Favorite new show: Orphan Black on BBC America

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I loved the first two seasons and agree Tatiana is fantastic. But, they lost me with that third season and I never went back.

2. I think they lost quite a few viewers with the third season... I very nearly gave up on the show at that point, but the fan community seemed to be enthusiastic for the latest season, and I'm grateful I gave it another chance. Unfortunately, it seems as if a lot of faith was lost behind the scenes, as I recall the producers discussing a plan for eight seasons and a movie to tie up any loose ends - now they've confirmed the fifth season will be its last, with no further talk of a movie. Unless the ending is a major anticlimax (which I doubt, unless the story is brought to a more rapid conclusion than its characters deserve, and that's a very real possibility), it looks as if that blip in the middle will end up being a one-off. I'm really going to miss Orphan Black!

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You really should give the 4th season a chance. It's nearly as good as the first, and arguably a good deal better than the second.

4. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I may give it a shot, as long I don't have to rewatch number 3.

5. wolfram

You don't. They seemed to have tried to refer as little as possible to S3.

6. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Finally, and well-deserved!

Congratulations Tatiana.

goodiesguy, Mazzy, Aggie87 and 3 others like this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Huh???

8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

She won the Emmy

goodiesguy, wolfram and slipkid like this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Oh, I had no idea what you meant! That's cool. Well deserved.

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The 4th season is pretty great overall, but I have to admit that they lost me occasionally with the music. There are a few scenes (specifically, the one where Donny's arrested) where the score just ruins it.

Pretty happy with Maslany winning, though. As a Canadian, I was required to care about that. :)

11. wolfram

About bloody time. Well done, Sestra!

So, did she hand the price over to herself?

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'm hooked !

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished S04,
    cool show !!!

wolfram likes this.
  14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

15. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Just started watching this, halfway through Season 1, it's really good!

Bender Rodriguez and wolfram like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

ShardEnder and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  17. I really hope the writers decide to tie up the loose end of what exactly Kira's "gifts" are, though I suspect this particular angle will now be dropped (along with other similar clues to superhumans possibly existing in this universe that were established during the earlier seasons, which I'll avoid discussing any further just yet to prevent giving away too much) in favour of simply giving us a solid conclusion moving beyond the misfire that was the third season. I'm also curious to know if we'll ever see the movie that was one talked about, not to mention whether any of the other ideas planned for the original eight-season run are going to be recycled in the upcoming third series of IDW's comic book spin-off. While I've never been completely alienated by this show's many turns, I did come close to giving up on two very particular occasions, but I'll remain committed for the ending and keep my fingers crossed that the door is kept open to a potential return should everyone feel their collective batteries have been sufficiently recharged, a few things on television have managed to hook me the same way as Orphan Black when it's been on form. Tatiana Maslany is ridiculously versatile, and while I've said this before, there were so many instances where I had to remind myself all these diverse characters are being played by the same talented person - for all its shortcomings, I'm going to miss this journey once it's over! At least we'll still have the Blu-ray set for those of us who want to join Clone Club on a repeat trip any time in the future...

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would be really surprised if they do a movie. The show is just too niche for the movie to be successful, even if it was done on a shoestring budget. And they would have to go 'big' for a theatrical release and I'm not sure the material is that well suited for such a thing.

I would be happy if they just focus on making S5 as good as or better than S4. Keep the plot relatively simple - don't introduce a cascading new series of bad guys, etc. Stick with what we already know and focus on the main characters & clones that leads to satisfying conclusion.

chacha likes this.
  19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Agree. This show would not make for a good movie. No way you could write something for so many characters that would be able to develop in a complete and satisfactory way in a two hour time limit.

I think Season 5 will be good. They seemed to figure out their mistakes and corrected them in Season 4 so they should be able to keep the momentum going.

It is just a question of how to end it.

chacha likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Here's the official S5 trailer:

Tim Wilson and jpelg like this.
  21. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^Holy shiznit - I got chills!

Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering when the new season was going to start.

22. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Watching this now for the first time - slogging through series 3. Best part of this season so far is seeing Agricola getting some screen time.

23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

DirecTV is listing a four minute preview on June 4th and the season premiere on June 7th.

24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The four minute preview last night did not provide very much. June 7th appears to be a one hour series review. June 10th is the season premiere as stated.

25. wolfram

Attack of the Clones! I can't wait. :goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.