Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Good God! Now we're on to auto manufacturers and who owns who :sigh:. Next it'll be where some have seen Elvis. Starbucks? Wal-Mart?

2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Well, I can foresee a time after all the new Oppos are gone when "I saw an Oppo for sale" will be right up there with Elvis sightings...

3. Is OPPO still planning on one last production run of the 205?

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That seems to be the word, but I didn't mess around and bought a like-new 205 on ebay last month.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. Reasonably priced?

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

A couple hundred above list price.

7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The Yamaha Aventage BD players are true universal players.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

10. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

tmtomh likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It's odd that Yamaha would not include DVD-A playback in their literature as they did for the BD-A1040. As the Home Theater Hi-Fi article states further in that it played DVD-As but does not say if it was in hi-res. I'm assuming the reviewer was listening to the DVD-A layer and not the DVD-V layer of the tested DVD-A discs. Does anyone on SH have the Yamaha BD-A1060?

12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I agree it’s odd—-if not downright stupid—for them not to list it if it indeed still plays it.

But it would probably also be odd for them to update the model and remove the ability to read something it read before?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree with both of your statements. Is there anyone on SH that has the BD-A1060 and can confirm it plays the Advanced Resolution audio tracks of DVD-As?

14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I don’t see anything about it being discontinued on the US site.

15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Maybe not but being listed on the Australian site as discontinued and not being 4k, I'd say its days are numbered as much, if not more so, than the Oppo's
    Just further evidence that DVD-A is dead.

16. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It’s been two years since the 1060 was released so I would think they are maybe due for an upgrade to a true 4K model.

As far as whether it actually plays DVDA or whether the reviewer was just playing the DVDV layer and didn’t realize it? Good question. Hopefully someone can answer it.

In the meantime I’ll hold on to my 1020 model which plays everything just fine. (Except for one SACD I own where it can’t seem to find the SACD layer for some reason. I have to pull out my cheapy Sony BD player to play that disc)

And I rarely play videos on it anymore anyway as it seems we are streaming everything these days. Although I have a 4K TV, I’m not sure I’d ever actually need a 4K video player.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The beauty of the Oppo 205 is that it justified it's price even if you don't need 4K or even BD. A pretty classy CD player that does SACD and DVDA discs with bonus of streaming files. Only downside is accessing the disc is slow compared to a dedicated CD transport. I don't think there is anything equivalent out there now until another brand is prepared to risk this niche market. Then I expect it would be on a player more in the £2-3K ballpark. I still see Blu Ray and DVD being promoted for films so I don't think the disc market is as dead as some claim by any means. Only DVDA has virtually gone apart from Steve Wilson mixes but there is still a need to support legacy product. It doesn't make sense to remove it if the capability is there in existing chips. Then again even Oppo dropped HDCD.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    tmtomh likes this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

At least $2k-$3k. I don't think we realize how lucky we were to have Oppo come along just as high res formats were introduced.

The writing is on the wall. Amazon is gaining a greater share of this market and they are much less promotional of blu-ray and DVD, and much more promotional of streaming with Amazon Prime. But you're right that optical will be around a long time yet, even when it's totally niche.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Glad i found & bought this forum & bought oppo 203 when i did.

Im about a decade too late into multi channel music.

Bought the sony 800 and wasn't real happy with it as my 12 yr old pioneer avr is no hdmi...
    Went out got the 203 using 5.1 analog
    Also went & got a onkyo 6 disc cdp .

Using my oppo for bluray & sacd dvda
    Using onyko for 2 channel reg cd

No streaming/ file bs at my house.

Next up better speakers & new avr w/ dsd via hdmi....any suggestions?

20. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Yes. I suggest you start a thread about this and not look for answers in this one. :nyah:

I also suggest that you check out this site if you haven't already- the most Surround-focused/knowledgeable site:

QuadraphonicQuad - Surround Polls

You're in for some sweet times... Upgrades and tons of surround goodies to sample. Enjoy the ride!

videoman and Bill Mac like this.
  21. robegian

robegian Well-Known Member

Sony UHP-H1 and UBP-X800 are both true universal players.

22. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I'm still rocking a DV-970HD for SACD/DVD multi-channel and hi-res. I got it used for $10 on craigslist, used it non-stop for some decade or so now. Hope everyone else gets that kind of mileage on the newer ones.

JimW and tmtomh like this.
  23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I bought a DV-970HD new when they first came out, still in my 2 channel system. Don't forget the HDCD feature for those Grateful Dead discs. These players just keep on playing. I have 4 different OPPO's in the house. :edthumbs:

tmtomh likes this.
  24. UBP-x1000ES continues to be listed as a current product on the Sony ES website, so I think the rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated!

tmtomh likes this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Crutchfield has the UBP-x1000ES in stock.

tmtomh likes this.