and bring the Chord QBD76HDSD back into the main rig. I COULD be swayed for a silver one possibly :shh:

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well..at least I know my ears are not fooling me....since a good number of folks who heard the HD-DAC1 have liked it...!

If not for the fact I have 3 very nice DACs in the house along with two fine desktop units I would buy the sample.

ellingtonic likes this.
  3. tricka

tricka Member

Excellent. Right up my alley. Looking forward to my unit's arrival.

ellingtonic and shaizada like this.
  4. Kingston12

Kingston12 Forum Resident

Could anyone comment on how this compares to the Denon DA 300USB?

I recently picked up the Denon as it is reduced to £170 in the UK. The Marantz is a lot more money at £680. Is it that much better, a completely different class as the price would suggest?

5. ServingTheMusic

I like the Marantz better personally. Not in a completely different class, but more refined.

6. Kingston12

Kingston12 Forum Resident

Thanks. In that case, I think I will stick with the Denon for now (not set up yet), as it seems a great purchase at that price. I may investigate the Marantz in the future.

7. Free DSD (and HD video) files from David Elias here:

https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

:)

8. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

9. ServingTheMusic

10. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Halloween_Jack and tricka like this.
  11. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

The link to the french review with measurements is below - you need to click on the 3rd section. It certainly appears to indicate a roll-off on their unit. Everything else scores excellent in its measured performance. I can't help but suspect they may have had a rogue sample perhaps. Mine sounds slightly on the sweet side, but not rolled off. Frustratingly I can find no other measured performance reviews elsewhere on the net. The HD-DAC1 seems to have flown under the radar of many mags & review sites which is rather surprising/disappointing.

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans.../tests/381-Marantz-HD-DAC1-0.html&prev=search

12. ServingTheMusic

Yes, either a rogue unit, or their measurements are suspect. I guess we have to wait for Sphile to measure it.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  13. StylinLP38

StylinLP38 New Member

Im looking at the Marantz HD-DAC1 and i cant see anywhere that tells me which DAC it uses....Thats rather important I would think. Anyone know?

14. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

That doesn't tell you as much as you think it does... unless you know and understand about the implementation and how it is coupled with the other components of the unit.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  15. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

It is reported as being the Cirrus Logic CS4398

16. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

17. StylinLP38

StylinLP38 New Member

Well..I may not know how the Cirrus Logic CS4398 is implemented or much about that DAC chip. But one thing I do know. Its not one of the chips glorified by the press and used in higher end DACs....so I dont know if this is a better choice vs others.

18. ServingTheMusic

Use the glory of your ears..forget the spec sheet, the press, and others.

19. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

If it does the job extremely well, does it matter how old the chip is really? This is engineering not magic, though due to our capitalist world the industry constantly needs to sell us on the notion of new=better or it would all collapse.
    The CS4398 is a superb DAC, alwas was, always will be, and Marantz had a hand in its design. They know all the 'tricks' in how to get the best from it. Something to bare in mind.

And what do the press really know about it? In the main they're driven by market pressure & advertising space sold to manufacturers. They have to keep peddling the new=better mantra too. Look at the vinyl revival and those using NOS TDA1541 based DACs - 'old' but still perfectly capable... I'd trust your ears and past a certain point, forget the specs ;)

20. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

Soo, So, old fashioned. I could die happy and never see another RCA input. XLR, 1/4 phone, or anything but RCA.

21. ServingTheMusic

22. ServingTheMusic

23. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Thanks for the review.

24. ServingTheMusic

Welcome.

25. tricka

tricka Member

Nice review Andre; easy read with balance and no hyperbole. Well done.

Can't wait for mine - which has now been shipped from Japan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.