Favorite 12" Singles/Versions/Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Nov 6, 2017.

1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fun! Extended 12" mixes became a music standard in the late 70's through the 80's during the funk/disco/synthpop eras. Most of these 12" versions were made for the dance floor but they also provided an interesting, lengthier version of an already known song. The 12" singles were cool, because they contained extended versions and sometimes extended instrumentals. It was cool hearing these extra moments of music, usually presented by instrumental breaks and jamming. 12" singles also became a standard at the rise of hip hop (Rapper's Delight, The Breaks, being one of the best 12" singles of its time).

These singles not only left us with some cool, alternate versions/mixes of music we love but also left a cultural imprint, whether you know it or not. There are a lot to choose from, certainly, but what are your favorite 12" extended versions/mixes/instrumentals/etc? I've been digging some of these lately. It's fun to get lost in a lengthy groove :)

Ando II, McLover, rbichamp and 7 others like this.
  2. bcaulf

Here's one I like, an instrumental version of "A Funky Space Reincarnation" by Marvin Gaye. I prefer this instrumental version to the vocal version. It just works as a track without vocals. 8 minutes and uber funky.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

4. I normally prefer album versions, but this is an exception for me:

kanno1ae, Sean, duggan and 4 others like this.
  5. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Depeche Mode - Get The Balance Right (Combination Mix)
    Depeche Mode - Strangelove (Maxi Mix)
    Stephen Duffy - Kiss Me (Francois Kevorkian Mix)
    Book Of Love - I Touch Roses (Long Stemmed Version)
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls (10" Mix)
    Blancmange - Tell Me (Remix)
    CCCP - American Soviets (Cameron Paul Remix)

6. bcaulf

This one is indeed a favorite of mine!

7. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I'm happy to have a NM copy of this record, but have wondered if this version has ever been issued on CD?

8. Jump Cut

Jump Cut Forum Resident

Duran Duran's The Reflex was one of the first ones I ever bought. And I still have it.

9. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

For my money the best 12" mix ever:

10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Aw man, you're kidding, right? I'm a Prince fan so the 12" single rules in my world! Also, in general music terms - as a former dj - the extended versions of many disco/funk/club tracks were always preferred to album versions.

Where do we begin??? :cool:

11. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Too many to mention. While I was never a huge fan of the old school "Extended version", where they just added more music, I would always lose my mind over any kind of whacked out vocal manipulations. LOVED LOVED LOVED Shep Pettibone for this very reason. Favorite remixers were/are Shep Pettibone and Hex Hector.

12. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Ha. FGTH had several great 12" records. But this one does stand out above the rest. Sort of defines the era, too.

13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Love Shep Pettibone's touch. But there were an awful lot of bad remixes, too. The worst were tracks that had endless looping as opposed to legit breakdowns or build-ups based on actual components of the original instrumentation. Needed the master to do that, though.

rbichamp, dobyblue and JNTEX like this.
  14. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Most of my favorite 12" records were not remixes at all but simply the original extended version of the version you'd hear on the radio.

On the other hand, remix compilations for singles by acts like Janet or Madonna were a mixed bag. Featuring big name DJs contributing their own spins on the same track these maxi-singles had a fairly short window. But I remember making trips to the city just to browse the racks at Tower Records, HMV and/or any number of small records shops in the village to score the latest.

[​IMG]

Victor Calderone's mix of the Barry White song, Never Gonna Fall, is one of two great productions on this otherwise lackluster Lisa Stansfield compilation.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  15. bcaulf

The Prince 12” are the essential versions, you’re right! Especially Erotic City. I can’t listen to the 7” version anymore after hearing the original, longer version. The extended Let’s Go Crazy on the b-side was also great.

I like seeing these posts so far, I’ll have to listen to some of these at work today.

joy stinson, thekid87, Yost and 6 others like this.
  16. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

For 12” or extended mixes I am more of a Rock or Pop fan:
    Foreigner “That Was Yesterday”
    Stevie Nicks “Rooms on Fire”
    White Lion “Wait”
    Plus many more.

Bevok likes this.
  17. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I like the Prince compilation "Ultimate". Its second compact disc has extended mixes including my favorite titled "U Got The Look (Long Look Mix)".

18. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

I'm surprised nobody yet mentioned the absolute 12", the one that sold the most but didn't manage to make a penny, one of the top singles on the 80s, Blue Monday of course.

[​IMG]

tomd, Paquini, bug2362 and 31 others like this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Pizza, duggan, John Adam and 2 others like this.
  20. bcaulf

Just listened to this, great! Sounds like a really cool club tune, despite how dark it is.

21. bcaulf

Of course!

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  22. bcaulf

Didn’t see this but 12 pages! I have a lot of studying to do...

c-eling likes this.
  23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

24. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Well, technically that's not a 12" version; it's the only version. That never came out on 7".

25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Enigma-Return To Innocence (Long & Alive Version), 1993