Favorite new show: Orphan Black on BBC America

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

So after only two episodes this is one of my favorite new shows. Well acted and directed with some great surprises and a great performance from its lead actor: Tatiana Maslany Check it out.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/

ex_mixer likes this.
  2. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

There has been a lot of buzz about this series but the first episode really didn't grab me--couldn't get into it and found the characters unlikeable. I understand that it may begin to take off on Ep. 2.

I guess I need to give it another chance--

3. Mazzy

We watched the first two in a row last night and loved it.

4. Just started.its a fascinating premise for a series.

5. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

I've seen bits of it, and I plan to watch the first two this weekend. The concept is enough for me to watch and the quality seems there.
    No doubt I'll be hooked soon.

6. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

The second one was tighter. Not night and day difference, but the plot seemed less herky-jerky as she now had a concept of what she was supposed to do.

The one moment that hooked me was in the pilot when (minor, non-plot related SPOILER) she doesn't answer the cell phone in the bar. I felt as if on an American series, that phone is picked up. With the creative Canadian team behind this, she ignores it. Smart decision for someone in her position.

7. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Liked tonight's episode a lot, they're doling out enough of the conspiracy to move the plot forward. Without spoiling anything an event happened at the end of the epi that could help keep the show out of improbability in the long term. Well, as much as a plot concerning a cloning conspiracy can be "probable".

8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Surprised there isn't a little more talk about this here, given its spot following Dr. Who on BBCA. Saturday's episode was great, with a twist or two, a bit of weirdness and a little humor. Tatiana Maslany is really good in this. Does she get paid a separate salary for each role? :D

[​IMG]

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I have enjoyed every episode so far. As stated above, a fascinating premise for a series. But, also one that could easily become ridiculous if not for the superior writing. It seems to have just the right mix of drama, action and comedy.

Last week, the end of the intervention with the subtle music in the background was hilarious and indicative of how this show can seemingly go in any direction it wants and still succeed.

Also, Matt Frewer, aka Max Headroom, is a good addition to the cast.

Season finale this Saturday.

10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I enjoyed the season finale but I thought they added too many twists at the end to create a cliffhanger.

I wish Season 2 would start before Spring 2014 but at least it will not be as long a wait as "Sherlock".

11. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Finally caught up with it earlier this week. ***SPOILER*** Not sure if I liked how they resolved Helena's character as having a visceral killer contrasted nicely with Neolution's more cerebral and Big Brother approach. But in discussing the ending my wife and I had at least three scenarios to what may have happened at the end ***END SPOILER*** It's strange, I realized that most of the TV shows I buy are comedies or, if I do get dramas, it's my favorite episodes (like the X-Files). I loved Lost and some others but have no desire to rewatch them. With Orphan Black, it might be a day-1 pickup.

12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I finally got to watch the finale Thursday night. The only unnecessary twist (I thought) was the situation with Allison and and her neighbor. We had sorta predicted the major plot point at the end, but now we're unsure what part Mrs. S is playing in all of this. Now it's a long wait until next season...

13. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Allison's reaction seemed to unlock an emotion or instinct in her, though. It might hint at the purpose of the cloning experiment.

14. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I hope Tatiana wins but even if she does not I think her career has a bright future.

16. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Just caught up through the season finale. Like this show a lot. And Tatiana has to be the hardest working actor in show business today. She is terrific!

17. Mazzy

One I enjoyed the most this past season

18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree.

19. We're only up to the fourth episode in the UK, and for some reason BBC Three has decided not to repeat this week's installment despite heavily promoting the series and there hardly being a day that passes without me noticing yet another reviewer adding to the already substantial yet highly deserved heap of praise for Tatiana Maslany's performances. Then again, it doesn't make much of a difference to me or the other half, since we decided a fortnight ago that we'll not be waiting until August next year (yes, really!) for the first season to appear on DVD over here. Currently enjoying our third run-through of the whole show after getting its US counterpart, I'm absolutely floored by how underground it seems this brilliant production is destined to remain. Orphan Black is something I'm currently recommending to all of my friends and family, which is rare as I've developed a reputation for not caring too much about television in general lately. Really, we found ourselves unsatisfied with not knowing what happens next and did two full marathons virtually back to back, picking up so many details on the second viewing and even more the next time around. Apart from wanting to see where the plot heads next, I'm also curious to know if the region 2 release is due to include more extras as there's a lot of potential material on BBC America's official YouTube channel, with my only real complaint so far the relative lack of bonus content in the package we imported - especially when you consider the possibility for more extensive behind the scenes type features. Does anyone know what to expect from the domestic version, or is it still too early to tell? Either way, I've personally not been this excited about anything on the box in a very long time, and we're both following the progress on TV not only to support it in the ratings, but simply because it's that deep we're still discovering previously ignored details with every new viewing. Intelligent, dramatic, hilarous... sometimes all within the space of a few minutes. "You're damn right" I'm a member of the Clone Club now, and my other half definitely feels the same way.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Did anyone else notice the scar on Tatiana's right hand throughout much of the show, which is obscured by careful wardrobe choices in many shots? I'm guessing the cut on her knuckle when she broke open that briefcase might not have been the work of the make up department!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  20. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Season 2 of Orphan Black starts on BBC America on Saturday, April 19.

progrocker71 likes this.
  21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Looking forward to it, I just finished up season 1 on Prime a couple days ago.

22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Thank you for the date.

23. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Just finished episode eight of Season One on blu ray (one more disc to go). Very excited about Season Two. My new favorite show.

24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Tonight is a cast interview show. I wonder if they will speak to every character Tatiana plays?

25. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I've been watching on Amazon Prime....I dig it.

But man...Sarah and her brother REEEEALLY get on my nerves!! Not likable at all.

I think that's a testament to Tatiana's talent that I can hate her Sarah character but like her other characters :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.