Father John Misty - New Album, God's Favorite Customer (June 1, 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeardedSteven, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

My thought is FJM was a creation to break from the J Tillman and Fleet Foxes history, and he fully embraced the character on Fear Fun and that tour (where I'd best describe the shows I saw as manic). Gradually that character has been fading away. I think there was a lot of deconstructing the FJM character through various tracks on Pure Comedy.

That said, most musicians have an element of acting in their public person and Tillman maybe more than some reverts back to a character. I think it depends on the situation and interview, but if it's a reporter or host who knows nothing beyond the press packet it seems you're more likely to get a FJM interview versus a Josh Tillman interview.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  2. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Superb record! Really fine pressing, quiet, flat, I love the look of the "loser" edition and its really good sounding. To me "Dumb enough to try" and "Please dont die" are his best songs so far. Its not that ironic, distant songwriting, that hides behind all this "I am the cool observer" thing, more direct. Really love it!

BeardedSteven and joelee like this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Mine is great, Joe - zero pressing issues and sounds good to me.

joelee and Clonesteak like this.
  4. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Plus it is a fake test pressing ;-)

5. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here he is performing songs from the new album live on KCRW.

Father John Misty on MBE

I saw him last weekend in Minneapolis. He played 6 songs from the new one and they all sounded great. It was nice to get so many new ones at a festival set!

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha, I just bought both, the Urban Outfitters blue vinyl and the loser edition. The foil tears look great!!!!! Neither the Urban Outfitters nor the Rough Trade Exclusive have that....

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ordered this from the John Misty site. I like the album more and more. He has a knack for creating characters of everyday life in a circus freakshow kind of way.

Should I feel surprised that I got a test pressing on the sweet purple swirl vinyl?

Or does everyone get a test pressing that ordered early?

Tell me Im special, Ive had a hard day :D

8. guidedbyvoices

Heh everyone got a test pressing. Purple black red vinyl and cd too.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dang, Im not special :(

;)

Crazyhorse11 and Neonbeam like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Hey, I've got a test pressing too! :pineapple:

Great album with an uncanny "Elton John circa 1972" sound but that's alright ! :righton: What's not - especially - "alright" is that I passed Sub Pop's US Loser edition thinking it was essentially the same as the Bella Union limited edition "Purple Splatter". Now that I got and opened that I saw that technically it is but that the EU was translucent with a few streaks of purple thrown in for good measure and the solid US looked much cooler. Damned! I'm not buying "God's Favourite Customer" for a third time. But maybe I will get a test pressing again?!:evil:

11. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’ve listened to the album practically every night since its release. I’m convinced now that it’s his masterpiece.

12. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Having read that I am going to put the headphones on and listen to GFC and drift off to sleep. My new favorite album of his too.

lonelysea likes this.
  13. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

It looks way cooler for sure :) and it seems to be pressed at RTI.

14. Neonbeam

Are we running out of things to say about this album? In my humble opinion it just gets better as summer progresses! :righton:

15. Clonesteak

I can only say this album is very, very good!!!
    I will be listening to this album tomorrow for sure. I love the recording of this album. It sounds really good to my ears. Great lyrics, great music, great recording and clever packaging of "Test Pressing" on the vinyl. :righton:

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I went to see FJM play Portland last night. I’ve been lukewarm on God’s Favorite Customer so far but I figured that I’d come to appreciate the songs better after the concert.

I was right. Especially Mr. Tillman, which I always felt had promise (with its premise of a conversation between a concerned hotel employee and a tripping Father John Misty), but had kind of annoyed me because the chorus recycles the verse melody. But live, the chorus arrangements were psychedelic and off-kilter, as if he’s trying to match the front desk’s collected tone by mimicking the melody, but the instruments swirling around him make it clear that he’s out of his gourd. I thought that was a shrewd decision, and it really elevated the song.

BeardedSteven and Neonbeam like this.
  17. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm up to 5 times seeing him so far this year. And not just the album keeps getting better (album of the year so far imo) but his live sets just keep getting better! I have 5 more planned thru October. I hope he continues this run of getting better. :)

18. Kubrick

Kubrick Forum Resident

Been playing this album every weekend at my fiancee and I's shop since our distro got in the "loser edition" this month. It's been introducing Father John Misty to people that had previously never heard of him, and it's been grabbing customers every time with at least one person purchasing the album as it plays. This one is in the running to be one of our top selling new albums this year!

19. Clonesteak

I can’t believe my wife hasn’t listened to this album in its entirety yet. I recommended it to her. I guess I will have to make a cd and put it in her car CD player.
    This slab of vinyl sounds sublime!!! After listening to this album another 3 tunes through the week it is my album of the year.

Neonbeam and BeardedSteven like this.
  20. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

I'm somewhat new to FJM, his albums before this had failed to really grab me. But this album is without a doubt, one of the best new albums I have heard in a really long time. I've been listening to is straight for about a month now, and I can't really seem to get enough of it. Can't wait to grab it on vinyl. The production, instrumentation, writing, his voice. Just so great. There's also something to be said for an album coming along at just the right time personally, and this has been that as well. I hear so many different influences on this album that are so right up my alley (Elton John, Harry Nillson, Todd Rundgren, John Lennon, Wilco...), but it sounds fresh here, earnest... just amazing.

21. guidedbyvoices

My wife couldn’t get into him at all until we saw him live. Then she became a huge fan.

Neonbeam and BeardedSteven like this.
  22. My favourite album of the year so far and I came to it not being a big fan.

23. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

This album has really grown on me, especially the back half. The title track really clicked for me after watching the music video, not sure why. And I would place “Please Don’t Die” in my top 5 FJM songs. Still affecting after dozens of listens.

24. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

His Red Rocks show was absolutely amazing last night.

BeardedSteven, Cassius and Neonbeam like this.
  25. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I'll take it easy with the morbid stuff...

I've had this and Courtney Barnett's Tell Me How You Really Feel in constant rotation on a single burnt cd for about a month now and I cant bring myself to take it out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.