Fantastic New Budget DAC: The Marantz HD DAC1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

A CD player that requires an external DAC is flawed in my opinion, unless it is designed as a transport. And quite frankly belongs in the scrap heap.

2. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I said nothing about requiring, I said I have a use for it. It's not required, it's preference. I'm new here, but I'm learning the members. Thanks for your input and opinion, it helps me figure out who's who. ;)

MarkO likes this.
  3. ServingTheMusic

Cool.:cool::cool: Welcome.

4. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

gloomrider and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Andre I use my Emotiva's Dac for my budget cd player, The DC-1 is acting as a pre-amp in my system, so the options it had with it's price point fit my needs +analog for my phono-pre, my Onkyo was a energy hog, with so many options out there I'm glad your taking the time doing reviews :cheers:

6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

No problem, I could never really tell the difference from DSD->HDMI->Onkyo which could decode it and PCM, so it was really no big deal, The DC-1 picks it up at 88 so all is well for me :)

7. ServingTheMusic

Understood..your situation is a bit unique as the Emotiva is also a preamp.

c-eling likes this.
  8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

So everything evolves & progresses except the isolation?

9. ServingTheMusic

To broad a statement.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

A really nice looking unit!

11. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Yeah, I buy a headphone amp I want analog inputs. I know, is it a headphone amp or a DAC? You can plug your headphones into it, that makes it an amp.

12. It does look nice, but $799 is not a "budget" product in any sense of the word.

I'd call the $149 Audioquest Dragonfly a "budget" DAC.

Calling $799 units "budget" shows how out-of-touch this hobby is to the mainstream. If we want to attract more younger people to hi-fi, calling a $799 DAC a "budget" product is going to scare the crap out of them!!! I guess it's not the hi-fi press' job to attract younger people to the industry, but IMHO they should not be doing something that will actually dissuade newbies from it!

Vinyl_Blues and MarkO like this.
  13. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I mostly agree. But I'm thinking most "audiophile's" definition of "budget" is < $1,000

14. Well, I consider myself an audiophile and my idea of a "budget" device tops out at around $299. Anything above that is "moderately expensive." And yes, I have plenty of gear that is over $1k.

Vinyl_Blues and No Static like this.
  15. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

That is pretty much what I feel as well. A component under a grand would be budget components and an area where I would love to get most bang for the buck.

16. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Absolutely! That's why I used quotes around the word audiophile. Unfortunately, the word "budget" is really subjective.

And regarding my status as an "audiophile", let's just say that I have intense intellectual curiosity but am utterly turned off by examples I've seen of "audiophile lifestyle".

Billy Budapest likes this.
  17. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident

Would you be able to compare it against the Schiit Gungnir? I am really considering the Gungnir but if this Marantz is better... I'm only interested in the USB interface

18. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

So how does it actually sound?

MarkO and Colin M like this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. I'd typically not be looking to buy anything that's classified as "entry level" these days, but I'd got along with this rationale entirely. Anything up to £300 gets your foot in the door. Anything over that is step up territory. Anything over £1000 is off the cards for most folk out there. This is definitely not a "budget" device.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  20. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

It's available for £579 in the UK, it's either the high end of budget or the bottom rung in the middle ground I'd say.

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

So same territory as the Teac DSD DACs. Either way, at nearly £600, that's above entry level still. Seeing as you can land a first gen Dragonfly for about £150...

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

You could hook up a CD player with the digital inputs, correct?

23. ServingTheMusic

The Marantz absolutely runs circles around the dragonfly sonically and feature wise. Like comparing a Smart Car to a Jaguar.

24. ServingTheMusic

Yes, there are Coax, TosLink, and USB inputs.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  25. ServingTheMusic

Sounds fantastic...did a pretty long listening session last night..spacious, clean, and big soundstage.

LeeS and RadioWonder like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.