Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

My invitation to buy was captioned:

OPPO UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray disc player (No Reply)

It included a link that was valid for one week.

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just checked my 205 and the top cover is warm if that after being on all day. If one has the recommended clearances suggested by Oppo then there's really no need for a fan IMO. But I can see why one would want to add additional cooling for piece of mind :).

Guss2 likes this.
  3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

It gets warm on the right side over the dedicated 2 channel dac, which is what I'm using the 205 for.
    Plus it looks cool!
    Beave

4. But we learned that the full week didn’t work for several people who waited.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. So serious?

:p

Bill Mac likes this.
  6. That’s a different company.

7. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

Close! The McIntosh is only $5500 and it starts with the innards of an... Oppo! No multichannel analogue outs though.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The McIntosh MCD600 is in fact $7000. I'd love to hear it and compare it to my 205. I tend to doubt the MCD600 sounds 4x better than the 205 ;). Plus no multichannel, Blu-ray or DVD-A playback. No thanks.

https://www.paragonsns.com/product/mcintosh-mcd600/

chili555 likes this.
  9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Are we sure the McIntosh is based on the Oppo design? I ask because in addition to lacking multichannel capability (which would simply require excluding the multichannel board from the Oppo) and automatically upsampling all PCM input (which could just be a software setting), the McIntosh MCD600 550 don't include an Async USB DAC input, don't list DVD-A support, and apparently are limited to DSD128 for DSD playback. Those limitations would seem to indicate that it might not use the Oppo-Mediatek platform of the 205, yes? The DSD128 limitation could indicate the Oppo 105-generation board, but that still would not explain the omission of DVD-A and Async USB DAC input.

I have no special knowledge, so I could be mistaken here - just seems strange based on the specs.

scobb likes this.
  10. The Beave

Yes. Or McIntosh tweaked the heck out of it to fit their specs. Either way, it's expensive.
    Beave

tmtomh likes this.
  11. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Turns out you are absolutely correct, last shipment is currently slated for September.
    I also wonder what effect this may have on SACD / DVD-A sales. Could it push record companies towards Blu ray for high resolution or 5.1 audio only releases?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    scobb likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent question! I'm not sure if any part of McIntosh CD/SACD players are based on Oppo players. I was just responding to an earlier post where the poster said it was "close" but not $7000.

tmtomh likes this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

14. CoolJazz

CoolJazz Forum Resident

It's a shame they couldn't have thought that big! More good options instead of this narrowing down and lessening of abilities that seems to be the direction that thinges are going.

CJ

kenbefound likes this.
  15. McIntosh is owned by the same parent company as Denon and Marantz, so I would t be surprised if the McIntosh player incorporates Denon or Marantz tech in some shape or form. I would be surprised if it incorporated any technology from Oppo, however.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

The McIntosh MVP901 uses the same MediaTek platform template/chipset/deocoder as the OPPO BDT-101CI. Hence the strong resemblance.

tmtomh and Billy Budapest like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Indeed.

SoundStage! Access | SoundStageAccess.com (GoodSound.com) - McIntosh Laboratory MVP901 Universal Blu-ray Player

scobb and tmtomh like this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Looks like they are charging $4000+ for the Macintosh casework and styling. Maybe there is an improved analogue audio section but essentially the same digital processing and transport judging from the description.

tmtomh and The Beave like this.
  19. Interesting. I thought they would have gone for something developed by their Denon or Marantz stable mates (as they did with their pre-pros, for example).

20. Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It appears the video section on the Mac was the same as the Oppo except it can't do native 4K. Where the Mac has it over the Oppo is in the audio section which runs four Dacs per channel, better power supplies. Also, the Mac will provide service for a much longer period of time.

Not doing native 4k and not having 5.1 analog outputs is a no go for me. I don't get why they didn't add 4k processing.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Not that much. It's all about branding at this level. People pay a lot for Bentley but they are now a blinged up VW. I do like the large buttons on the Mac but they are hardly worth the premium. If they have squeezed out an extra 10% performance over Oppo 205 I would be surprised.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If it is not that much, then why are all these corporations running to China for manufacturing?

scobb and Brother_Rael like this.
  24. The Beave

Well not really, the 205 specs out as totally transparent as a Digital device, you can add this and that but it's already Reference quality.
    Here are the lab measurements:

Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Beave

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The only way to prove this is to listen to the units side by side. Measurements by some amateur hack with some nifty computer software does not impress me. Like the MCD550, the MVP901 produces very low levels of noise and distortion -- its signal/noise ratio is 115dB, its total harmonic distortion 0.002% -- and both are capable of 110dB of dynamic range.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018