Favorite records you're convinced NO ONE on the forum knows about

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Denti, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denti

Denti Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you name a favorite record that you don't think anyone on the forums here will have even heard of? Nothing that is just obscure, but you don't really like. I mean a record you think is excellent, or better.

It doesn't count if someone googles the record AFTER reading someone's post. You have to be honest here.

Mine would be a 7" EP by an obscure indie band called The Sweet Things, released in 1992 on the White Heap label, and later even reissued along with the band's other EPs on a CD called Lo-Fi is not a 4-letter Word. The EP is called "Deliver."

Great Lo-Fi indie goodness. Seek it out!

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

3. mudtheotter

mudtheotter New Member

Juned - Every Night for You

Awesome alternative all female band.

Leviethan likes this.
  4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Trojan Ponies - Nutin' Honey. Got this promo 7" at the store i ran about 21 years ago. Never seen anything else by 'em but boy does this record rock! If you like The Breeders you'll probably dig this. I actually uploaded this to YouTube a year or two ago.

nightmoves, popscene and ringosshed like this.
  5. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Skin Games - The Blood Rush (1989)

This was actually in a Top 90 List I made recently - due to the content, but also nostalgia and a bit of history on how I came upon it long ago. I'd be surprised if anyone in the forum knew it unless you're in the UK or Europe and enjoyed Alt / Indie back in the late 1980's:

[​IMG]

Parade (no links that I can share)

Alt rock unsigned band, found them on MySpace :hide: back around 2006 or so. Snagged a few MP3's of another site (possibly mp3.com? I don't remember anymore) but they never had a CD release that I could actually purchase.

Songs: "A New Day", "Breakdown", "So Gone", "The One You're Dreaming Of". Every once in a while I re-search as I would buy a CD / LP from them in a heartbeat, but I have no idea what ever happened to the band. Plus the band name is so common it's hard to do searches for them.

EDIT: Well well well -- they reformed as "Darktown Jubilee" and there's a YT video with a re-recording of "Breakdown":

Time to go searching for that band instead! :)

sublemon likes this.
  6. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

I'm sure I mentioned this before on another thread, but I'll throw this in here, also. Trey Gunn's band from when he was in college, Punishment Farm, put out a cassette-only release "P-Farm's Greatest Hits."

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I posted a thread about a song called "Cherrybelle" by British singer/songwriter Chris Neal. It's one of my favorite records and has a very interesting theme in that a high school student is hot for a girl who turns out to be lesbian. The lyrics are great and the tune is very catchy. So I happen to know that no one here knows about it because the only response I got was from Chris' nephew who found the post searching for his uncles name on the internet.

So I'll test the waters with this one, which is a tad more common. It's a great and fairly obscure private pressing power pop meets Spector record:

Love What a Feeling/Baby Hold On by Stars in the Sky and the Milky Way Band (David and Dan Kessel, Barney's sons)

Love What a Feeling

Baby Hold On

bibijeebies likes this.
  8. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Well, there is always SOMEONE on this forum who knows Something. About Anything. But how I love this album. Funky as hell. It has the spook, as one of the greats (guess who) would say.

"Now and Then" by Rusty Kershaw. Yes Neil Young and Ben Keith guest on it, but the real star is Rusty (formerly of Rusty & Doug). RIP, Rusty!

MI0001569081.jpg

PonceDeLeroy and melstapler like this.
  9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

A couple more to see if anyone is paying attention.

The Chanter Sisters who did a lot of back up singing in the 60s and 70s had several GREAT singles in the late 60s as The Chanters (they later became Birds of a Feather). I find it hard to believe that some of them didn't become huge on the Northern Soul circuit.

Mississippi Paddle Boat (written by the great and obscure John Pantry)

Every Night (I Sit and Cry)

GeddyLeeFan likes this.
  10. See my avatar.

11. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

Wipers - Youth of America (1981)

I know at least someone on this board must know and possibly like this album, but by and large, I think it still remains not well known.

12. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

The Wigs - File Under Pop Vocal. A great power pop band from Milwaukee circa 1982. My friends and I were able to get in the bars when we were seniors in high school and had great time seeing them live.

Dave Larr likes this.
  13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Bevinda Alegria

Bevinda sings in an original style, blending a bit of Portuguese fado and related material with French sounding small band (guitar, bass, drums, accordion, flute) arrangements. It is not generic or overly artsy but the arrangements with her backing band are lively and interesting. She has an especially yearning and enticing voice too. Fatum, Terra E Ar and Chuva de Anjos are also great. I haven't seen any reference to her on this site except from me.

bevinda.jpg

kellys likes this.
  14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Does anyone know this amazing album...?

618784.jpg

15. Denti

Denti Forum Resident Thread Starter

No, the Wipers are practically mainstream :)

The Trojan Ponies, now that's what I'm talking about. Not even on Rateyourmusic!

drasil and nodeerforamonth like this.
  16. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

First Time Out. James Montgomery Band. It's been kickin' ass since 1973.

tvstrategies and stackswim like this.
  18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

stepaside.jpg

patrickd likes this.
  19. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

There are other Irish people on this forum as well. A good choice. How about a plug for Sonny Condell/Scullion.

carrolls likes this.
  20. junk

junk Hellion

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I picked that CD up for €5.00, signed by all of the members including the late Paul Ashford. Thats a rare one.
    Scullion were a great band too.

22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Chris Christian's 1981 debut, Far Cry-The More Things Change, Glad-Captured in Time, Andrus Blackwood and Co-Step Out of the Night

23. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

I get the feeling about something no one has heard every time I listen to a record. granted most on this forum have or currently listen to vinyl, most in the world don't. in fact, I would go so far as to say most people don't even listen to albums (CD/MP3) without skipping tracks. if I can't listen start to finish then I don't want the album. its not quite what the OP asked, but there is nothing out there someone on this forum doesn't know.

listening to the mono Beatles CDs and even though I heard the box went platinum (so much for limited), most people have never heard it like this unless they grew up in that era. it feels special listening to this.

24. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Galliano is a true genius. He excels in so many different formats. This was me gateway, so my favorite.

melstapler likes this.
  25. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

The Badge - Touch. The Badge were the Japanese Jam (I hate the fact that there are so many bands that are "The Japanese _____," but that's how they describe themselves, so I guess I'll go with it.) Utterly spectacular power pop album all the way through...power pop bands have a tendency to have three great tracks and 10 mediocre ones, but this thing is front to back great.

Dreamies. A Beatles obsessed experimental musician named Bill Holt writes the great lost White Album track, stretches it into 50 minutes with a Tubular Bells approach of multiple parts and odd diversions, and loads it with samples...in 1974. I can not fathom the insane amount of time and effort that must have been involved in making this thing without the benefit of digital technology, or even a major label budget (this was a vanity release.)

http://youtu.be/yMxcP12U26U

Don Galluchi was the drummer for The Standells just towards the end of their run. After that, he tried his hand at producing. He only did two albums: The Stooges' Funhouse, and the eponymous album by beer rock band Stepson.

http://youtu.be/QVq712OjYoc

When I die, I want to be buried in Nina Persson's voice.

http://youtu.be/RNJqplyjRk0

RonBaker, melstapler and enocaster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.