Favorite new show: Orphan Black on BBC America

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How far in are you? The Sarah character really evolves as the season progresses.

spewey likes this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was flipping channels the other day and saw an episode in progress that I think was the last season finale. It made me realize how lost I'm going to be next week unless they do a great job with the recap. It has been almost a year.

norman_frappe likes this.
  3. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I've only seen three episodes...so I'm just getting started. Good to hear Sarah evolves....as I'm sure anyone would in THAT situation! :D

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Well, as I feared, the brief recap made me feel a little lost at the beginning of the season premiere. Maybe that is my reason for lack of enthusiasm. I thought it was a good episode but below anything I saw last year. And I'm a little worried it may get too ridiculous and I may start to lose interest.

5. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I rewatched the last two episodes from season 1 as my recap. The opening minutes in the diner were great, and then there were some other moments (Alison especially) which were bright, but overall I was a bit disappointed. I'm not worried like you are about the life of the series. So far, they've dished out enough of the "conspiracy" not to follow into X-Files or Lost - like traps. And the big WTF moment at the end already has precedence in the series. All characters had their moment in this episode, so with that out of the way I'm hoping they'll get back to storytelling.

6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Just got into this, with my wife, about a week ago, and binge watched the first season in as much time. Watched the Season 2 opener a little earlier tonite. It has the pace of Breaking Bad, with some humor thrown in. (Remember the scene where Mrs. White first confronts Jesse at his house- and does the 'yo' bit?). The Allison character presents enormous laughs, but ultimately,what makes this work is the obvious contrast among the different personalities of each clone. Not sure where it is going, plotwise, but so far, I'm totally in for the ride. (My wife loves it too).

7. chacha

Watched the last episode of season 1 last night (which I loved and was great to see again) to refresh before watching season 2 premiere tonight . I was pretty disappointed in this first episode which felt really Americanized and more like typical TV . I was over looking at Television Without Pity and everyone was lovin it over there so I'm clearly alone in this but I hope the show finds it's way back. The first season was my favorite show last year.

8. We've still got a few more days to wait for here in the UK, and so far I've managed to avoid spoilers for the first episode (well, apart from a rather big one I correctly predicted and the supposed change in tone a lot of people have mentioned), though I have been watching through BBC Three's currently ongoing repeats of the first season. After copying over the Region 1 DVD to my PSP, I've spent the last few months watching Orphan Black again and again while on the go, so I'm really hoping this ends up being a series that either remains consistent or improves with every passing year - even if it doesn't, I'm confident that Tatiana Maslany will continue to earn any further awards that may come her way.

Does anybody else think it's annoying that UK fans are being made to wait for the next DVD? Sure, most were expecting the second season to be shown in August as it was last year, so I do appreciate that we're now only a few weeks behind our American counterparts, which probably happened to limit any plot spoling going on between various international "Clone Club" members such as myself and the other half. Indeed, it's been a long time since we both shared so much enthusiasm for anything on the box, with the exception of perhaps The Big Bang Theory. Our fingers are definitely crossed that all eight planned seasons and a feature film are made, as I couldn't begin to imagine this series with a conclusion that's not everything its creators originally intended.

P.S. Have the US ratings for S2E1 been revealed yet? I'm curious to know if the #cloneclub phenomenon helped spread the word to new converts... I certainly can't imagine it doing any harm!

9. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Mrs. S is much more of a badass than I expected.

10. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I told the family near the end of last season that Mrs. S seemed to be ex-IRA or something and if anyone messed with Kira, then she would would step up.

11. Bender Rodriguez

Ex IRA is a good guess.

12. Bender Rodriguez

This show is every bit as good as Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. I can't believe it's not generating more discussion here.

13. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

For some reason, the show flew below the radar during the 1st season, but it now seems to be catching a buzz in media-land. I agree that it is pretty riveting, and on occasion, hilarious.

14. There's just forty minutes left now until the first episode of season two airs here in the UK... I can't wait!

15. Bender Rodriguez

Tatiana Maslany is amazing and the effects are seamless. You never get the "Patty Duke effect" where it's obvious you are watching a split-screen. It's easy to forget that you're watching the same actress playing multiple roles.

16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I've been watching this and I agree that the whole "one actress playing multiple roles" is the most seemless I've ever seen.

One interesting point is that not all the clones have to be the same age. After all... they're not twins, or triplets, or dodecatuplets or whatever. Heck the original genetic material to create the clones could be from a 70 year old or a young child.

They've implied that the little girl is special... I hope they don't get too destracted by that story before they give us more info about the clones. I'm having a difficult time remembering whats happening week to week as it is. This show could be great or it could go over the top and jump the shark very easily.

17. chacha

Love the first season so much. I've been really disappointed with the first two episodes of season 2. It feels really Americanized , self conscious and action driven. I seem to be alone in this because everyone else seems to love it. I hope the show finds it's way back to the original tone for me.

Bender Rodriguez and tonyc like this.
  18. *WARNING: SPOILER ALERT*

Well, after spending the last few months terrified the second season would be a disappointment, I've just finished watching the first episode and was absolutely stunned by how much they've ramped up the action. With all the main characters now established, it seems we fans are in for a treat as the Proletheans have their side of the story fleshed out, plus it's great to see both Alison and Felix continuing to provide some well-needed comic relief. I especially liked Sarah posing as Cosima, though it's too bad we couldn't get to see Art's reaction when she explained the clones to him (well, I'm assuming that's what happened - what else could it be?) and while this may not be that big a deal to everyone overseas, I noticed that BBC Three has kept the preview of next week's episode that I saw after importing the US DVD... as if they expected me to wait for such a gripping show to be released over here!

By the way, did anybody else think it was amazing how the passing of several months between filming seasons doesn't appear to have affected the show at all? The continuity staff have done a great job, allowing me to become fully immersed in the story, joining the cast as they hit the ground running while almost forgetting that it was way back in September last year when I first fell in love with Orphan Black. I'm gutted we'll have to wait that bit longer for the next season, but why should I complain when the fun's just beginning? As I said before, it would be a crime if Tatiana Maslany doesn't pick up more awards soon, and I really hope the plan for eight seasons and a movie works out. I'll be curious to see the ratings, as I suspect this is one a lot of people are going to discover later. Thankfully, I can say I that along with my other half, I was there from the start. For now...

Yours truly,

#cloneclub member 324B21 ;)

Bender Rodriguez and holy-well like this.
  19. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

You're not alone. I probably said this several posts ago but I'll say it again as it's relevant. In the very first episode Sarah picks up Beth's cell phone. She and Felix are in a restaurant and the phone rings. Sarah reaches for it and Felix tells her not to answer. After a few rings she ignores it. That was the point I knew the series was in good hands. Well to back up when I heard John Fawcett was co-creator I knew it was worth watching as Ginger Snaps is one of my favorite horror films of the past 20 years because it is intelligent and character driven. I enjoyed the other co-creator's big film The Cube as well, but not as much.

So back to your comment - this season has had several typical TV moments. Art brings Sarah into a dangerous spot where they suspect her daughter is, and then he handcuffs a well-connected guy. Results - Sarah is kidnapped and Art is suspended. The whole Cal storyline makes sense when a lot of thought is put into it, but it's thrown into the plot awkwardly. The chemistry between her and Cal, past notwithstanding, is off.

This fourth episode is the first one where I feel they regained footing. Sarah's taking ballsy chances but they make sense. Mrs S. is now a character they can follow independently of the main cast. The conspiracy gets deeper, but only after questions are answered. The one thing I'd like to discuss is who T-boned Sarah and the Dyad agent? I got the feeling that Cal did it based on the things he said at the top of the episode. But his truck wasn't damaged. My wife thought it was a hit and run and Cal came across the scene later. It fooled me as as how would Cal have time to get their daughter to a safe place, and then intersect them. And a hit and run at that speed wouldn't be able to run. Thoughts?

Also to stray off-topic, I was looking forward to the time travel part 4 of the Sci-Fi series that's aired after Orphan Black this season. Anyone know when they plan on airing it? It's not on the sched for next week, either.

Mark

20. Bender Rodriguez

Last night's was the best episode of the season. I was lukewarm at best on this season, but last night restored my faith in the show.

RexKramer likes this.
  21. Bender Rodriguez

I thought the Prolethians impregnated Helena, but apparently they just harvested her eggs?

22. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

That's what I got out of it. There was a false set-up to make you think one way, but then the reveal proved the other.

23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree the last episode may have been the best of this season so far and I will keep watching. I guess I miss the innocence of the first season discovering new clones and learning about them. This season is more one giant chase scene.

24. chacha

Episode 4 started to restore my faith in the show but this weeks episode 5 kicked it to the curb. What a contrived mess. Heavy handed direction, music pumping though the entire show, lame writing. Everything feeling so self conscious, forced and pretentious. Oh well.

25. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree with much of this but I like the last couple of episodes in that things seem to be coming more into focus and everyone's allegiances are being defined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.