Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The lowest price of a used 105D is around $700. I’ve never seen a used 205 go under a grand.

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

I wondered about that as well. I looked up MQA on the Cambridge Audio homepage, and it says none of their machines can decode it and that it would need a hardware upgrade to enable them to. So there is a good chance that the MQA decoding of the 205 is indeed limited to audio files.

The only MQA title that briefly struck my interest was Jimmy Smith - The Cat which uses a 2010 master, so that‘s a pass for me.

3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

A 105D on eBay went through two cycles without selling for $800, free shipping, over the past two weeks. Your right, I don't think any legitimate sale of a 205 has ever sold below $1000...

ti-triodes and Bill Mac like this.
  4. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Some of them are remastered, so those may of course be worth a try.

But, I also noticed a number of Blue Note titles that came out on BR-A, and on the 192/24 layer all of them sound terrific. Some came again on SHM-SACD (all still available), and the series they were in had some brillant masterings as well. So Universal is now looking for buyers who missed out on these two options within the last year AND have a player that can decode MQA. I‘ve been known to be wrong before, but that does sound fairly optimistic to me.

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Right now, the market has gone insane. There’s a herd mentality for people who missed the 205 that are afraid OPPO will cancel the last run due in June. At the same time, there’s some dumping of 105’s by new owners of the 20x players. It’s probably a good time to get a 105D if anyone is interested in the best 1080p universal player ever made. It should settle down in the next couple of months.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just sold my 105D for $700. So that figure is right on the money. Used 205s for $750 unless damaged or a scam is not going to happen.

7. Hymie the Robot

I got on the list early. I hope they don't do a random draw. :)

bluejimbop likes this.
  8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Good luck. From what I read over at AVS it’s going to be alloted per who signed up first. :righton:

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. Hymie the Robot

I thought about offering you $700 if you would ship it to me but I decided to splurge for the 205! I was going to pick up a 103D locally for $315 but I ended up getting a backup SACD ripper for $25 (Sony) so now I am going to put that $315 towards the 205. Funny how things work out...

10. Hymie the Robot

Nice. AVS should move their site hosting to something like SHF or QQ. It is a pain to read on my tablet in comparison.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just heard back from Oppo and they confirmed that the 205 has MQA disc playback :).

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Agreed. There’s also been some pop up spam plaguing the site on and off for a few months that’s infected their server. It’s been wrecking havoc on my Ipad Pro.

bluejimbop and Hymie the Robot like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did end up by shipping the 105D as the seller paid for shipping. It was in mint condition and all the accessories including the remote were still in sealed bags :). Great buyer!

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  14. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I promise not to mention this again. Other than, perhaps, the Primare BD32 Mark II discussed earlier in this thread! :D

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

MQA resolution of 24/176? Huh?

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yep - and I am the happy buyer. It's on its way to San Jose - Londonderry, NH last time I checked.

SamS, Bill Mac and Hymie the Robot like this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Correct. MQA is not 24-bit (cannot be in order to do the spectral folding, as shown in their own patents!).

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Great transaction and a real pleasure dealing with you! I hope it arrives in San Jose by the end of the week :).

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Wait, what?!? The Oppo site always has suggested that you're just signing up for a one-time email to be notified when new stock is available. There's never been any indication that anyone has been reserving a unit based on when they signed up.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  20. Yeah, he could have gotten a used one for 50% of MSRP a few months ago. 50% of MSRP is standard for used gear.

21. Right now it won’t happen, but a few months ago it could have.

22. Well to be fair it should be first refusal in order of sign up.

23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I remember the good old days when you could get a 103 or 105 certified refurbished direct from Oppo for 20% off retail - and it came in brand-new condition with the identical box, packaging, and accessories as the sold-as-new ones. That's how I got my 105.

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I have a lot of trouble seeing Oppo do that. What are they going to do - email the first 1,000 or 5,000 people or whatever and wait X number of days for all those people to get back to them, and only then activate the purchase link on their web site? Anything is possible, but I just don't see it.

My guess is that everyone who signed up will get a mass email saying either that 205s will go on sale starting X date and time, or that 205s have just gone on sale. Then it will be a mad rush to the Oppo web site to click the Buy button before they're gone.

The one thing Oppo can do to if they want to be fair is limit orders to one per customer.

chili555 and scobb like this.
  25. It would be so easy to notify the first X number and let them know they have 24-48 hours to purchase.

I think that would be fair.

ti-triodes and bluejimbop like this.