Favorite scenes in comedy movies ...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ben Sinise, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

So that's where that line comes from! I've been saying it for years and i never knew where it was from. :thumbsup:

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Woody Allen's Hanna and Her Sisters - Max Von Sydow comments on watching tele-evangelists - "If Jesus came to earth today and he watched this he would throw up and never stop"

3. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Harold & Maude-Ever scene that Harold commits another mock suicide. Particularly the opening scene where he pretends to hang himself. His mother walks in and out of the room ignoring him for the most part. Then she turns to him and says "Dinner at 8, Harold...And try to be a little more vivacious." The other scene that really sticks out in my mind is when another of his blind dates comes over and he fakes setting himself on fire in the backyard!!!

Private Benjamin-Another one of my all time favorites with lots of hilarious scenes. I love the scene when she's(Goldie Hawn) up in the plane and refuses to jump out of the plane with the other paratroopers and Col. Thornbush(Robert Webber) tells her she doesn't have to jump and he starts coming on to her and jumps out of the plane to get away from him!! She's screaming on the way down and says "Oh God please open!!" and the chute finally opens and she let's out that big sigh. Hysterical!!!

Airplane-I know everyone has mentioned this one, but the scene that always puts me on the floor is the one with the two jive talking brothers, and Barbara Billingsley goes over to translate what they're saying!!

9 To 5-When Dolly Parton tells Dabney Coleman that she's gonna "change him from a rooster to a hen with one shot" if he doesn't stop spreading innuendo about them having an affair.

Money Talks- This is another movie that is just non stop laughs as far as I'm concerned. I love the scene where Chris Tucker phones in a bomb threat to a night club when Charlie Sheen fails to gain entrance to that establishment.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The entire driving sequence in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles when John Candy plays "dashboard keyboards" to Ray Charles, then proceeds to get the arms to his coat tangled on the seat release, steers with his thighs, spins out on the ice, continues down the highway in the wrong direction, drives between the two giant 24 wheelers, Steve Martin looks over at John Candy, and he sees him as the devil. "You're going the wrong way" "How do they know that we are going the wrong way?" THe first time I saw that, I was literally rolling on the floor :laugh:

Kevin Kline in I Love You To Death "Ladies, Mon-op-oly"

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Blues Brothers - "How much for the women"?

Three Amigos - Singing bushes

Blazing Saddles - "I Get a Kick Out of You"

Up in Smoke - Rocking Van

Rutles - "Musta been the trousers"

Airplane - Inflate the AutoPilot"

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

"Wheat! I'm dead, they're talking about wheat!" :D

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I forgot about Love And Death! Classic Woodster movie!

Evan

8. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Lebowski -- “You said, it man. Nobody &%$@ with the Jesus!"

In-Laws -- "Serpentine, Shel, serpentine!"

one of the Panther movies -- "Special delivery, a bomb. Were you expecting one?"

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The "stateroom" scene in A Night At The Opera.

"Come right in!" :laugh:

Another great line: "Either there are cops in the Il Travatore, or the jig is up!" :laugh:

Evan

10. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

John Cusack is one of my favorites, here's a couple faves from "Say Anything":

"She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen."--Lloyd

"I met her in a mall. I should have known our relationship was doomed."--Lloyd

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought or processed, or repair anything sold, bought or processed--you know--as a career. I don't want to do that. My father's in the Army. He wants me to join, but I can't work for that corporation. Um...so what I've been doing lately is kickboxing, which is a new sport, but I think it's got a good future."--Lloyd

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I was just talking about this film with the writer of "Bruce Almighty" and we both agreed that it was the "Gub" scene that was the classic! But he did love that scene, too, as do I...

"Midnight Run" - "Put the cigarette out" in the bus.

"Grumpy Old Men" - When they forget what they're fighting about on the frozen lake.

"Annie Hall" - Waiting on line re: The Fellini Film

"The Jerk" - "I don't need anything... except for this..." scene as he's leaving.

"Arthur" - He takes a hooker out to dinner.

"Flirting with Disaster" - The end sequence including armpit licking.

"Bananas" - Sleeping with his ex-girlfriend as The Dictator and revealing it's really him - Fielding Melish ("I knew there was something missing").

"National Lampoon's Vacation" - Getting caught in the pool with Christie Brinkley.

"Lost In America" - Explaining the "nest egg" to Gary Marshall and how to change the image of Vegas.

"A Night At The Opera" - Groucho going over the contract with Chico - "You can't fool me..."

"Airplane" - "You can tell me, I'm a doctor."

JEFF!

12. Captain Groovy

Played aptly by... Randy Newman!

JEFF!

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

"Mongo Likes Candy"..........................................................................BOOM!

(I guess you could insert the entire Blazing Saddles script into this thread!

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Who's that? :laugh:

So many good scenes in Blazing Saddles: "We offer you this laurel--and hardy handshake!"

But we've had a thread on that before.....

Evan Johnson

15. Captain Groovy

Ah, yes, but the best line?

RE: Death:

"What's it like?"

"What's it like, er, uh... You know the chicken at Tresky's restaurant? It's worse."

JEFF!

16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The whole blind hermit sequence with Gene Hackman in Young Frankenstein.

"Don't inhale until the tip glows."

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

"What fabulous knockers" "Why thank you Herr Doctor!" :laugh:

Evan

18. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The scene in The President's Analyst where James Coburn goes to William Daniels's house.

"The neighbors are real right-wingers...damn Nazis...oughta be gassed!"

19. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

"Oh sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!!!"-Madeline Kahn in "Young Frankenstein"

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

"My grandfather's work is doo-doo!"-Young Frankenstein

Evan

21. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

The restaurant scene in "The Odd Couple" where the air conditioning messes w/ Felix's sinuses and he makes "the noise" to clear them out. I love watching Oscar's discomfort w/ all the attention it brings them.

The scene in "Bringing Up Baby" where David & Susan start wading across a pond she tells him is shallow and when they get to the middle they sink in over their heads. They come back up and head back to the shore they started from and Susan asks, "Are we across yet?". The dinner sequence at her aunt's house where "Baby" starts misbehaving.

22. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Aurthur- When he is looking for Linda and he knocks on what he thinks is her door. Perry's wife answers and scares the #$%@% out of him.

23. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

Blazing Saddles, "Someone go back and get a whole *****load of dimes."

Yet a scene that kills me everytime is in Pet Detective II when Jim Carey is stuck in the mechanical Rhino.

24. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Lots of great comedy moments already mentioned here.

I will add the Alien spoof scene from Mel Brooks' Spaceballs, where the beast bursts out of somebody's chest only to do a cabaret tune:)

25. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Something about Mary: Bathroom zipper scene
    Son is it the pork or beans that's stuck
    or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.