Favourite Version of Holst's The Planets?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hole Got Fixed, Nov 15, 2013.

1. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi Thread Starter

I have probably heard them all. In terms of readings most tend to play Jupiter far too quickly as if it's a race to get to the end. I have for many years favored the Dutoit and Susskind versions and give the nod to Walter Susskind for an almost perfect version and AMAZING conics. Sonically Previn's is marvelous but a flawed interpretation.
    Opinions?

Lightworker and Dino like this.
  2. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

The EMI Boult. The Dutoit is my favorite from the digital era. I'm also fond of Bernstein, Steinberg and Haitink. Among others.

crispi, Trevor_Bartram and Robin L like this.
  3. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Ormandy/Philadelphia
    (For performance/interpretation more than sound quality)

4. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Tomita

jerol

Jerquee, Lonecat, klockwerk and 10 others like this.
  5. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Have any of you heard the version put out by Mobile Fidelity on LP? Your opinion on the sonics and interpretation?

Thank you.

6. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Malcolm Sargeant
    Stokowski
    Boult Westminster LP,EMI stereo,HMV/RCA 78
    Herbert von Karajan on Decca/London
    In sort of that order.

Robin L likes this.
  7. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

How about a 5.1 mix, any consensus there?

8. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

I was fortunate to be at the MSO/ Dutoit recording sessions in St. Eustache (outside Montreal)...and at end of the day I'd go home and listen to my VanKarajan recording on DGG....after the sessions i approached Dutoit and told him that he had a "winner" here. He smiled and thanked me for my comments....maybe I am partial to that recording because I was there...but since then I've auditioned many recordings and the MSO/Dutoit is still tops in my ears.
    A bit of trivia here... They recorded the last movement first due to the availability of the chorus members.

9. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

The Dutoit recording was the first I heard and is still my go to version. Am curious though to hear what the best sounding release (on cd) of this particular recording might be.

Also Boult's last recording is really great. Have it on a cd coupled with a equally great Elgar's Enigma Variations.

crispi, Jupiter and Robin L like this.
  10. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

Still no mention of Andre Previn conducting London Symphony Orchestra on EMI? That's my favourite, and it's recorded very well.

There's another recording with Previn and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on Telarc but I've never heard it.

deredordica, jwjeffrey and Fafner88 like this.
  11. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Dark horse: Boston Symphony/Ozawa [Philips].

12. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Boult, either the Vienna State Opera Orchestra or New Philharmonia Orchestra recordings. I like the slower pace.

Daryl Bullis likes this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have most of the previous mentioned copies, but my all time favorite is the Bernstein NY Philharmonic SQ quad pressing. I love it.​

klockwerk likes this.
  14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Look for the one with The London Philharmonic.That's the mono Westminster verision.I'm just spinning it again.It's a winner.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The 1956 Boult recorded by Pye/Nixa issued in the USA on Westminster is my favorite. Alas, mono only.

16. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Has anyone heard the Bernard Herrmann version on Phase 4? It has historically received bad reviews. I wonder if it is as bad as some have said. He tended to conduct at slower tempos during this, um, phase of his career.

17. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I have this but I didn't like it very much. It's been ages but I don't remember why. Memory tells me that it lacks energy.

18. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

I can't say much about the interpretation, but the sound of the MFSL UHQR "The Planets" is volcanic hell.

19. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Two other very fine recordings that weren't mentioned is the Levine/CSO and Gardiner/Philharmonia both on DG, and they are both sonically spectacular.

A very interesting but less known recording is Davis with the BPO on Philips, which noteworthy for its very warm and natural sonics (and of course the orchestra), less for Davis' conducting which is OK but pretty ordinary.

[​IMG]

But musically, I think that Boult on EMI is the greatest. I absolutely love his slower then usual tempos on Mars and Jupiter.

wayneklein likes this.
  20. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Oh, and I forgot the recent Jurowski/LPO, a bit too fast but it's a very beautiful recording.

21. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

22. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Sir Adrian Boult/New Philharmonia, the 1966 EMI recording.

[​IMG]

The later (1978) Boult recording has opulent sound, but the performance is more laboured.

Magnificent thing.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  23. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

There's a lot more to Holst than just 'The Planets'. In terms of genius and technical ability there's almost no-one to top him. Despite his massive modesty and refusal to compromise or play to anyone's gallery, he knew it.

If you love The Planets you should at least also hear:

The Perfect Fool (The ballet music, stunning fireworks with an ice-cool centre section)
    Egdon Heath (late, Thomas Hardy inspired piece, an earthbound, bleak, but nonetheless riveting piece)
    The Hymn Of Jesus (Hugely mystical choral piece, the man at the peak of his powers)
    Beni Mora (early period Moroccan inspired three piece suite, very much on the path to The Planets)
    Psalm 86 (beautiful early-music inspired setting with incredible dynamics)

Boult's Decca recordings of the first two from the late 1950's are definitive.

[​IMG]

'Beni Mora' was done beautifully for Lyrita on this essential disc:

[​IMG]

Daddy Dom, crispi, duggan and 3 others like this.
  24. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

My favorite is the Zubin Mehta/Los Angeles Philharmonic version. I can't quite put my finger on
    why but that's the one for me.