Favorite music documentaries

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

This strikes just the right blend of history, music, old, new, performance, band recollections, and thoughts from other relevant parties.

Really interesting film... talk about a filmmaker being in the right place at the right time. You really don't need to be a fan of their music, or even know anything about them, to appreciate this one.

2. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Solt is also the man behind the IMAGINE: JOHN LENNON doc - which was the first R-rated film I saw in a theater at the age of 13. :laugh:

I'll throw in two rock docs that I really liked:
    GIGANTIC: A TALE OF TWO JOHNS - about They Might Be Giants. The best match of film style to the spirit of the artists being profiled that I've ever seen. Consider your opinion of the band and adjust expectations accordingly. The director went on to make the KURT COBAIN ABOUT A SON doc.

loudQUIETloud: A FILM ABOUT THE PIXIES - very poignant and fascinating chronicle of the band's reunion tour, presenting a rich tapestry of the members' lives by just observing them working and interacting.

3. MCE1965

MCE1965 Senior Member

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I like the way you think, and...Solt was behind the Stones' 25 X 5, another reason to still love my VCR ! :righton:

6. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Definitely a good flick, I'd forgot about this one. Think it still doesn't have a home-video release, but it used to run on Showtime with some frequency. The story of the Queen tribute band shown in the movie didn't do much for me, but the KISS and Monkees tribute sections are very entertaining.

7. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

This strikes just the right blend of history, music, old, new, performance, band recollections, and thoughts from other relevant parties.

I agree. Also if you want a bit more lighthearted and funny but still fact filled Ramones history watch Ramones Raw with the commentary track featuring Johnny and Marky talking with a Ramones fan/ expert. Johnny is in a rare good mood and even gives Joey's singing the odd compliment. The feature includes a few full songs, mostly sourced from a 1980 televised concert in Italy.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My favorites tend to be ones where I dont even really love the music.
    I was really affected by New York Doll. If it wasnt true, it'd be cheesy hokum Lifetime movie. Instead I was blown away, and david johanssens song at the end really got to me. Really struck at the love the band had for Arthur, they playfully teased him, but they never made fun of him for his beliefs or straight laced-ness, or any of it.

I love the Ramones doc as well, dont know if its the best performances of any of the songs to win over someone who doesnt know the music, but another great film and story.

Love the Brian Wilson one that came with Smile.

The one about Rodney Bingenheimer was fascinating as well.

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Four of my favorites are pictured below. Note that the "Songmakers" set is actually 2-DVD's, which includes a wonderful bio on Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller! I would also like to include two documentaries that I have, but are not yet "officially" released.

"Who Is Harry Nilsson And Why Is Everybody Talking About Him" and
    "The Wrecking Crew" Documentary, which are BOTH fabulous and are MUST SEE'S.

Chris C

10. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey
    It Was 20 Years Ago Today
    Until the Light Takes Us

11. Haven't seen this yet - no real chances to - but I'm ordering the deluxe DVD set (released in about four weeks) and hope it's as good as it seems/most of the initial reviews have indicated.

12. I enjoyed the one about Chet Baker, Let's Get Lost.

13. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

:thumbsup: I second the documentaries mentioned above.

14. RobMac

RobMac Forum Resident

This Is Spinal Tap.

arley likes this.
  15. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Love The Wrecking Crew documentary - can't wait for a DVD release.

Just got done burning to DVD a documentary that I had taped off of AMC back when they used to be commercial free. The doc is called Hollywood Rocks The Movies and it's 2 and a half hours of music and movie clips telling the history of rock and roll in the movies and narrated by Ringo Starr. I'm glad that this VHS tape survived this long!

Anybody else miss the old AMC and their "AM Pop" nights?

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes !

And...the first VHS tape I ever made was with a timer, because I had to be at work, but it's the PBS footage of Volunteer Jam V, feat. the return of the plane-crash surviving members of Lynyrd Skynyrd...feat. an INSTRUMENTAL " Free Bird "...and the tape has survived 31 years so far !!!

17. okinawa

okinawa Member

Shadowplayers (Factory Records & Manchester Post-Punk 1978-1981)
    Pet Shop Boys - A Life In Pop
    Made In Sheffield (The birth of Electronic Pop)

18. Another great one I somehow forgot to mention is Heavy Metal In Baghdad, which follows Iraq's only heavy metal band as they try to get their rock on in the wake of the US intervention and subsequent civil conflict. More than just a music documentary, this is probably the best film I've seen about the human consequences of the war and how people try to just live life in the most trying circumstances.

19. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

For the groups of my time - Woodstock & Monterey Pop

For genre and rare documentation of artists - The American Folk Blues Festival series.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
  20. williamfoden

williamfoden Member

For classical music/guitar fans: Julian Bream - My Life In Music
    Bream is a great storyteller and there are many live TV clips from thruout his career.

21. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Bumping this thread.

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Compleat Beatles
    Rush-Beyond The Lighted Stage
    Kids Are Alright
    Woodstock
    Gimme Shelter
    Rattle & Hum

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

both on Rhino video...

Mamas and Papas-Straight Shooter
    The Turtles-Happy Together

Morpheus likes this.
  24. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The Ballad Of Ramblin' Jack, made by Rambin' Jack Elliott's daughter, who, for not being a filmmaker, did an excellent job.

High Lonesome, The Story Of Bluegrass and Bill Monroe, Father Of Bluegrass were good, too.

We Jam Econo, The Story Of The Minutemen

25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Bix, 'Ain't None of Them Play Like Him Yet', the story of jazz musician Bix Beiderbecke. Narration by Richard Basehart.