Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There is no chance that any support will occur after the warranty is out. What can Oppo do? Put up for sale, laser drive units.

HiFi Guy and Mr Bass like this.
  2. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I realized that my recent 203 purchase is the fifth oppo I've owned over a good number of years. I'm trying to recall any serious issues I've had with any of them heck any issues at all and none come to mind. That's pretty good quality control, IMO.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, Oppo has a good reputation as far as I know. Denon, well, that's another story.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The CXUHD is transport only, so this all comes down to whether or not you think the transport has any audible bearing on the resulting sound over and above that in the DAC/amp managing the conversion and output. It's pitched at a different kind of niche customer than the Oppo and I daresay that the last audiophile player that Cambridge produced was the CXU, which is basically the 752BD with Darbee as everything else is the same I think!

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

A couple of general points about some things touched on in the last few pages.

The info I got about the 205 waiting list was per some trustworthy info over at AVS when OPPO announced the list. It wouldn’t surprise me if OPPO is gauging the list to see what the demand is and what their final production quantity should look like. It should probably cover most people who sign up, but they can’t rule out people who don’t buy it even though they signed up. It won’t be a buy it immediately or forget it but people shouldn’t dawdle if they get the email. If you want it, BUY IT.

I can’t think of how any corporation could handle shutting down prodution better than they did. They’ve been upfront about the reasons for their decision, added another 205 run after they said they wouldn’t and will guarantee full warranties for the remaining players. There’s such a dedicated OPPO fan base and demand out there I’m sure future repairs will be handled in some way.

They’re going out of business in the same way they’ve dealt with us over the years. With class and a genuine respect for their customers.

6. I’ve heard from the powers that be and AVS is wrong—at least, they are *probably* wrong. Rather, “[Oppo] will likely be sending out E-mails as one big blast when the UDP-205 goes back on sale, so it will be first come first served.” That’s straight from the horse’s mouth. Well, not a horse, but one of the really great guys at Oppo.

ti-triodes and tmtomh like this.
  7. That *probably* won’t be the way it will be done. See my post above.

8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I called Oppo customer service today to ask about the procedure once the final 205s come in - first come first served, or mass email cattle call (didn't ask that way of course). The person I spoke with told me he does not know, and says that no decision has been communicated yet from the top level of the company.

He also added that when the final run comes in several weeks from now, he won't be there anymore. I told him I was sorry to hear that. It was kind of sad, and really put the quest for a 205 in perspective.

9. Got it. People gotta jump then if they really want one after an announcement is sent. But some will wait then bitch once they are finally gone if they don’t act .

10. I spoke to someone at Oppo who knows (you have to trust me on that—it’s not someone from Oppo CS). It will *probably* be done by a “mass email cattle call” announcing the 205 is for sale and then sales through the shop will be first-come, first-served.

And yes, it is sad. These are a bunch of really great people in the SF Bay Area who will be affected by this. Luckily, the job market is good and their skills are in demand—and with Oppo on their resumes, they look mighty good!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    superstar19 and tmtomh like this.
  11. Yes, that appears to be how it *probably* will work—and I would proceed based on that assumption. When you get the email, head to the store!

eddiel likes this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Oh, I have no doubt that you have a genuine source - and the cattle-call approach has been my assumption all along, based on the wording on Oppo's site and on common sense.

Billy Budapest and eddiel like this.
  13. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Do you think they'll up the price?

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No - they just want to get out.

Mooserfan, Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  15. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

I‘m always amazed how people here are able to tell audible differences by reading a manual. How exactly do you od th
    I will not reply to all the borderline-offensive reactions to my posts, but here‘s one final statement on the subject: I perfectly agree with you, if you want an one-in-all machine, in the current market, for the price, the Oppo 205 can‘t be beaten. Also, if you are comfortable traveling on easy road, do not look any further.

On the other hand, if you already have a headphone amp (or don‘t need one), or if you already own an A/V receiver or standalone DAC, or if you’re simply unwilling to make ANY compromise, or if you are simply a person who does not like to run with the herd: It may possibly make sense for you to at least take a look at the alternatives out there.

Of course, chances are you might still end up buying a 203/205.

With this, I shall leave you all to it.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  16. Brother_Rael

I'd be astonished. It'd be quite the slap in the face to the consumer and a sour way for them to bow out.

Mooserfan likes this.
  17. No, they are not going to do that. They make their margins at MSRP. If their BOM went up, then they would raise the price.

gd0 and Mooserfan like this.
  18. mongo

mongo Senior Member

With their dwindling head count I think it was would be unreasonable to think that Oppo is going to sift through a gob of emails and keep everything straight.
    Plus people would bitch endlessly of they thought they got screwed.

One last note on Oppo itself:
    I'm positive that Oppo Digital would rather stay in business working on innovative products.
    That's what they've done all along.
    Corporations and any business are in business to make a profit.
    They're not a non-profit entity.
    All of the corps making media playing gear see the market, we see the market.
    Look at what's happened to the DAC market, there are literally tons of DACs for sale by a wide range of companies huge and tiny.
    Perhaps with the vacuum left by Oppo some small company will see a niche where they can make money and step in.
    Hard to see that now but one never knows.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Oppo would have made its margin on dealer/distributor sales, so will make far more from direct sales!

Billy Budapest and tmtomh like this.
  20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Any idea when the announcement will be made?

21. Brother_Rael

Pioneer might just be waiting in the wings. Word on the What Hi Fi site is they've got two new players coming in...

Edgard Varese and scobb like this.
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I believe it will be in June.

23. Brother_Rael

I think possible, but unlikely and awful for the company name. That would be a shocking move if they did. I just don't see it though. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the parts and are prepping the next build run now.

24. It won’t *really* be a Pioneer, though, as Pioneer sold their AV business to Onkyo. That’s a good thing in my book, though, as Onkyo makes some top-notch stuff, especially under its Integra brand.

PTgraphics, tmtomh and mikeyt like this.
  25. Brother_Rael

Yeah, I read that article a few years back too. They were within the Gibson group for a while too but that relationship was cut recently I think. I like Onkyo's gear. Very music minded as a brand.

Billy Budapest likes this.