Fear The Walking Dead - amc Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Apr 30, 2015.

1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I could see the second season taking place in some kind of militarized LA that is defending itself from outside forces/"skinbags", but I'm not sure if they have the budget to pull that off. The benefit of setting the original series mostly in the woods is trees are cheap.

I'm really looking forward to the return of the REAL show.

2. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

He was not willing to divulge everything, he claimed not to know the meaning of the code word.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  3. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

^^ I'm glad someone agrees with me (I posted about it on page 17).
    Yeah, that soldier wasn't being completely honest, the torture worked (whether you agree with that method or not in real life).

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

When he said he was willing to tell them everything not only hadn't they started torturing him, but also they weren't aware of the code word or asking about it, so perhaps the torture was counter productive and the reason he held out about the evacuation was because they'd already tortured him so he thought why tell them and actually held back information in response to the torture, England stopped torture nearly 500 years ago because even then it was realised it doesn't work. I'm sure the daughter could have persuaded him to divulge all the information just as easily and without any violence.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    trem two likes this.
  5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Maybe. But IMO it is also the one thing anyone with half a brain would try to do in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse - get AWAY from large centers of population with no means to sustain themselves without a working "system" and potential hordes of undead behind every corner ........ plus it is cheaper to shoot :D

6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I haven't seen a reason to add to this discussion in a few weeks because there is no reason to pile on what has already been stated. My final comment is, I look forward to seeing the last episode so I can delete this from my DVR and move on. Season 2 of a series is usually the low point as they try to morph the show into a longer story. I can't really imagine how much worse S2 of FTWD will be after this disappointment. I actually feel sorry for the actors that were caught up in this mess.

This show was such a lost opportunity. As stated, instead of showing us the early days they wasted time on a clueless dysfunctional family playing monopoly, with no chemistry and bad writing. They didn't show us how civilization deteriorated. They are obviously milking TWD and creating TWD West and I'm not interested. Hopefully this will not detract from the real show, TWD.

Rubber65 and Scott222C like this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

They really need to ramp up the final episode to make the series worthwhile going into Season 2.

Just watched Kim Dickens in Gone Girl this week and loved her performance. Didn't realize it was her at first as her hair is darker.

Mazzy likes this.
  8. She is great in this and Gone Girl and Sons of Anarchy and many more shows.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Late response, I know, but I am just catching up. I thought that was a great device. Everything about the set-up had me thinking it was someone trying to communicate to the town via signalling/morse code. Only when Cliff went and checked it out in person at the end did you hear the faint report that revealed that the light was muzzle flairs from executions being performed in the house. It was a great set-up and payoff.

Lownote30 likes this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I need to watch the end again as I missed that.

11. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

AMC has completely lost me. Endless self-promotion: I don't care nor need to see the overlay of the season finale promo for FTWD on every show they broadcast until said finale airs.
    Station deleted from favorites: buh-bye...

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

All in all it's been mostly uninteresting.

13. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I just think that the creators really missed a golden opportunity here........if they had paced the story slowly from the first "reports" and had Travis or one of the main characters work in the healthcare industry (hospital ER, health department, CDC, etc...), they could have really told a fantastic story all while keeping the series true to the original with character development and then ramping up the horror/suspense aspect as they went along. I really believe that's what everyone wants to see. As long as the story and characters are good, there would be absolutely no trouble stretching the story along for several seasons. It seems they ended up going the "impatient" route.

- Buck

Mr. H and Plinko like this.
  14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I would have liked to have seen more of the "mechanics" of the downfall of civilization too, but the producers will use the usual excuse that "it's all about the characters".

15. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

"When he said he was willing to tell them everything not only hadn't they started torturing him, but also they weren't aware of the code word or asking about it"

True but he was not forthcoming about the fact that the the military was planning to kill everyone.

"so perhaps the torture was counter productive and the reason he held out about the evacuation was because they'd already tortured him so he thought why tell them and actually held back information in response to the torture"

Maybe, who knows.

"England stopped torture nearly 500 years ago because even then it was realised it doesn't work."

I'm sure the British Government has not tortured anyone in the last 500 years.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Where do you get the military are planning to kill everyone, they can't even kill all the walkers, I thought they were just pulling out and leaving them to their own devices, possibly bombing the city, but not every square inch of the suburbs.

The whole torture scene was just to make Ruben Blades character seem like the sort of person who will do whatever it takes, perhaps setting him up as future group leader just as the scene where the father wouldn't shoot the waitress was an equally contrived and pointless scene to make him seem weak, what's the betting that the father at least will change completely next season. It's all part of the concentrate on the characters and not the actual mechanism of the collapse approach, like others if that's the route we're taking I wish the characters were more appealing.

The "British Government" hasn't tortured people, it's representatives certainly have, but they would have been acting illegally, personally I like living in a state where torture isn't legal, there are far too many where it's still used.

17. The final episode made it all worthwhile. Wow.

thegage and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  18. It's great to watch the talking dead show tonight discussing about the family story unfolding. I agree there were some dialogue issues but we knew more that these characters.

Great season finale.

19. Is everyone asleep ?

20. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

They might be dead. :sigh:

Mazzy likes this.
  21. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

At least not in their own country ..........

22. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Well, the final episode redeemed the series. Acting was a lot better and the writing seemed a lot more focused. Now we're getting a better idea as to where things are heading. I see the father coming out of his shell, especially after he beat the **** out of that soldier. He's realized that his world is not orderly but is in chaos and his actions are mirroring what is going on, although he still needs to balance his self-control. Had it not been for his girlfriend, he probably would have beat the soldier to death. The rich guy is going to be good for this group. He seems to know what needs to be done, for the better of the group as a whole, always thinking one step ahead, especially when the kid asked him if they could stay at his house and he says no. If the writer's keep this momentum going, the second season will be very interesting. As a side note, I just loved it when the camera slowly focuses on 2000 walkers coming towards the compound. You'd think that the army had heavier weaponry though than simple small arms. Throw a grenades in the crowd use rocket launchers and dispatch a dozens upon dozens. I would have put bouncing bettys all around the perimeter for good measure, and opened up with the 50 cal. Anyway, good season finale all around.

Hawklord, F_C_FRANKLIN and Mazzy like this.
  23. Hey, at least theare is still Better Call Saul, and with any redemption left in the world, Preacher should be great, if not intriguing.

But what station doesn't promote themselves endlessly?

Back on topic, though: that none of the main characters got eaten by a single zombie during that whole collapse of the military is pretty far fetched, really. They all suddenly turned into seasoned zombie killers, pretty damned quick in the kitchen - someone appearing just at the right to save the other from getting their asses munched.

Then later you have the reveal that Travis' ex got bit during the fight. Okay, that "plot twist" has never been done before. :rolleyes: So, Travis decides to killer her, himself. I leaned over to my wife and said, "Yeah, I bet he's been wanting to do that for years." :nyah: And then Travis proves my point when he doesn't shoot her in the back of the head - a mercy killing, with respect. Nope! With her facing him and him facing her, he puts one right between her eyes. :doh:

I've got an easy answer for the military's seemingly easy collapse, though. It dawned on me, like "DUH!" Elementary, most of the US military - and their real heavy armament - are overseas in Afghanistan, Iraq and places like that, probably fighting zombies of their own. That's not to mention a lot of troops are stationed in other places, e.g. South Korea, Germany, etc. On the mainland, you've got to take into consideration reservists, new recruits, et all; there's just not a lot of first-responders.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by what happens next. However, it really isn't a great show.

24. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I think the reason why he shot her between the eyes is that she wanted their son to think she did it herself. Shooting her in the back of the head would have made it obvious she didn't.

Stormrider77 and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  25. Maybe. But I've seen lot of suicides and in none of them were shot between the eyes (I used to work in my father's funeral homes). Neither to the back of the head. Fair point. The temple is the place to go.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.