FiiO X3 owners - did you know there's new firmware available?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jkauff, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member Thread Starter

I usually keep up on these things, but I just found out that at the end of 2014 FiiO released firmware version 3.3 for the X3.

Main features are the addition of a 5-band equalizer, and the ability to use playlists. Instructions are available for Windows users to create compatible .m3u8 playlists in foobar that will work on the X3.

There's also an X3 II in the works, no firm details at present.

I bought my X3 when it first came out, and it's proved to be one of my best audio investments ever. Not many hardware companies continually add features and fix bugs in a device that sells for well under $200. Thank you, FiiO.

jeffsab likes this.
  2. JMT

JMT Senior Member

Strange, when I go to the FiiO website to download the 3.3 firmware the "click here" link is not active.

3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Yes. My used mint cond x3 had been updated to v3.3 when I bought it. I find it simple to use although haven't found a need for the Equalizer yet.

4. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

The original specs on the X3 say that the micro SD slot accepts only up to 64GB cards. Does the new firmware up that to accept the 128GB cards?

I am ready to dump my iPod...

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

To the OP: Do you use your player in the car, and does it connect in such a way that it is controllable via the head unit?

6. jkauff

128GB cards have always worked, they just haven't been officially supported. That was reserved for the X5.
    It sounds great in the car (the dedicated line out and built-in amplifier make a big difference), but like any device that connects through an AUX port in the car, it's not controllable via the head unit.

7. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I cannot seem to update the firmware on my X3 to the new version. I bought a dedicated Sandisk microCD card (8gb), formatted it with the X3, extracted the X3.fw file to the card, inserted it, pressed the menu and power button. I get the message "file not found".

Any suggestions?

8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

And the newer X1 also supports 128GB

Dino likes this.
  9. danner

danner Forum Resident

Okay, I've been having a weird issue with my FiiO X3 since I bought it, and I haven't been able to find a fix for it yet. Whenever I delete an album from my SD card, it still shows up on my device. Is this a known issue? I haven't had the patience to sift through all the head-fi threads.

10. jkauff

Go into Settings and update the library manually. Automatic mode isn't as reliable.

Master_It_Right likes this.
  11. danner

danner Forum Resident

Hmm, I've tried that, and the deleted files are still there. If I go into folder view, they aren't there. However, they're still showing in my "library," and they're still playable.

12. jkauff

What method did you use to delete them?

13. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I usually delete an album file from the laptop and have never had that problem. I also would advocate manually indexing the card you have inserted to be sure it's updated UNLESS you just browse through the Folder.

14. gregorya

Is it connected to a computer when you delete the files or are you deleting on the device itself?

15. danner

danner Forum Resident

I'm deleting the files directly from the SD card with my MacBook while the X3 is plugged into the USB. Even after manually updating my library on the device, the albums are still there.

16. gregorya

I think your best bet may be to send an email to [email protected] - they are usually quite responsive, but it may take a while right at the moment as it is Chinese New Year.

17. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Make sure you delete the file from the MacBook's trash while the SD card is still inserted, or it won't be removed from the card.

danner, gregorya and jeffsab like this.
  18. danner

danner Forum Resident

Whoa. I think that did the trick. Weird. Thanks!

gregorya and GetHappy!! like this.
  19. gregorya

By Jove, I think he's got it!... ;)

GetHappy!! likes this.
  20. jkauff

Resurrecting this thread to mention that the final version of the X3 Gen 1 firmware 3.4 is now available for download on the FiiO web site. I've been using the beta for a year now, and it's the best firmware to date. This version could be the last we ever see for the original X3.

violetvinyl likes this.
  21. I loaded in 3.4 recently. I'm keeping it for the time being. It seems to sound a little "cleaner" (or maybe more Pono-ish) than the last beta (was it 3.34b?). I may revert back, since I suspect I'll miss the warmer sound, especially with classical music.

22. What are the fixes/upgrades with this firmware? Thanks.

23. jkauff

1. Fixed issue where ID3 tag info were displayed incorrectly;
    2. Fixed issue where in the music folder browsing screens, one could change the volume by holding down the volume button but not by pressing briefly;
    3. Fixed UI display problems in Chinese;
    4. Default volume now set to “Memory” by default;
    5. Path memory feature: Pressing the Back button from the Now Playing screen will now always take you to the folder / album / etc. from which the current song is selected. This is true even after navigating to the main menu or powering the X3 off and back on.
    6. Removed 5800 song limit on number of songs that may be indexed by the X3 media library.
    7. Added option to play through folders: ie skipping to the first song in the next folder after the last song in the current folder.
    8. Added option to delete whole folders.

violetvinyl likes this.
  24. #5 is one i've been waiting for.

25. One thing that wasn't fixed was the "genre" tag for ALAC and AAC. For instance, my Beatles files still come up as "techno". :) Not really a problem for me, but it was always something I checked for with each upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.