Favorite Internet Radio Stations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ricky Lampoon, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are your favorite internet radio stations and why?

Beatles Radio from Los Angeles plays Beatles related songs 24 hours a day.

Nice.

chickendinna likes this.
  2. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

myradiostream.com/wmtc

Nice live show DJ'd from vinyl almost every Friday night, good variety. Automated 24/7 when there's no live DJ in studio...

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't like stations with such narrow playlists

HorseyAnn, pudgym, Synthfreek and 3 others like this.
  4. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I've been listening to this internet station called SCR Transistor Oldies that only plays music that was on the charts at this precise time of the year in time sweeps from the early 50's up to the late-80's or so. They do a weekend countdown show too. Pretty good -- but AM radio hits only with some nice surprises here and there.
    [​IMG]

5. spacer

spacer Forum Resident

6. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Haven't listened to internet radio for a long time but when I was in my teens there was a KISS/Alice Cooper station I would listen to regularly.

7. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

8. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

KVKVI Flashback Favourites.

PiratesFan and xyzmikey like this.
  9. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Midnight Cafe Radio

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I miss running my old online station. For five years, it was all about music discovery for conseervative listeners who didn't even know they were burned-out on Adult Contemporary radio: a "de-programmer" station for office drone listening, if you will.

I probably spent about as much time combing the world for relatively-under-exposed tracks as much as I did editing music logs that fit the contours of older listeners who would find softer, unfamiliar-but-accessible music compelling. While the rest of the world tried to impress "experts" and hip listeners with cutting-edge, challenging, attitude-driven "music you're supposed to know if you're cool", I focused on getting novice explorers comfortable with folk, electronica, bluegrass, chill, foreign pop, and other styles that didn't really seem to go together on paper. I actually had to create categories of familiar and semi-familiar titles that could give a listener some semblence of vague recognizability, without tipping them off who the format was really for. You don't run into very many stations that mix "experimental" and "comfort zone" in their mission statements.

At peak, I was exposing audiences to "no more than" a 1,500-song palette any given day, and for all they knew I could have been broadcasting from planet Mars. But much cooler, and less swagger than your local college station.

11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I literally listen to Groove Salad (downtempo ambient electronic chill by Soma.FM) about 8 hours a day, as I have it streaming all day at work. Often I also put it on at home. Highly recommended!! They have a great app as well.

ispace and drgn95 like this.
  12. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Oh boy do I ever miss Technicolor Web Of Sound. Which was a 1960s centric show streamed out of a Wisconsin basement.

But Beyond The Beat Generation is as close to it as we are ever likely to get.
    http://www.beyondthebeatgeneration.com/
    I've listened to this for hours and hours, and days on end, and it never ceases to amaze.
    The home page bills itself as a museum of the obscure.

Here's what's playing now...
    Played @ Song Title
    06:58:54 Pullice - Little Girl (Unreleased) Santa Rosa, Cal. 1966 (From Master) Current Song
    06:56:14 Graf Zeppelin - You're In My Mind (Orlyn 4588) Chicago, Ill. 196-
    06:53:13 7th Seal - Mr. You're A Better Man Than I (Justice Recording Co.) Bridgewater Virginia 1967 (post-English Muffins)
    06:48:37 Dizzy Satellites - Underwater Love (Music Maniac 007) Berlin, Germany 1986
    06:45:55 Tracers - Gloria (Unreleased) Minot, N.Dakota 1966
    06:43:42 Hungri I's - Hold On (Bee Jay Demo, Vol.2) Tener 1014 - Daytona Beach, Fla. 1967
    06:41:39 Frankie and The Upsetters - The Kind Of Love I Need (University Artist 8801) Baton Rouge, La. 1965
    06:38:59 Unrelated Segments - Story Of My Life (HBR 514) Mich. 1967
    06:36:21 Hard Times - Can't Wait Till Friday (Gray Ant 107) Washington D.C. USA 1966
    06:34:06 Stone Country - Mantra (RCA 3958) Hollywood, Cal. 1968
    06:31:41 Ford Theatre - I Feel Uncertain (ABC 681) Milford, Mass. 1969
    06:28:06 Pearls Before Swine - The Surrealistic Waltz (ESP 1054) NY 1967
    06:25:18 Landlords - I'll Return (Reed 1069) Boston, Mass. 1967
    06:23:42 Tracers - She Said Yeah (Solly 928) Minot, N.Dakota 1966
    06:23:42 Spot - Tom Donahue - 1969 KSAN Newscast
    06:21:33 Omen And Their Luv - Maybe Later (Daisy 4824) Tuscaloosa, Alabama 1967
    06:18:08 Rock Shop - Is That Your Halo (Rowena 853) Monterey, Cal. 1967
    06:15:05 Superfine Dandelion - I Can Never Say (Unreleased) Phoenix, Az. 1967
    06:12:26 Roy Head And The Great Believers - Easy Lovin' Girl (Unreleased) Houston, Tx.
    06:05:45 Them - If You And I Could Be As Two (Decca 12281) Belfast, Ireland 1965

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Techweb of Sound was incredible. So many psychedelic gems. Used to record that on my computer a bit.

Your link to that station sounds great, just wish they told you the artist and song name.

14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Pinguin Classics on the Dutch Pinguin Radio app.

Pinguin Radio by Pinguin Radio ‎Pinguin Radio

15. Saint Johnny

They do list artist/song/label/country/year in the stream if you get the stream through, say iTunes or Shoutcast.

So true, about TWOS, but TWOS was also tad a bit more mainstream, late 6o's playlists than Beyond The Beat Generation is.
    Beyond The Beat Generation while awesome and still great, does tend to not ever, ever play any hits from the time period, at all, and the better known artists are often represented by the more obscure songs from their catalogs, though not exclusively.

16. Saint Johnny

17. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I don't really have a favorite, but if one is looking for a meat & potatoes oldies station, you can't go wrong with KSRF, which is terrestrial here in Los Angeles, but also streams on the web (Click HERE). Their format is quite straight-forward. They play anything that charted in the 20 year period from late 1954 to late 1974. The oldest thing you'll hear on the station is probably "Earth Angel" and the newest is probably "Black Water."

18. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

ClassicOldies.co.uk Plays just 50's & 60's 24/7. Just what I like!
    The daft thing is that I can't get it through their web site because I have a MacBook Air. Their site won't work with Apple, I have to get it through I-Tunes Internet list, Crazy!

19. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Oui FM Alternatif
    Our FM Rock Indé
    ByteFM
    La Grosse Radio Reggae
    ...are on heavy rotation here.

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  20. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

We have Sirius at work. It was always on some Top 40 station that made me suicidal. Recently, I stumbled upon Little Steven's Underground Garage. They always play a healthy dose of Beatles plus lots of garage rock both familiar and obscure. Some of the kids I work with "get it", some don't. I'm trying to educate them. At least I'm a lot happier now.

forthlin likes this.
  21. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Choice Classic Rock- nice deep tracks station
    Beatles-A-Rama
    Morow- prog radio
    America’s Ultimate Oldies Channel- mainly 60s and 70s but hits the 50s and some 80s too and not the usual stuff

22. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the recommendations.

As an aside, do you use an app to listen? I use the Simple Radio app for iPhone, which works really well. My only complaint is that it doesn’t show details of the song being played.

Are there apps that do show song details?

Currently listening to GD Radio (24/7 Grateful Dead). Good sound quality. Recommended for all you Deadheads.

23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

ispace likes this.
  24. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I like the McIntosh radio station. Good mix, high bitrate. Mostly classic rock but not afraid to mix some modern stuff as well as jazz/blues in on occasion.

McIntosh Music

Blue meters on my PC are cool.

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  25. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I use Tune-In on my HT Receiver, when at the computer I just navigate to the page. If they don't have their own player it opens in Foobar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.