Field Music new album 'Open Here', 2nd February 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Preview, which is very promising

[​IMG]

Band store vinyl is transparent, Rough Trade has an exclusive blue version (as well as the transparent).

2. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

I bloody love Field Music - they're a local band to me.

sound chaser and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Great news! Really love these guys!

4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Only found out about this yesterday. The vinyl is only £14.94 at Amazon UK at the time of writing.

5. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Picked my indie store copy up earlier and also got a pack of field music postcards too...nice! Just on my first spin and is sounds fantastic, so wide and well defined. I think it might be one of the best sounding records I’ve bought recently, a real joy for the ears! Music ain’t bad either, lol! I love the single that 6music have been playing loads, really gets into the brain and under the skin so hoping the rest of the album works it’s way in there too

6. PretzelLogic

Played it twice through. Sticking at 'underwhelming' for now, given how much I enjoyed Commontime and Plumb, but may just take a while to settle...

7. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Loved it on first listen. Seeing them in 10 minutes - and tomorrow evening too....

Chrome_Head and kouzie like this.
  8. brownsound2112

Absolutely incredible first half. This lot are just stunning live - string quartet, 2 piece horn section, 2 keyboard players, percussionist, 2 guitarists, bassist and a drummer - and everything just jells so well.

They are so on it.

9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think these guys are brilliant, but I have to admit, the only album of theirs that I've loved is the self-titled one, aka Measure, after I heard the mesmerizing song "Lights Up" on the radio out here years back.

Will have to give this new one a chance. That's a pretty snazzy package.

10. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

varitone likes this.
  11. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

‘Tones of Town’ and ‘The week That Was’ are
    incredibly records, Other albums are
    Inconsistent but always have a few
    Tracks that knock you out.

Their use of strings quartets in rock Setting is clever and beautiful.

They’re Definitely a “listen a few times before making a judgment on their album” type of band and
    I’ll listen to the New LP tonight.

12. brownsound2112

Stunning last night. As good as they are one record - they are way better live. So locked in.

Doctorwu and LivingForever like this.
  13. PretzelLogic

Nice. Did Mary Epworth support?

14. brownsound2112

There was no support last night - they’re playing in a small theatre usually used for plays, etc. About 400 capacity - 3 shows including a matinee performance this afternoon.

I’m going tonight with the wife as well - can’t wait.

15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Played the LP last night - sounded decent, but will need a few more closer listens. Just downloaded the MP3s from the included download card and they're 192kbps. WTF?!

16. brownsound2112

Second show was a stunner...as Jarra Lad posted, it was streamed - and its still up.

They are utterly brilliant...

17. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing - that's fantastic!

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Could someone kindly post the DR values of the download/CD?

19. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

This album is top notch, I had given it a few Spotify plays before I got the transparent vinyl today, and listening to that now I'm in audio nirvana!
    Must check out that live show^^

20. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Just wanna spread the word about this great band. Give them a shot if you don't know them. Their Commontime album is a good place to start.

21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I came across a Field Music album last year, Music For Drifters, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was excited to see the new album mentioned here. However not knowing these guys well my expectations were on another planet. Music For Drifters is an all instrumental album apparently created as a soundtrack to a silent film. There is nothing wrong with this album just that I wanted more of the same. Oh well glad to have the gem I do have.

22. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Great show, just a shame that the audio isn’t very good quality (or well mixed)- one of the comments suggests it’ll get remixed and re-edited at some point so hopefully that’s true!

23. brownsound2112

Love this record...will certainly be up there as a record of the year come the end of 2018, of that I’m sure.

24. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Love the self titled double album (Measure) to bits, really like Tones of Town and the debut. For some reason I am having difficulty with the other albums... a little bit too clinical for me. Might be the Prince influence.

How would you describe this new one? As in organic/acoustic vs a clinical/programmed feel?

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The title track of the new album sounds like a Beatles outtake from 1967. Yes, it's that good. The whole album is spectacular and is revealing itself more with repeat listens. Superb.

Robert C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.