Favorite "Dark Star"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

I might be wrong, but I don't think we've had a dedicated thread on this. So let's be thankful for all the wonderful "Dark Stars" that the Grateful Dead have dropped on us, and pick our favorites. And tell us why.

I'll start with one I just listened to.

Cleveland 12/6/73. It's one of the longer Stars at 43 minutes and change. I love the 1972-1974 versions best. In spite of the great high-energy "Dark Stars" from the 1969-1970 era, I like what Keith added in his rookie years. He took Jerry and Phil to places where they never went before, as this DS proves. Phil is all over the place, either dropping bombs, pushing feedback or playing melodically against the percussion. He also gets down to more subtle, almost subsonic frequencies that sets up a canvas for the rest of the gang. Keith is way up in the mix, and uncharacteristically plays leads, encouraging Jerry in a competitive way like Brent would later do with his B-3. Garcia's vocals are strong and self-assured. The jamming gets very electronic, like the Ned Lagin-inspired sounds of 1974, transitioning to very listenable feedback, then back to more structured playing. Weir and Godchaux briefly try to push Jerry into "Wharf Rat", but no one's gonna tell him what to play here. He quickly lets them know that "Eyes Of The World" will come out of this glorius "Dark Star". "Eyes" will give way to "Stella Blue" to complete the Spud Boy trifecta.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I need to run out but I'll post my thoughts later today.

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. Jerry

I had a feeling that you'd be first up. :righton:

Happy Thanksgiving Mike!:wave:

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

hey, where'd you get the idea for this thread ? :winkgrin:
    Cleveland 12-6-73 immediately came to mind when I saw the topic. It's the second longest version and is just awesome! I like the 1973 Dark Stars the best, and I wonder why they tapered off playing it in 1974? (They did it 18 times in '73 but only 6 times in '74)

footlooseman and ianuaditis like this.
  5. Vintage Season

Vintage Season Active Member

My favorite is the very-well-assembled Graygolded, which includes segments from numerous masterfully played "Dark Star" performances over a span of thirty-five years. (This is also my favorite Grateful Dead album, as such.)

- M.

[​IMG]

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

1977: CSN Boat Album

;)

7. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Here's a couple from the 80's:

July 13, 1984 -- Greek Theater -- Encore: Dark Star! (Following a real shooting star) Last dark star was 12-31-1981.

October 10, 1989 -- Hampton -- 'The Warlocks' shows. First time played since the Greek show mentioned above. My audience tape always gave me chills. The place goes berzerk!

I couldn't find the dark star, but this "Death Don't Have No Mercy" is from the same show.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=14&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

The biggest breakout of this night was the Attics encore, which hadn't appeared since 1972!

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'Greyfolded' is the only one I've got (except for Henry Kaiser's cover version), so I'll have to vote for that too.

Though it feels like a cheat; like when the genie offers you a wish and you wish for a million more wishes.

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

My favourite versions are the one I saw...I'm biased I guess.

True, there are many more great versions from the 60's and 70's, but the one I saw at Boston Gardens in 1991 was complete; two verses...that's a rarity from 1970 on, so that one stands as my favourite.

10. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

2/14/70, 4/8/72, 2/27/69, 9/21/72 and so on and so on.

tinnox likes this.
  11. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

2/27/69, 2/13/70, 5/11/72, 12/6/73 are probably mine...

12. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Apologies for dropping in on an area where I'm so unqualified. I'm a casual Dead fan who nevertheless respects all those who are much less "casual" than I am!

I only want to put a plug in for the only other "Dark Star" I know besides the Live/Dead one...and that's the one that appears on the 3-LP Glastonbury Fayre album released in the UK c. 1973.

I understand this was actually recorded at Wembley. Compared with the airiness of the Live/Dead version, this is a very dense, dark star indeed...but I really like it.

notesofachord and ianuaditis like this.
  13. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I honestly don't like the Dead (I've triiiiiied), but I have more regard for their spacier/noisier stuff, and I do have the "Greyfolded" album and like that a lot. I thought that would be heresy to list in this thread, though.

14. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

You forgot to mention that that was also Friday the 13th...it's a pretty unimpressive, paint by the numbers version, IMO (another like version that comes to mind is 12-31-78) It must have been a mindblower for the people lucky enough to see it, though (or ANY post retirement version) Unfortunately I don't fall into this category, I lost interest in the Dead for a while right around the time they brought this and Help>Slip>Franklin's and other songs back (1989-90)

15. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

It stand corrected 2/13/70. My favourite Dead Jam.

16. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I'm no Dead expert, but the Live/Dead version is excellent.

peachyg72, Sordel and Folknik like this.
  17. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm not an obsessive - I've heard maybe 20 or 30 different Dark Stars over the years, but I never mark the dates on the tapes (now CDs) so I just think of them as "that's a pretty good one" and "eh, they don't seem warmed up yet on this night". But when I was listening to one about a week ago, what struck me that was the one on Live/Dead was really about as good as it gets overall, and if I was them and wanted one version to represent what they could do with the song on a record that's meant to be listened to again and again, that would have been it.

Sordel likes this.
  18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

That Glastonbury Fayre is from 4/8/72 and is one of my top 3 Dark Stars, the others being the Live/Dead version (2/27/69) and 9/21/72.

That Glastonbury Fayre excerpt was how I first heard this version. Someone made me a copy that ran at too fast of a speed and was from a horribly scratched album. I loved it anyway. The full Dark Star (and subsequent Sugar Mag>Caution) have since been released on the 4-CD set "Steppin' Out With The Grateful Dead". It starts off like the band are in a hurry to get.....somewhere. After 10 minutes or so they nearly come to a complete halt and out comes the first (and only) verse. Then it's off to deep space...I love this version mainly for the wonderful jam that comes at the end. Out of this intense meltdown comes this beautiful cry of joy. It's kind of precursor to the so-called "Mind Left Body" jams they would do in 73-74. The tempo picks up and off to "Sugar Mag" they go. One of my favorite musical moments ever, by anyone.

If I had to pick one favorite Dark Star, it would be the 9/21/72 version (released on DP 36). The first 30 minutes or so are a typical 1972 Dark Star, in other words a great band in step with each other telepathically firing on all cylinders. But then something wonderful happens, something well over and above the call of duty...as the band begins their decent from a Deep Space they sound like they heading straight to "Morning Dew"....but then Jerry takes a detour and out comes a beautiful flowing collective improvisation that lasts about 5 mintues or so and THEN they finally land on "Morning Dew". A truly stunning experience every time I hear it.

And it's been said many times, but the Live/Dead version from 2/27/69 is fantastic. A perfect mix of subtlety and intensity wrapped in a 24 minute journey that marks a true turning point in the band's musical development. Actually, all of the Dark Stars from this run of shows are great, but the 2/27 version has just a little something extra. The band were wise to choose this version for their live album.

Honorable mentions:

2/13/70 (DP 4)
    9/19/70
    10/31/71 (DP 2)
    8/27/72
    9/27/72 (DP 11)
    12/6/73
    10/16/89 (Nightfall of Diamonds)
    10/31/91

Great thread idea!

19. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

If it ain't got Tom Constantin, it ain't really "Dark Star". Lesh and Constantin together pushed this tune into the next nearest galaxy.

jackieboy, Zafu and djork like this.
  20. JayB

JayB Senior Member

4/8/72

Taylor16 likes this.
  21. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Most of the 1972 versions I have heard. I agree that the 4-8 and 9-21 are spectacular. 9/23 and 9/24 are aslo noteworthy. I love 1972 I feel it was their absolute peak.

C

22. bumper

bumper Forum Resident

The 4/8/72 and 8/27/72 are both deservedly awesome performances, but I'd like to put in a word for Tampa 12/18/73 (this is the night before the Dick's Picks Volume One concert). Very cool feedback out of the main body of the song.

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. Jerry

That's a great one, which I witnessed. That night they played a wild "Touch of Gray" out of "Scarlet Begonias" and one of the most emotional versions of "Stella Blue" I ever heard, with eerie slide by Weir. The crew set up some video screens on stage for the encore, and everyone was scratching their head. When they started showing slides of outer space scenes, we thought "No way!" Way. A rare "Dark Star" from that era. I saw the 12/31/81 one also, and the 12/31/78 one before that. I'd trade all 3 to have seen a 1973 DS.

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

CSN got it right, by name at least...4:43, killer groove.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

25. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

All of them!

3/29/69 Ice Palace Las Vegas
    5/11/72 Rotterdam

The later being so crazy that it is almost disorienting to listen to.

Peace. Robert

ianuaditis likes this.