Fender Guitars...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Rocker, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I've got a Mexican Fender Stratocaster that my friend gave me a few years ago.

A colleague of his had bought it for around £600 about a year earlier expecting to become Eric Clapton overnight. When this didn't happen, he approached Phil one day...

'you play guitar, don't you Phil?',
    'no, I'm a bass player, why?',
    'do you want to buy that Stratocaster I bought last year',
    'how much?',
    '£60',
    'don't be daft, I'll give you £80 for it!'

He came to our house that evening and threw the gig bag at me, telling me he'd got me a present! :)

It's currently out on tour with another friend of mine who needed an electric for a few songs in his set (he usually just plays acoustic).

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Pickups, scale, and tone circuits are all different- this covers it pretty well.

linclink likes this.
  3. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I have a Fender acoustic, a dreadnought, that I paid about $300 for. It's not bad for the money, but not great, either. It's pretty loud, though, which is good because I will take it outside unless it's too cold to play. It doesn't sound too good, but I can't complain about the neck.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

theres nothing wrong with a Squier. The guitar in this video started out as a Japanese 80s Squier, then got modified and hot rodded to my tastes. But still, it sounds like me playing it.

hi_watt, enro99, George Blair and 2 others like this.
  5. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I got two Fenders, both left handed. First is a Japanese 62 reissue Tele from 1987 and it's a fine guitar. The second, then, is a real Fender - a CLF era Music Man Sabre I from around 1979. It has active electronics, still in working condition. I generally dislike guitars that eat batteries but this is an exception, it's just too damn nice and rare. A great player, it has humbuckers with a phase switch and treble boost - pretty versatile sound-wise.

Fender Relic likes this.
  6. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Those 80's Japanese 62 RI Teles are really great. I've had a few over the years and wish I still had 'em.

stetsonic likes this.
  7. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Yep, they're built up to snuff. Even more so than some of the US Fenders of the Eighties I've seen. And they were quite common and cheap in the Nineties, sort of sleepers. I remember the Japanese made Squiers from the same era were more sought after back then.

8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Guitar virtuoso Jackie Phelps playing a pre-CBS Fender Jazzmaster pictured to the left of Joe Maphis
    [​IMG]

9. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I have 3 Fenders.

A late 80s Red Franken-Strat (Japanese parts but made in US during the time when they were starting up production again in the US).

A early 2010's 1962 AVRI Strat . US made. Good craftsmanship but needs to get modded in order to be usable in a live situation which renders its resale value useless.

A recent Mexican made Tele. Its actually a very well made instrument. Good for the Mexicans.

I would love a Custom Shop Mike Landau strat but there is not way I am spending $5k on a reliced guitar.

10. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

THAT is a gorgeous axe.

I've got a 91ish Deluxe Strat Plus. It has sentimental value to me (had to work all summer as a kid to buy it) but I prefer vanilla Strats.

My main guitar is an Alembic. After playing one for the first time, I knew I had to have one and knew I'd never buy another electric!

11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I think I have that one :). I got a box in the garage full of guitar, pedal steel,Dobro,instrumentals. Pete Drake,Lloyd Green,Shot Jackson,Buddy Emmons,Merle Travis,Joe Maphis,Jimmy Bryant,Thumbs Carlisle,etc,etc. It's been neglected and I need to get some of those LP's spinning!

12. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Happy me, it was new guitar day last week! For the first time in 25 years I have an electric, a 2016 made in Mexico Mustang 90. The 90 signifies P90 pickups so it doesn't have that standard Mustang twang or switching for better or worse. Strangely the guitar was advertised as used and came with a used price but upon arrival turned out to be brand spanking new wrapped in a nice unadvertised gig bag. Not bad for $400!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    petem1966 likes this.
  13. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

That guy's (Jackie Phelps) amazing and even played guitar in Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys for a spell. One versatile musician for sure.

melstapler likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i loved my tele, but i never had a strat as good as my ibanez blazer
    i think every guitarist on the planet has played a fender at some point, haven't they?

15. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

16. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

17. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Not a Fender

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The day will come when I (can) buy a Telecaster. That would be within the next 5 or 10 years.

19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Look far a set neck. And save, save, save.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I love my Fender Strat, American Standard and Fender Tele, MiM

21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Can you elaborate a bit? What model Tele has this?

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

23. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

FMTs, currently or recently.

But the dreamy ones are the early to mid 90s Custom Shop models. They were Page / Gene Baker era guitars and they just plain kill.

24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Thanks, wasn't aware of these. I would've expected a higher price for a set neck, not to mention the other features on these.

25. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Don't own any actual Fender guitars at this time, but I do own a USA Legacy and USA ASAT Classic, and a couple Strats I built. Also own one of the newer Charvel San Dimas guitars, which is basically a hot rod strat. Charvel is owned by Fender these days.......

I do own some Fender amps, 63 Deluxe/66 Bandmaster/Silverface Vibro champ

I previously have owned a 73 Fender Telecaster and a 92 Strat plus.
    I consider the Stratocaster the single best guitar design of all time.
    I also own a few non Fender related axes....about 15 guitars total...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.