Fantasy films from the 1980s

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rambler

Rambler Active Member

Surprised no one mentioned maybe the most famous of the genre in that decade, The Princess Bride... Some of my childhood favorites also include The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Time Bandits, The Beastmaster...

junk, Karsten and SMcFarlane like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and you get to see why Bill Maher is a talk show host...:laugh:

3. Michael

yes one of mine as well..I have the DVD it's OK, but not fabulous...

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Another Rutger Hauer favorite of mine! Jennifer Jason Leigh was great in this too (and nude!) If I am not mistaken, I first saw this on HBO soon after its limited release in only the big markets (never released in my neck of the woods.)

5. Michael

I have the DVD...was quite pleased with this...I was expecting less, but it all was top notch!

6. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

The Ice Pirates.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

OP here. I remember seeing bits of many of these fantasy films in the 1980s, on cable. But mainly I am watching them as if for the first time now. I think Legend, The Dark Crystal and The NeverEnding Story are visually beautiful, even compared to the CGI movies we watch today. A lot of imagination and craft went into the look and style of these films.

However, the stories come across as overly simplistic, and characters are clearly good or clearly evil. There are specific scenes and individual characters that are memorable, but none of these films feel epic. These are not films that I think I'd get excited about watching again to pick up more depth and discover things I missed before.

I do not know if this is because I am watching them as an adult, versus as a child, or if today we have become more accustomed to sweeping movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Maybe both.

8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

The Sword and The Sorcerer. I haven't seen it since it was released. Imlooked at IMDB and Wikipedia. I wonder if it hold up.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

At least nobody mentioned Howard the Duck:

[​IMG]

For 20 years, this was the example I would always use on why Fantasy usually didn't work well for film...

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Space herpes!!!!

I loved that movie as a kid. Tried to watch it recently. It didn't hold up very well, though it was cool seeing Angelica Huston slumming.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw Neverending Story in HD a few months ago, and I was appalled at how horrendous the bluescreen work was. I seem to recall the whole thing was shot in Germany, and it looks weird as hell. Very strange film, with a very odd structure... the whole thing is just odd from start to finish. And the sequel was a lot worse.

As far as I'm concerned, the first time anybody got a handle on doing huge, complex fantasy stories right was Peter Jackson with Lord of the Rings. I was blown away that he pulled those films off on so many levels: great casting, good writing, structure and logic, beautiful sets, extraordinary photography, and visual effects that set new standards for the industry. Just about flawless films -- despite the story compromises in having to condense about a 50-hour story into maybe 10 hours of films.

The Harry Potter films were extremely well-done, too. But it's clear to me that nobody had a clue as to how to do films like this in the 1980s. I think the genre was damn near dead by the early 1990s, because of all the fantasy bombs that happened during the 1980s.

12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yeah but the technology got cheaper and better so that is why those films look good!

13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I read the book before the movie came out. I remember watching the movie and thinking that they had better hurry up since there was so much more of the story to tell. I was VERY disappointed when the movie ended half-way through the book. I also remember thinking that the book seemed much more serious and fantastic than the movie. The acting was kind of goofy too.

14. I loved The Neverending Story as a kid. Watched it recently and could not make it through. Just, strange. And the "luckdragon"... well, I don't think we can talk about that here...

15. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

There is something about those 80's fantasy films pre-CGI like Legend and The Dark Crystal that have a certain 'humanity' about them and their effects that make them work MORE for me in the fantasy realm than CGI does. It makes the fantasy more 'real' and in an odd way, more believable for me. Sure, I can dismiss the effects with "oh that's just a guy in a suit" in the same way that I can dismiss an effect today with "oh that's just CGI". But there is something about the EFFORT of a guy or girl in a suit...a willingness to 'play' at fantasy that makes it all 'work' more for me than a guy sitting in front of a computer, keyboard and mouse. There is more of a 'reality' to the fantasy.

I remember getting a good chuckle out of it when I bought it on DVD a few years ago. I had not seen it since the 80's. It wasn't Shakespeare but like a lot of the fantasy films from that time, it was fun.

drasil likes this.
  16. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Gilliam's two are my favourites, but Excalibur and Dragonslayer are also really nice. If you want a film with some moral complexity, Turnaround, then Dragonslayer might be what you're looking for.

Karsten likes this.
  17. Rambler

Rambler Active Member

Yep, that's my problem with many modern horror movies as well, CGI creatures and gore just aren't effective or scary at all...

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Ladyhawke

19. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Another vote for The Sword & The Sorcerer, it's so wonderfully cheesy and over-the-top, it's damn near a perfect "so bad it's good" movie.

[​IMG]

20. Michael

Swamp Thing...the recalled DVD of course! boobage!

21. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

A second vote for The Princess Bride ... there's so many memorable lines of dialogue from the film!

junk and SonOfAlerik like this.
  22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I saw "Deathstalker" for the first time not too long ago. I thought it was pretty grim. It is funny though how the makeup moves from one side of Munkar's head to the other, and then back again, about 2/3 of the way through. A rather unexplainable continuity error.

MC Rag likes this.
  23. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

"The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey" is a dark little film from 1988. A group of villagers go on a quest, led by a boy's visions, to prevent the black plague from overrunning their home.

lbangs, Solaris and alexpop like this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

DVD/Blu Ray?

25. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

This is a little different, but it has one of my favorite soundtracks: "Heavy Metal".

junk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.